AFM: What's the point?

The last of what's left of the obsolete Blockbuster stores are closing.
It's very rare that an indie film gets theatrical distribution, and even when it does the whole thing is regarded as a break even "promotion" for the DVD release.
So for the vast vast majority of films, you're looking at Internet distribution. Anybody can get digital distribution at any time. NO NEED for a traditional distributor! So what the hell are they selling at this convention? It can't be the DVD rental market.

I've watched as the brick and mortar CD distribution disappeared. The DVD distribution business is just a few years behind schedule.

it's more than a few years for anyone that enjoys blu rays..

an mp3 takes up a handful of megabytes
a blue ray quality rip takes up GIGABYTES

You can have thousands of songs on your hard drive.. you can only have a handful of bluray films.. or perhaps a few hundred dvd rips

That's the biggest difference between the music and video markets when it comes to internet distribution imo

You can have thousands of songs on your hard drive.. you can only have a handful of bluray films.. or perhaps a few hundred dvd rips

That's the biggest difference between the music and video markets when it comes to internet distribution imo
And what percentage of indie Blue Ray sales are in brick and mortar stores?

I predict that AFM will be discontinued one of these years.

It wouldn't be a lot. A lot of the sales are dominated by the high budget studio films. It doesn't mean other sales don't happen, it's just a smaller percentage.

I disagree, but then again that's just both our personal opinion.
Unless there's a lot of major release activity going on at AFM. The one year I was there it looked like all indie stuff.
I just don't see the point in going to an expensive convention to search for virtual shelf space that anyone can have.

AFM is not what many people believe it is. The vast majority of
prodCo’s and studios with films at the market are looking for
foreign buyers - European, Asian and UK buyers. It’s where
non-US produced films can find US buyers.

It’s not for “independent” films in the way most people here use
that term. It’s name producers with name directors and name
actors who have produced their films independently of a studio
deal. It’s companies like Weinstein, Gaumont, Shoreline and
Lionsgate offering their product to European, Asian and UK buyers.
It’s for prodCo’s to find cable TV sales. It’s for films that actually
have a DVD/BluRay life - a movie people want to buy to put on
their shelves. Traditional brick and mortar rental locations are
dropping away but Red Box, Amazon and Netflix still buy hundreds
of thousands of physical copies. There are still physical units at
Target, Wallmart, Best Buy.

You’ll see films with budgets in the mid six figures starring names
like Danny Trejo, Dylan McDermott. Gina Gershon, Jerry O’Connell,
Van Damme, James Franco, Mila Kunis. Not “A-list” who can open
a film wide but films that do have a shot at a small theatrical release.
On Monday (Nov. 11) AFM is screening a Duran Duran doc directed
by David Lynch.

AFM is more than buyers and sellers - its a film festival where there
are many world premiers, it’s a convention. There is no point for
an indie director with a sub $500,000 film with no names going.
But a lot of movies are sold to a lot of territories at AFM.

I was going to comment on some of the available markets, but Rik nailed it.

I haven't produced anything lately, but 3 of my movies are still selling, mainly VOD and cable and the occasional territory sale. Most recently (meaning September), my 13 year old movie, TERRARIUM, was released in the U.K. as....EXODUS, on DVD. I guess the U.K. distributor heard about Ridley Scott's upcoming movie and stole that title!

I don't know why no one will use the most appropriate title (TERRARIUM); they keep calling it things that it is not. :lol: These are all the same movie:

terrariumtitles.jpg

I don't know why no one will use the most appropriate title (TERRARIUM); they keep calling it things that it is not. :lol: These are all the same movie:

lol All the others communicate something to the average potential viewer. Terarawhatthe? just doesnt evoke anything as strong. Not knowing anything about the film (especially not on the same level as it's creator of course), we muggles require a bit of state-the-effing-obvious clarity on the product before we chuck a few quid at the cashier (or turn over the channel) for it.

