Actors Entitled to Free DVD?

Hey everyone.

My question is: do you think all actors that worked on a set are entitled to a free copy of the DVD? Regardless of the time spent on set, and whether or not the film was picked up for distro. What about if it's not in the initial contract the actor signed? No matter what the budget?

Is it the right thing to do?

Thanks.

That's the absolute least a film maker can do.

Quite a few of the Us Sinners actors have told me that they haven't gotten copies of other movies they've been in from the film makers. I find that disgraceful. Even if it's just a DVD-R everyone should get one. If a person doesn't have time, $100 for a hundred dupes.

If the crew/actorsare paid....They can buy the thing.

If you have a volunteer army....you better hand out DVD with a big cheesy grin and say thank you a lot.

Just My $.02

My question is: do you think all actors that worked on a set are entitled to a free copy of the DVD?
From a purely legal standpoint it's whatever was agreed upon in the beginning. Did you run ads saying anything about a free copy? What does the written contract say? If there's no mention, then they are not entitled to any free copy. It really doesn't matter what is typical or standard on OTHER movies either. It also doesn't matter what happens AFTER the ink dries. What's done is done. They agreed to do X work in consideration for X.

Having said that, if some people ask for a copy I usually just give them one unless they were a pain in the ass during shooting.

Back