• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

A Little Project Stress

So a couple months ago, a few buddies and I were asked to shoot for the Special Olympics Southern California and it seemed like we did a great job.

Now I am doing A LOT of the editing, and as I look through the footage, some of the interviews aren't so.. usable.

I'm getting the jitters! This being my first editing job, and even though I'm not getting paid, this is extremely important.

Any tips on the interview problem?
Any tips in general?

Specifically, what are your concerns with what was recorded?
Audio quality?
Camera placement & scene composition?
Camera movement or lack of?
Absence of... something?
Not enough material?
Too much material?
Not enough pick up shots?

Specifically, why aren't the interviews "so... usable"?

Sorry, should have specified that.

A lot of one word responses to questions, bad shot comp on a couple of the interviews.

Mostly the one word responses. We did push for our interviewees to use complete sentences, but many of them were shy in front of the camera, and we didn't want to push too much. Perhaps we should have?

Well, there's not a whole lot you can do about one word grunts... I mean "replies" now! :lol:

On the rare occasion I accidentally see some ESPN interviews of pro athletes I can't help but notice how well they've also been coached on "how to interview".
Obviously they have inservice-like classes and training on how to speak somewhat thoughtfully and intelligently in both prearranged formal and spontaneous courtside interviews.
Switching gears on the fly from intense gaming to "Lets discuss your feelings!" isn't easy.
And even still, the reporters & their producers probably have a notebook on who gives good interviews and who to avoid.
There's more going on than it looks like, I'm sure.

Here's the deal, I'm GUESSING that since it's the Special Olympics no one's reasonably going to expect Walt Whitman to expel forth.
If that's what they got - then that's what they got. Let 'em have it.

Were you paid to primarily record and edit?
Or did you sell yourself as a fabulous interviewer that could also edit?
Do you think they'll invite you back next year I guess is the more germane question?

I wasn't paid at all actually. The organization doesn't have any means of media apparently.

Basically from what I heard, they looked for someone to do it volunteer, which no one felt like doing. Somehow the need of a media crew got to one of my teachers who then offered us the opportunity.

I mainly operated the camera as my friend asked all of the questions. Now I'm editing.
I'm guessing they will take anyone they can get... they two juniors and a senior in high-school, plus one friend. A Chapman Alumni accompanied us but didn't do much at all, and I saw only one other media crew out there with one camera, but I haven't heard anything about them.

To put it bluntly, yes, they will probably invite me next year.
Actually, I think we're scheduled to do their summer games.

Okay, so it's volunteer work.
Fine.
Great.
Wonderful.

You get experience. They get product. Everyone's A J squared away.

Just give 'em an honest job and don't sweat it.

Invite interested parties in for a sensible "We could do option A or option B or option C. The benefits being blah blah blah" for each approach.
This involvement allows both some deflection of exclusive culpability (Ah ha ha!) on your own behalf - and - kinda let's them have a kind of headzup on what's coming down the pipe.
But more importantly, you'll be able to get a sense from their responses and replies what is and isn't important to them not only before you start wading through hours of material for this FIRST PROJECT! but also for what could be done better for the upcoming Summer Games.

Certainly their VERY FIRST competition they organized didn't go flawlessly, right?

If the athletes and organizers can have opportunities to do better next go round it's certainly legit for you to have the same opportunity. Juno?

Take the time to discuss with the organizer(s) what they would like more or less of for the Summer Games.
Network!
This is more than about editing and handing over a product.
This is how business goes.
Ask the customer what they want instead of guessing. :yes:

Last edited:
I did one of interview type of video for a promotional video.. never doing it again haha! It was hell trying to edit it, because the guy who I was interviewing kept um-ing and so-ing.
He was doing great during the practice run, but as soon as I put a camera infront of him, and lights - he turned to crap..

Its a good lesson to learn, cut what you have, and give back the video :) if everything fails, insert a shot of a cute dog in the hat, shot upclose with wide angle lens.

Dammit, all I have is cute cats with hats shot up close with a fish eye :/

Man.. practice runs... We didn't even think about it.
Then again, some of interviews were crunched in between some of the athlete's games, so we had no time.

But for those we did have time... we should have done practice runs.

What a beginner I am.

I rendered out a quick cut I just finished up for the 30 second video they asked for.
Haven't color corrected or anything really other than cut up, just to see if the organizer likes the feel.

And to you guys too :D

http://youtu.be/XxMDFJmChPM

again i rendered it out lowres and youtube made it even worse haha.. so aside from the quality of the video, how does it look?

Back