It's just pop ideology, lowest common denominators etc, and the title is usually the first thing we see (along with the cover art). It's the first make-or-break point when deciding if the product is for us. While the creator might hold more intrinsic artistic value to the presentation, a reseller only cares about shifting units to an audience with an ever decreasing attention span, and no cliche is safe from them! :yes:

As disappointing as it might be to see it fudged about by third parties so much, I personally would take it as a lesson in how to pick better titles with a wider, and more instant, appeal. :)

I personally would take it as a lesson in how to pick better titles with a wider, and more instant, appeal. :)

For distributors, instant appeal for an unknown movie, is to sound like something else...something famous. Years ago, it was pretty amusing to see it released as WAR OF THE PLANETS, exactly one week before Spielberg's WAR OF THE WORLDS hit video stores. They even got the same announcer to do the trailer, after he voiced the trailer for WORLDS. The confusion (title/timing) worked and this literally "shot in the backyard" flick charted well in the opening weeks, while pissing off a lot of people expecting a big budget movie. :)

Compare the trailers and you can see how they aped the opening of the Spielberg one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrCnXLlhuls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2bEfPPRpgc

Fast forward to this year and the marketing is associating it with the likes of ELYSIUM and EXODUS. I'm just surprised it keeps rising from the dead. :lol:

Last edited:
The confusion (title/timing) worked and my "shot in the backyard" flick charted well in the opening weeks, while pissing off a lot of people expecting a big budget movie.
I've heard of this "title confusion" happening, often having something to do with films put out by The Asylum, but had always figured it applied to a small percentage of customers so ignorant of WTH they were grabbing off the shelves.

Your experience is the first actual first hand incidence I've encountered.

Would you say that there's "a surprising" number of uninformed consumers out there that just kinda sorta know WTH they're doing when selecting something to watch?

What other sort of useful take-aways about end consumers have you figured from your experiences?
Will you apply those to your future film projects, both in production and marketing?

Fast forward to this year and the marketing is associating it with the likes of ELYSIUM and EXODUS. I'm just surprised it keeps rising from the dead. :lol:

Love it! The film that keeps on giving. :yes:

Gotta be honest, the title Terrarium never did much for me, but it did make sense for the subject matter. Maybe a variation "TERRORIUM" would have been a possibility?

Still, I think it's just awesome that film keeps getting repurposed and rebranded.

Scoopic, were you still planning on shooting that werewolf flick?

Would you say that there's "a surprising" number of uninformed consumers out there that just kinda sorta know WTH they're doing when selecting something to watch?

Yes, but a lot of them are wising up after being deceived multiple times. With social media, instant reviews, etc, people are quick to spread the word and warn others. It's funny how many I read that start out with, "I bought this, thinking I was getting...." Then they go on a rant.

What other sort of useful take-aways about end consumers have you figured from your experiences?
Will you apply those to your future film projects, both in production and marketing?

First and foremost, this is becoming a more critical world to sell to. It was campy to look low budget in years past, but with the proliferation of indie productions from the late 90's into around 2008, viewers got tired of watching no budget crap, which filled the shelf space between blockbuster productions. The indie filmmaker can't just complete a movie and sell it as much, anymore. Unless...that movie is done well enough to make it less distinguishable from studio fare. This is a tall task for a producer to accomplish, but it can be done.

I will certainly apply what I've learned to the next production, which is not to reveal obvious production shortcomings. If the acting is good, along with good camera work and sound, then it's hard to "see" a low budget. In my case, I won't be reaching far beyond my means on the next feature (as was the case with of a few of my sci-fi productions). For my next project, I'm going to incorporate the best actors I can get into real world surroundings. That doesn't mean that I can't be fantastical with subject, just that it has to quack like a real production.

Marketing-wise, social media (Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, etc.) is so instrumental, nowadays. There was another movie from Las Vegas, called BUBBLEGUM & BROKEN FINGERS, that did a nice job selling out their premiere. They used social media to help sell tickets well in advance of the screening. They were sold out a week or two ahead of time, which is a lot smarter than booking a venue and hoping that people will come because they saw your advertising.

