A Production Diary 2

Diary Entry One

It's less than a week until we start shooting The Flight of the Flamingo so I figured I'd kick-off a new production diary (the long awaited sequel to the original production diary).

I've spent much of this week casting and arranging a schedule with actors. One of the difficult things with the crowdfunding was that it was hard to get (or offer) firm commitments from actors whilst we were still unsure whether we'd meet our funding goal and be able to go ahead with the production. Now that we have the money, it's perfectly easy to get actors attached, it's just that with such short notice there are bound to be schedule clashes. STILL I've now cast 80% of the roles, including all the principal ones, and I reckon we've put together a pretty damn good cast. I'll update you more on the various actors and various characters in later production blogs.

Locations have proved my Achilles heel in the past and they are, once again, proving a little difficult. I'm having quite a lot more help this time round which is great and we've got a few different places locked down. That said: there are a few crucial locations I've yet to secure and it's really vital that I manage to get them sorted in the next few days so that we can focus on shooting as soon as that's started. I have the location for our opening day's shooting, which is great, but I've got to sort out a whole bunch of extras for that scene, so we'll have to see where that goes. Ideally I'd like to get about 20 people, but it's going to be a case of how many people (mainly my friends) we can get to turn up for free because paying out 28 sets of travel expenses in one day is going to be extremely pricey.

One of the last problems that I'm dealing with is a little script one. I've been aware (people right here pointed it out to me) that the ending is going to be polarising. A couple of actors have read the script and asked me if it's missing pages at the end, because they feel like something's unresolved. And a few other people have, hand's down, told me that I can't end it as bleakly as I have done. I'm going to take a look at that final scene. Obviously, I wrote an ending that I, personally, like but, if it doesn't work for other people, then I'm willing to change it. I have a feeling, however, that when we come to shoot that scene, the impact, as it's currently written, will be pretty intense. Who knows?

My chores for the next few days involve locking stuff down: cast and crew, locations, extras, props, costumes...etc. These are all the fiddly bits of production that I'd much rather delegate to someone else but, for the time being, I'm going to be overseeing them. I've developed a minor obsession with Google Documents spreadsheets, which are great when you can't be near the cast and crew every day. Hopefully that's going to give us a solid, flexible base from which to build a more detailed production schedule.

I have a few general questions to pose to readers of this diary: In addition to the sound recordist that we are paying for the shoot, someone has offered to be a sound assistant for free- does this seem like a really helpful role? How much do you recommend, for a 12 day shoot, shelling out for a MUA? I usually use students but I won't be able to get anyone to commit for that length of time on nothing but expenses. And are there any British actors between 45 and 70 (outside of the really, really famous ones) who you like? Maybe someone you've seen in an indie but haven't seen that much elsewhere.

Over and out.

Shit that was fast!

Yerp. I imagine it would've gone even faster if I'd slept properly at all for the last couple of weeks!

Phil even managed to fit in another (absolutely incredible) short film shoot during that period. That man is bionic, I tell you. I am more human but still capable of working fast, even if it means being director/writer/producer/grip/runner ;)

Wow! How many shooting days?!

We've done 9 long shoot days.

As I say, there are one of two bits that we need to pick up still. The start of the Olympics is a little irritating because a.) There are helicopters all the time, b.) London's painfully busy and c.) One of my actresses was performing in the opening ceremony and had this entire last week wiped out by rehearsals.

But still, we're very nearly there :)

I fancied making a teaser trailer this afternoon but discovered that I only had one afternoon's sound files on my computer... gave it a whirl all the same...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCFVd7Bcfxk

I'm normally pretty good with accents, but all I got out of that was 'dog,' 'xbox,' and '20-year-old.'

Good to know in general for the dialogue. I hear it perfectly, which is probably a combination of understanding the accent and having heard the lines plenty of lines. The levels might be a little bit low because my audio editing skills are not exactly up to scratch. I'll put the line in spoiler tags below, as I'm curious to know if other people can't make out what's being said.

I don't know whether to punish the fucker for stealing the dog or for not having an xbox like every other 20-year-old.

I went and listened to some of the other takes of that bit of dialogue and, perhaps, now that you've mentioned it, it's delivered a little too fast.

I still hear it very clearly though. I'm wondering if the effect of not being able to see the video at the same time makes it harder to hear. It's out of context and we're socially trained to associate mouth movements with noise. Hmm...

I'm wondering if the effect of not being able to see the video at the same time makes it harder to hear. It's out of context and we're socially trained to associate mouth movements with noise. Hmm...

That's definitely true and probably has at least a small part to do with it. But I actually think it's mainly the speed and lack of context (as it just comes in with the line since it's a teaser) which makes me think adding video alone may not be a perfect fix.

I still hear it very clearly though.

Well you did write it, and like you said, hear it a ton of times delivered in that way.

Not trying to be just critical, it's got a nice pace, and I can see why you picked that line because it gives an idea of the core of the subject but also is really non-specific and almost non-sequitur so it piques the interest. The idea and execution of the teaser works and is good, the line delivery just hinders it (for me).

Not trying to be just critical, it's got a nice pace, and I can see why you picked that line because it gives an idea of the core of the subject but also is really non-specific and almost non-sequitur so it piques the interest. The idea and execution of the teaser works and is good, the line delivery just hinders it (for me).

The reason I chose it is, actually, because I only had sound files from one afternoon and that was probably the best line that I could use!

I might have a fiddle and see if I can find something that's clearer (there are definitely better lines for the trailer, I just don't have access to them).

I have to say that, despite writing the film, I routinely found that I was the worst at remembering the lines on set :D But clearly if both you and John have had difficulty hearing it then it'll need tweaking. There are several other takes of that line, I just chose the first one I heard.

It should read:

I don't know whether to punish the fucker for nicking the dog or for not having an xbox like every other 20-year-old.

Geez, some people can't be bothered to show up with their lines properly memorized. :cool:

I don't think it's the accent or the levels. It's too fast.

Here's the good news -- that's not something you need to concern yourself with. Let your editor sort it out. Hey, have you found one of those yet? ;)

It should read:

I don't know whether to punish the fucker for nicking the dog or for not having an xbox like every other 20-year-old.

Geez, some people can't be bothered to show up with their lines properly memorized. :cool:

:lol:

Well, I feel like a fool...

I don't think it's the accent or the levels. It's too fast.

Here's the good news -- that's not something you need to concern yourself with. Let your editor sort it out. Hey, have you found one of those yet? ;)

We should have a chat about that, eh? ;)

Good to know in general for the dialogue. I hear it perfectly, which is probably a combination of understanding the accent and having heard the lines plenty of lines. The levels might be a little bit low because my audio editing skills are not exactly up to scratch. I'll put the line in spoiler tags below, as I'm curious to know if other people can't make out what's being said.

I don't know whether to punish the fucker for stealing the dog or for not having an xbox like every other 20-year-old.
I got that with the exception of 'or' (I heard 'and'), but I think the reason behind the lack of understanding is speed. I know the accent very well, as a close friend has one very similar, but others often cite him speaking too fast as a reason for not understanding him, so it's probably that.

Hi guys, just thought I'd drop a quick update (not a proper diary entry).

We're doing our final day of shooting tomorrow, just grabbing some bits and pieces that we didn't manage to get during our first couple of weeks of shooting.

Then it's on to post which is involving a real bevy of Indietalk talent with Cracker Funk on editing duties, Jooble doing an awesome title sequence and harpsichord writing the original score!

More exciting updates to follow :)

Back