• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

Action on Film International festival

Just recieved an email saying one of their screeners at the Action on film international festival saw my film Airport 9/11 and it would be guaranteed to be screened at the Action on film international festival www.aoffest.com

The festival is based at Long Beach, CA and has festival fees of between $30 to $50, although i am told i would get a $5 discount.

Has anyone got any experience of the Action on film international festival? What is it like?

Why would they tell you it's going to be screened, and then ask for an entry fee? That's backwards. If you are invited, you are invited. Looks like they want some money, and then who knows what they'll say.

Yes thats what i thought aswell.

I shall send them an email saying if i am invited i should not have to pay any entry fees and see what they say. If they don't approve i shall consider their invitation is just a money making scam.

Last edited:
Ok, they have just replied to my email saying they are happy to waive my entry fee because they want to show Airport 9/11 however i would not qualify for any prizes as they do not consider it fair to compete against other filmmakers who have actually paid the entry fees.

What do you think?

They are full of *insert curse word here* . These people that are running this thing are full of it. Have a little more pride for yourselfand find a better film festival.

I agree with Jack..

When a film is invited to be part of a festival it is always accepted free, and always is still in the running for prizes. I would have to put some serious thought into whether or not to allow my film to play in a festival being run so poorly.

You might want to keep looking around at other fests to see what else might want it. Then again I suppose if it is free even without being able to win anything the exposure would be good right? Good luck

I've received email 'invitations' that turned into nothing more than commercial advertisments requiring I pay a large fee to enter my films into a festival.

It's nothing but an advertisment. :grrr:

I say get 'em back at their own game. I replied back to one 'invitation' with a BS story that my lawyers read the email and the word 'invitation' constituted a free invite. I told them if they demanded an entrance fee that my lawyer would contest the 'email contract'. They recinded the email invite immediately. :lol:

Well the way i see it, is that i have all to gain and so little to lose.

You know to me festivals is all about exposure as you never know whose going to be in the audience, and i never really think about winning prizes anyway!

we entered one of our most rejected films in AOF and finally got a screening, so they will play it if they invite you and last year David Carradine and lots of people were there, so it's not bad, they're just trying to run the fest which in their location (it was at Long Beach convention center I believe) surely cost some bucks. It focuses more on the karate conevention than the films though, but they're trying to combine that.
at least you know they'll play it and you can always put "official selection" plus "invitation" which makes your film look even more wanted.

I didn't go, so not really sure, there might be pics on the site, but I heard from the filmmakers there were a lot of people there for the karate convention and not so much the films, but it still played, it followed with a q&a and was overall a decent experience. And just helps the film look good, get recognition, I guess their awards ceremony was a big deal.

I think the best thing to do is to have David Carradine in your short and launch it at this fest! That would get a great turn out for the film and probably some sales!

Back