After some camera advice please.

I'm looking at either a cheap compact DSLR, the Panasonic FZ38. The only thing that puts me off of this camera is that it doesn't have a manual focus ring or mic jack. It does have a stereo mic though, and the test footage online looks lovely. Saying that, my computer is 4 years old and will struggle to edit HD methinks.

Or,

a five year old mini-dv Pananasonic NV-GS250 3CCD, with manual focus ring and mic jack, but obviously, SD.

I'm not a photographer, but I wouldn't mind going in that direction with a DSLR. I'll mainly be using whichever I buy to film skating and maybe a few short films.

I have about £250 (english pounds) to spend. Maybe you know of a little gem that i'm missing? Any advice is appreciated, but the budget is fixed. Is there a compact DSLR in this price range with a focus ring?

I wouldn't get anything that requires manual focus for filming sports/action. That is, unless you want to work and work and practice and practice focus wracking until you are as good as a pro ;)

The GS250 was a great camera in its day. Excellent for shooting
skating and for a few short films. You won’t have to upgrade your
current computer and you can get shooting and editing right away.

After getting a feel of what it takes to put together a few short
films you can upgrade to what ever is inexpensive and popular
then.

my computer is 4 years old and will struggle to edit HD methinks.

No point getting even a cheap HD camera, if you can't edit the footage.

Maybe you know someone who has an HD camera, who will let you load some footage to test? Probably easier just to list your computer specs, actually. Don't forget, you'll need editing software that can handle the HD footage as well - and there's more than one flavour of HD, and those DSLRs use their own.

I think the Panasonic FZ38 is actually a bridge camera, rather than a DSLR. Please correct me if I'm wrong about that, but I don't think I am...

As such it does not have the benefits of a DSLR but will still have the negatives. And without the manual focus and changeable lenses then you're losing a whole bunch of the benefits.

My suggestion would be to look at second hand MiniDV- probably a better solution within your price range, or perhaps saving up for a DSLR.

The GS250 was a great camera in its day. Excellent for shooting
skating and for a few short films. You won’t have to upgrade your
current computer and you can get shooting and editing right away.

After getting a feel of what it takes to put together a few short
films you can upgrade to what ever is inexpensive and popular
then.

This is what I was thinking.

I built my computer myself in 2005.

CPU - Athlon 3200
Ram - 2gb PC3200 (good brand)
GFX - Nvidia 8800GTS 320mb
Audigy 2 sound card
1 180gb sata hard drive and 1 40gb ide hard drive

It still runs bloody good for its age, i'm proud of it, so i wont be upgrading for a couple years yet (waiting for a specific game to be released before doing so).

My mistake also, the FZ38 is a bridge.

It's funny how many of the older mini-dv cameras still have many advantages over more modern digital camcorders, such as mic inputs and other options, as well as picture quality in many cases.

I know this isn't the camera forum, so thanks a lot for the feedback, it's appreciated.

Are the Panasonic 3ccd range of mini-dv cameras the best in that type of camera, or are the equivalent Sony's (or other) from the same period better in any ways?

I wouldn't get anything that requires manual focus for filming sports/action. That is, unless you want to work and work and practice and practice focus wracking until you are as good as a pro ;)

That is a good point. As much as i love the idea of manual focus, i'll probably use it a lot less than I think.

Well I went and bought a GS250. Girlfriend says i'm not allowed it until after Christmas...so naive >:]

Now i'll just need to pick myself up a microphone and make a handle. Hopefully i'll soon be able to make my first short from something i've written myself.

Back