We did some extensive advertising and got quite a bit of local coverage - 7 radio interviews , 3 news spots, ads in weekly newspapers, like THIS one. We had 5,000 flyers passed out. I went to Cox Cable and found a deal where they would run your commercial 60 times (for a thousand bucks), during various times - many of which were late at night, on the Sci Fy Channel. Some were primetime and a lot of people said that they saw my spots. I put the website on the bottom of the commercial, thinking that viewers would use the link and order DVDs. Not! You really have to spell everything out and hit people over the head with "Buy it here and now!" I know now why advertisers are often so obnoxious; they are competing with a whole world of advertising and attention spans are short, indeed.

I haven't shot a feature in 6 years, so I haven't had the chance to promote with social media, which is a huge reservoir worth tapping. It's on my list, along with a lot of other things.

Last edited:
Great read! Mike is the man..

Ill chime in on the bit about media storage woes as mentioned here..

in short, its only a temporary problem. Storage density doubles every 2 years or so while price per bit for that storage is halved. you will have 1,000 Terabyte drives within 10 years or so.

The future is download only, though you might not even call it that in a few years.

Last edited:
Great read! Mike is the man..

Ill chime in on the bit about media storage woes as mentioned here..

in short, its only a temporary problem. Storage density doubles every 2 years or so while price per bit for that storage is halved. you will have 1,000 Terabyte drives within 10 years or so.

perhaps, but storage has also moved to SSD, which is not nearly as large right now as spinning disc hard drives. it is only a matter of time I don't think it is 5 years or something like the OP was making it out to be

Bandwidth is still a concern when it comes to streaming/downloads. In major metropolitan areas it's getting pretty solid - I've got 50mbit downloads now in SF on cable, and I'm looking at upgrading to 500mbit (!!!) downloads on FIOS when I move. At that point even blu-ray level quality is easy to stream & download.

The problem is once you get outside of those major metropolitan areas it's pretty hit or miss in terms of the speeds available, and there are large parts of the US where they aren't likely to get to those kinds of download speeds anytime soon. That leaves a lot of room for physical media to maintain a market, although it's likely that kiosks like RedBox will make more sense in the smaller markets than full stores.

Crazy thing though, I was in Fry's (a local discount electronics chain) recently and they had a whole section devoted to vinyl - all recent mainstream releases too. It wasn't there a year ago. I did a little research and it turns out record sales are rising for the first time in 15 years! It's not a big chunk of the industry (~$200 million), but the fact that an essentially dead medium for music is making even a small comeback is interesting, especially considering that CD sales are still declining. Some portion of the audience does seem to still value the physical object - at least when it does something more than simply store the content.

Many people have multi-terabyte disks right now.

As far as it goes there is still life left in spinning disks as its the cheapest route to max data storage right now..

SD is in early adopt phase, it is not "required" for anything particular. SSD wont significantly matter until a TB of SSD cost no more than twice the cost of a TB of spinning disks, which will happen pretty soon, either that or the tech will be leap forged by something else.

Consider that I only need all that capacity on my home system if I don't have the bandwidth to stream it, as far as it goes, I don't think that many consumers and media providers are even planing on local storage for media content in the future.. why bother..

a large land mass does not equal a large market.

Having been subjugated to the back water of the internet via satellite modem for 7 years taught me that the "money" aint in rural service. I spent hours on the phone with service providers, government agencies, lawyers and in the end it was a dead end. I even had fiber trunk 20 feet from my house, but it was still dark, with no plan to turn in on in the next 10 years. I was willing to pay $300 a month for DSL like service, nobody could help.

There is no real ROI, any serious effort to get service to rural areas has hitherto been by legal degree. The money just isn't there.

Many people have multi-terabyte disks right now.

As far as it goes there is still life left in spinning disks as its the cheapest route to max data storage right now..

SD is in early adopt phase, it is not "required" for anything particular.

of course it's not required.. it's just a premium storage.. my hard drive is all ssd, it's great. my computer boots up in a matter of seconds

Yup, what ever is premium today becomes base configuration and practically required to run any of the new games\applications or whatever the next thing is.

Back