A series of questions.

Hello again, I'm back with a series of questions.

First off, I am in need of some filming equipment (boom mic, lighting, etc.) and I'm not going to have much cash. So what I was looking at was to rent the needed equipment instead. I currently live in a small town in Kentucky and there are no such place close by. What should I look under for places that would have the equipment I need for rental? The most I've found was place that rented standard camcorders for use in weddings and such; no boom mics or anything of that sort.

In conjunction with the first question; what is the least amount of equipment I will need for a small budget movie? Or, what are some cheap substitutes I could make. I already have the lighting figured out and the blood/gore effects are a synch for me, but as far as the boom mic and other equipment, I'm stumped.

And lastly, where would I have to go to find a professional (or semiprofessional) editing facility. In other words, some place that will allow me to edit my movie. I got misled on my current computer and it's nowhere near able to handle editing movies and all my friends are in the same boat. I know a guy who does work, editing movies but it's a real long shot. I'm thinking of just simply renting that as well but alas, I'm unsure where one would rent one.

I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting but that's the basics. Thanks in advance.

Hello again, I'm back with a series of questions.

First off, I am in need of some filming equipment (boom mic, lighting, etc.) and I'm not going to have much cash. So what I was looking at was to rent the needed equipment instead. I currently live in a small town in Kentucky and there are no such place close by. What should I look under for places that would have the equipment I need for rental? The most I've found was place that rented standard camcorders for use in weddings and such; no boom mics or anything of that sort.
Many small towns that don't have a thriving film production business don't rent all the needed equipment. I don't think you aren't finding what you need because you are looking for the wrong thing - I think you are looking in the wrong place city. What city are you in?

In conjunction with the first question; what is the least amount of equipment I will need for a small budget movie? Or, what are some cheap substitutes I could make. I already have the lighting figured out and the blood/gore effects are a synch for me, but as far as the boom mic and other equipment, I'm stumped.
A boom pole can be as simple as a painters poll with a shock mount attached. Check B&H Photo for prices. I'm afraid there isn't a cheap substitute for a good shotgun mic. A shotgun mic is actually a really good investment - it will last longer than your camera.

And lastly, where would I have to go to find a professional (or semiprofessional) editing facility. In other words, some place that will allow me to edit my movie. I got misled on my current computer and it's nowhere near able to handle editing movies and all my friends are in the same boat. I know a guy who does work, editing movies but it's a real long shot. I'm thinking of just simply renting that as well but alas, I'm unsure where one would rent one.
Again, in a small town that doesn't have a lot of production, you're not going to find editing suites. Here in L.A. (and other production hubs) a fully equiped editing suite will run in the $1,000 per week range. A new iMac with Final Cut will run you much less than renting an editing suite.

Cool, thanks. I live in Williamsburg, Kentucky. I'm actually closer to Tennessee than the bigger cities in Kentucky (Lousville.Lexington) so I was thinking of looking around there. But now, I'm thinking that I'll just buy a shotgun mic as suggested. Everything else I believe I can rig myself.

I'm appreciative of you mentioning the editing thing, as it saves me a lot of time looking. I'm not sure if I can afford a new computer at the time either though.

Another avenue that people often overlook is to check with your nearest cable access station. Typically they offer equipment that can be borrowed (most of the time freely) after completing orientation training or similar. It's been my experience that they generally ask that you provide them a copy of your project when it's finished, but that's a win-win situation, you get free airplay, and they get new content. That's nothing to complain about. :)

Alternately, I'm sure you could find decent rental houses in Knoxville if you were willing to make that drive. Remember when renting gear to try and rent on the weekend, preferably long holiday weekends, as you can generally get the rental for the price of 1 day or 1.5 days, rather than paying for all 3 or 4 days.

The rental house I use in Minneapolis charges a one day rate to pick up after noon on Friday and return before noon monday. Works great.. :)

Good luck!

Yeah, a friend of mine told me about the public access thing, but I'm unaware of any in the area.

I've got another question and thought it best to place it here instead of creating a new topic about it. With things such a licensed products, what is the rule with that? Do you have to pay for any licensed product that are in your movie? I know that Kevin Smith's Clerks had Gatorade show and mentioned as well as several background products, did he have to pay the companies.

I'm aware that you have to pay (or give credit, depending on the conditions) for licensed music, but I'm sketchy on products.

Products are a sketchy thing. The legal answers are all over the place. The best option is to avoid mentioning products or having them in your movie at all. Not always possible so you have to ask yourself if having characters mention specific products is essential to your movie and if having trademarked logos is in your movie is essential. If it is, and your goal is to get distribution, then you really should contact the companies and ask permission.

In the end, when it comes down to distribution your biggest expense is going to be E&O insurance - errors and omissions. The more questionable thinks you have in your movie, the more expensive this expense is going to be. Be safe. Check first.

Back