• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Affordable light set?

I am looking into investing in a light set for my future film shoots. I haven't used many lights in the past,( a couple times with LED lights), but I think its necessary for the stuff I am trying to shoot. I will be shooting a TV show this spring and also a short film coming up. I enjoy low light lenses but I figure lights will be a help as well.

What are my options as far as budget? Can I keep it under $500?

Ok thanks everyone for the help. I am getting a better understanding of LED lights now... It seems that LED's aren't worth investing in unless you invest a lot... I definitely can't afford those $2,500, but I mean would something like these even be worth it?

http://cheesycam.com/2pc-500-led-video-light-kit-with-stands/

And if you think these aren't worth it, which direction should I go in with lights? I have been recommended tungsten by people who don't suggest LED. I have around $500 to invest in some lights for my upcoming shoot, what would you guys choose?

Lights!

Here's a cheap & basic three-point lighting kit: linkage

:hmm:

Those stands aren't made out of plastic are they? I couldn't find anything about what material they were made out of.

I believe these are made of aluminum which would explain the price difference? Or is there not really a difference aside from ~$100...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/298604-REG/Impact_401470_Three_Light_Mini_Boom_Kit.html
or
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/610081-REG/Westcott_403_uLite_3_Light_Video.html

With the Westcott I simply find it more appealing to not have my backlight in a softbox? But the stand is way too small.

Definitely took note of the sand bags (that you linked earlier).

I'm guessing these lights are more so for noobs like me and should serve their purpose up until you're serious about throwing 2-3k down for a light kit. I shoot 2-3 min sketches.

Of those three do you still recommend the one you initially linked from Amazon? (These questions are fair game for anyone)

Those stands aren't made out of plastic are they?

No, they are made out of very lightweight hollow metal tubing, with plastic joints. (The plastic joints tend to strip on the metal bolt after a while, which is why I recommend keeping epoxy on hand - fix it right up)

I'm guessing these lights are more so for noobs like me and should serve their purpose up until you're serious about throwing 2-3k down for a light kit. I shoot 2-3 min sketches.

Of those three do you still recommend the one you initially linked from Amazon? (These questions are fair game for anyone)

I linked that one in particular for two reasons.

1) It's close to the pricepoint that the OP seemed interested in.

2) I've used them, and still do.

I would recommend them if you have very little money, but want a regular kit which is easy to use, easy to replace bulbs with, and which packs away neatly. Same things for the LED lights, too. Neither would be preferential first choice, mind you. On the other hand, if that's what the budget allows for, that's what happens :)

If the budget allows, you can typically just rent the majority of what you need anyway. A small amount of money can go a long way at a rental house.

Jax said:
I'd rather use a Kino over a cheap LED light - the falloff is short, the CRI is rarely great..

Yup, but beggars can't be choosers. :cool:

Thanks everyone for the help.

"I'm guessing these lights are more so for noobs like me and should serve their purpose up until you're serious about throwing 2-3k down for a light kit. I shoot 2-3 min sketches.
Of those three do you still recommend the one you initially linked from Amazon? "

I agree on this... So the ones you linked Zensteve, you would recommend those over an LED torch light or a set of Z96 or an LED in the $300 range? My budget is around $300 and I do want the best bang for my buck, so just trying to figure it out before I purchase.

Last edited:
I shoot 2-3 min sketches.
Of those three do you still recommend the one you initially linked from Amazon?

I know nothing about your filming location, which would be more relevant than what type of comedy you shoot.

you would recommend those over an LED torch light or a set of Z96 or an LED in the $300 range? My budget is around $300 and I do want the best bang for my buck, so just trying to figure it out before I purchase.

For $300, you could get that 3-point lightkit, a set of 3600k replacement bulbs for colour temp changes, sandbags, extension cables, power strips, a few extra lightstands, a couple of battery-powered LED lights, some scoop-lights from Home Depot, some Edison adapters, and a 2' x 4' white foam reflector board from Home Depot. Maybe have enough left over for one of those 5-in-1 collapsable reflectors. Maybe. That's fairly general.

Nothing that I suggest is going to be the one perfect solution, 'cos it's always gonna be about the right tool for the right job - when you can. Still, for $300 you're off to a decent start... and there'll always be more, and you'll discover a way to need more.

I have been recommended tungsten by people who don't suggest LED.

If you were talking about a larger budget, I'd absolutely agree. I love tungsten, too. There's a lot you can do with a limited budget and plain ol' ParCan lighting, bounce & diffusion. I 'spose there's no end of variations, and "right way", is there :)

Back