• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Accountability!

Hey everyone!

I am new to the site and I joined because I am sick of procrastinating and I want to get some accountability for practicing writing and following through with projects.

So Im going to be posting updates on my writing and everyone is welcome to do the same so we can discuss!

Dont give up!:cool:

Thank you!
Justin

Welcome!

You writing to shoot yourself as director/producer - or - writing pie-in-the-sky hoping someone else will shell out the time and money?
It makes a difference in what you write, seriously.

Short(s)? A 90-110page feature length screenplay? What's your goal/target?

Ray

I honestly dont have a goal right now. I eventually want to write/direct my own stuff but I need to get really good at writing. Im just trying to develop a steady writing habit.

I have a habit of getting really excite about an idea but It slowly fades away or Ill get inspired to start making a short but it fades away.

Any advice?

Btw, I will be attending Full Sail University for film so im definitely going to be doing a lot.

Im just trying to develop a steady writing habit at the moment. I think Im just going to write a feature length script for practice. Any advice?

Well, honestly you should do what you feel is right...But, I remember when I first started and what I felt was right at the time was to make a feature length. I found out that its hard as shit and will drive you nuts. So, my advice would be to start a little smaller just so you can get into the flow of writing and creating that perfect story arch.

I thought it was just about getting your thoughts down on paper, but that's really just the beginning. There's a whole framework to build, characters to develop, plots to drive from point A to point B. Dialogue has to be genuine to your characters and the situations, as well as interesting. I mean, you're basically trying to figure out how to create an artificial world on paper...with a bunch of technical wordings and grammatical devices.

But above all, you have to get used to harsh criticism, rejection, and copious amounts of rewrites. I mean, if you're serious about it, you're going to be writing so much, you'll go crazy by the end of each week. Worse, you'll be unable to really concentrate or think much about anything else until you figure out whatever problem you have with your story. If you're serious about it, you'll bleed over your work until there's nothing left to your own livelihood.

Or you know, you'll figure out a way to balance it all out and live a healthy normal life and still make it happen.

I wish you and everyone else on this forum the best of luck.

I honestly dont have a goal right now. I eventually want to write/direct my own stuff but I need to get really good at writing. Im just trying to develop a steady writing habit.

I have a habit of getting really excite about an idea but It slowly fades away or Ill get inspired to start making a short but it fades away.

Any advice?

Btw, I will be attending Full Sail University for film so im definitely going to be doing a lot.

That's awesome you're going to Full Sail! I wish I could go back to school and get a degree in Film, especially somewhere like that or the NYFA.

Anyway, there really isn't much advice for this. I assume you're a senior in High School or just graduated? If so, then just have fun, go to school, learn as much as you can and when you get out, then you can start really worrying about your procrastinating habits.

Thank you!

What is everyone working on?

Well, right now I'm working on my first screenplay with my brother who is a film student. I've worked on a few with him and a lot more when we were kids and always liked making films but for a while I never saw it as a worthwhile endeavour until I finished this horrible student teaching internship at this high school. It was so horrible and stressful, I contracted the shingles and I'm only 24! I guess it was then, when I realized that no matter what you do in life, if you want to make something of yourself, its going to be really fucking hard. There is no path of least resistance. I mean, if you want a job yeah, but if you want meaning and some sort of identity, you toil away for it.

So, I did a lot of self reflection, went to Vegas, did a bunch of drugs and came back realizing what I really should be doing. Making films with my brother. And, that's where I'm at. I'm only three months into it, but I feel like I'm making more progress than I ever had working as a teacher.

It's the hardest thing I've ever done in my life and I'm busting out about 60 to 70 hours a week for nothing but a chance to maybe get a little bit of attention from others. I have the utmost respect for every artist out there who has a strong following of people, even if I think its crap and I don't like it. Because when you really think about it, they're modern day tribe leaders who created a whole new world for millions of others.

I find that having a designated writing spot (library, coffee shop, book store, office, etc.) where you don't do anything but write helps me to be more productive. By establishing the mental pattern that, when I'm HERE I WRITE, lets me get right into the groove. It helps me with my own discipline as well as minimizing interruptions.

am thinking of writing my first screenplay for my first feature film(horror) a one location film, i cant come up with a gud enough premise, am about to blow up, av been at it 4 a week now...any help pls!

am thinking of writing my first screenplay for my first feature film(horror) a one location film, i cant come up with a gud enough premise, am about to blow up, av been at it 4 a week now...any help pls!

A man, struggling to write a feature film screenplay, blows up. The four members of his close family are informed that he had a rare condition that caused him to explode when he couldn't come up with a good screenplay idea. The disease is an undetectable genetic illness and they each have a one in four chance of having the illness. There is, however, a cure that cost $50,000 per person, money that the family don't have. BUT WAIT! There's a big screenplay writing competition coming to town, the first prize for which is $200,000. Can the family win the money? Or will one of them explode in the process?

This shit just writes itself.

Back