• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

advice on a key light

I am a complete beginner at filmmaking, and I'm currently piecing together a starter lighting kit. I jumped on a deal i found for two 105w fluorescent lamps with reflector umbrellas and stands. I was thinking i can use those as fill lights. I came across a great deal on a 150w tota and a 600w smith victor lamp. Just wondering if either of these two lamps would likely handle my need of a decent key light. I realize every situation is different, but I'm on a very low budget and i just want to piece together an affordable kit that will be decently versatile. any thoughts?

How much are you considering for the 600w Smith Victor? You can get an equivalent at Home Depot for not much at all... though if the SV has a stand already, that would make it a bit more desirable.

You really need to look up China Balls. One of the best (and cheapest) ways to light a good scene.

Forum member Scott Spears has an informational video about them, here:
http://www.scottspears.net/video-tech-tips.html

:cool:

I like a focused light of some kind for a key. Look for a used Mole Richardson mini mole or mifdet mole. Should run about $150 with barn doors. Not a ton of power, but if you're shooting DSLR they can work pretty well as a key.

The 600w incandescent is right around the right minimum illumination you're going to want for a typical 3 point lighting setup. I tend to like to sway toward 1000w for key so I can move the fixture farther from the subject and reduce the "hot spot" caused by the light being too close to the subject.

If you can get something with barndoors, you'll be really happy with yourself (although I have a full set of S&V 500w that I'm really happy with) as you'll have much more control over where the light doesn't go on set.

Yeah, 200W not ideal, 650 is better. I use mine generally for a rim light, just threw it out there because they are so cheap. I got a mini and a midget for $300 shipped from a used dealer. I'd rather have 200w I can focus and with barn doors than 650 watts I couldn't control.

awesome. thank you guys so much for the good advice. it's nice to have a place to ask questions where you can get some advice rather than people just using it as an opportunity to treat people like idiots for trying to learn the basics. I've had that happen way too much in forums. Yeah, i was definitely looking for something with barn doors for my 'go to' key light. The two fluorescent 105w lights i picked up came with reflective umbrellas, stands, bulbs, and a soft case for 50 bucks, so I couldn't pass on em. I appreciate the advice on the low cost lights. I'm on a tight budget, and I'm doing my best to put together a complete starter filmmaking kit. I still need a couple lights, as well as a decent shotgun mic. On top of all that, I still have to buy all my latex and make up and whatnot, as I am hoping to start working on a short slasher in early summer, and I want to do all practical effects. I know it's a lot to bite off for a first project, but it's what I love, and the reason I want to learn.

Never overlook DIY when you're on a budget: http://www.coollights.biz/free-clbd4-barndoor-template-p-48.html

Barndoors for any lights with enough structure to support the weight (or you could also build a frame to attach them to a more stable piece of the light :)

Some Barbecue grille black interior paint or black car engine paint would hold up to any heat the lights would pump out and give a nice matte black pro looking finish to the gear (also canceling any reflections the bare doors would provide).

Never overlook DIY when you're on a budget: http://www.coollights.biz/free-clbd4-barndoor-template-p-48.html

Barndoors for any lights with enough structure to support the weight (or you could also build a frame to attach them to a more stable piece of the light :)

Some Barbecue grille black interior paint or black car engine paint would hold up to any heat the lights would pump out and give a nice matte black pro looking finish to the gear (also canceling any reflections the bare doors would provide).

thanks a ton. Yeah, Im currently trying to come with a plan to filter the two lights I picked up. I want to be able to use filters to get different light temps. Problem is, they are just basic stands with light sockets on top... no frame to work off. They do have the holes for inserting umbrellas, which came with the kit. I thought of making a wire frame to attach a filter to, with a long straight piece of wire to put through the umbrella hole (basically creating a wire square that would float out in front of the bulb). It's just that so much light would be escaping all around the frame that I don't know if it'd be effective. If anyone has a better plan, I'm open to suggestions.

Back