• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Advice needed: too many ideas

Alright, well I'm still pretty new to this forum but I have been writing and filming projects for at least a couple years now. I love writing and telling great stories whether it be through screenplays or whatever but the problem I have is that I have notebooks full of many feature length stories and many shorts that I just love and I even have full outlines for most of them, but I just don't have the time to work on them all. I know this is a ridiculous complaint but I was wondering, what do you guys do to help you focus on one story and stay focused. I have been trying so many things even trying to find others to write screenplays from my ideas but, so far, nothing really seems to work. I have heard a few things like keep an item around that conveys some idea of your story to inspire you or some other goofy ones but I still have a hard time staying with one idea when I have so many differant genres and ideas to pick from. Also, I am constantly adding to my notebooks which makes it even harder. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
There are many ways to remain focused. I personally like to keep a text file on my main machine (that is backed up every few days) that is a scratch pad. I type only the most brief explanations of my random ideas so it clears me to concentrate on what I am working on. Months later I return to the list and I delete anything that is stupid on second consideration, and I flesh out and organize ideas that seem good enough to keep.

There is always one other way. Work on something that has many random ideas and use them all. It is possible to do this, but you need to be careful to have tools in your storytelling that keep everything somehow related to the storyline. There are many examples, check out WB's Animaniacs for one of the many ways of presenting multiple ideas in a single show. This is not suitable for many genres (Horror is what sticks out), so it depends on what your ideas and interests are

Having reams of ideas, stories, and outlines isn't a problem...it's a gift! But in order to get anywhere, you need to pick one to see to fruition. Is there one that niggles your brain more than others? One you constantly go back to? One that invades your dreams? One you visualize as a movie when waiting for the bus? Pick the one idea that you are most passionate about and FINISH IT! Hammer out a proper screenplay. Don't stop and revise, just write. Know that most of this first draft might end up being crappy, but finish it. Then revise. Then revise again. Then let someone else read it, maybe someone who has directed movies before, and get input. Revise again. And again. And again. Then shop it around or (if you are a hobbyist filmmaker) get a director and crew and MAKE YOUR MOVIE!

It helps me to give myself a deadline. I tell myself I need to have a first draft done by next Friday, for example. Then it doesn't matter what other ideas I might have in the interim...I can write them down for later, but my main task is the screenplay in front of me.

Also consider this...if you have an idea, and don't feel the need or desire to develop it any further before a different idea invades your brain, perhaps its a sign that you're not that passionate about or invested in the first idea.

Thanks for the advice so far and having too many ideas is a gift. I just love each one nearly to death but I am currently trying to finish a script I came up with a few months ago and so far it's been going good I just really can't seem to stay focused on this one. I really love the idea I just think maybe there is some small bit that I am missing that will really inspire me. So far I have 35 pages and a finished outlined for it but I've had to keep taking breaks because I have spent a huge amount of time on this and the material isn't the lightest stuff either. Also like boybunny said I need to organize a bit more or just maybe come up with a new idea to work on next that encompasses many of my ideas. I have tons of notebooks that need to be typed out coherently and organized to make it easier for me.

dont linger on a story, be spontaneous just write and write. then check it. if you like what you have written then happy days, if not check it and sort it.

It sounds like you don't have one idea that you love and a few that you like. Keep searching. Seriously. When it hits you you won't stop writing.

Thank you everyone for the advice. I have so much going on right now it's hard to focus on any ideas right now but I'm trying hard to push forward.
And indietalk thank you. I know it may seem like it would be much easier if I love the idea but honestly the problem is I love at least a few equally. I usually do not even begin writing a script unless I really love the idea. I guess I just need to relax and go with the flow. lol.

Keep all your ideas together, but try to learn to trust your instincts for the moment when an idea comes to you that's just too good to just keep in the pile. You'll know when it hits you. Until then, just calm down, take the ideas as they come and wait for the right one to smack you upside the head.

I'm currently trying to organize all of my ideas into coherent files and I'm trying rework a scene where there is a lot of exposition and trying to find a way to change it up and keep it a little interesting compared to most "point it out" type scenes. The enemy in the script is a private investigator and needs to basically explain an ongoing case with his partner and also his plan to blackmail his client. Do you guys have any suggestions on how to make this exposition scene more interesting or different?

Well, I'd probably have to look at the piece itself, but I can tell you that it would probably be good to try and have other things happening while you lay all this plot on the table, give the characters something to do that reveals who they are and where they come from while you're bringing us up to speed on all the important details.

what i do is keep ideas for scenes instead of movies, then i dont force them just say hey thats good stuff and remember and a lot of times if youre writing and you get stuck, then one of these old ideas will end up working, and if you think of them as seperate ideas that arent from the same train of thought, it makes the story more interesting and unpredictable

Back