• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch A Journey to the West

Vignette gets annoying on the 3rd shot.

I really like the depth of field in the first few shots. It looks like a Linkin Park music video.

Foley of the picking up of the paper is out of sync.

Love the dogs.

Needs more ambiences. Cars. City rumble. People talking. Stereo ambiences.

That's all I can say now. I'll update later.

Thanks for all the generous comments.

Firstly, the visual "effects", if you will, is the result of using a 35mm adapter on Sony Handycam. I'm not sold on the results, but it creative a nice feel for the type of short film it was.

FlandriaVCF - is it too long or does it feel too long? maybe the editing could've been a little tighter i suppose...

I really enjoyed it! Fantastic shot composition and editing! It's a nice little story of hard work and hope.

I'm interested to see how Nike felt about the cobbler
not buying any shoes.

Beautifully shot, edited. The music was very pretty. But became a little repetitious after a while.

It is much too long for what it's about. It isn't till 1:22 when something actually happens. For a 6 minute short, that's a long time.

Very good work.

BTW: Love the walk lights. Is that actually Beijing?

If it feels too long, it's too long.

It feels too long. Too much stuff that doesn't need to be in there, to tell the same story.

But dude, excellent work! It's beautifully shot, and the editing is terrific (if, albeit, a tad long).

Nicklaus, he would've bought the shoes if he could've afforded to. He saved his money to take a trip, for the sole purpose of trying them on, and walking around in them.

Again, thanks for all the kind comments.

Nicklaus / Cracker Funk - I wanted to show the extent of the cobbler's love for shoes and not buying any shoes spoke louder than if he did. My team and I actually debated this quite a bit. I think artistically, it spoke more for the cobbler not to buy the shoes, but I'm sure Nike would not have been please with that :P

ussinners - Yes, this entire short was shot in Beijing. The beginning was in a village called "Bai Xin Zhuang" about 30 minutes outside of Beijing, and the "city" scenes were shot in "Wang Fu Jing", which is considered to be the older downtown area.

Nicklaus / Cracker Funk - I wanted to show the extent of the cobbler's love for shoes and not buying any shoes spoke louder than if he did. My team and I actually debated this quite a bit. I think artistically, it spoke more for the cobbler not to buy the shoes, but I'm sure Nike would not have been please with that

From the original post, I thought this was a long form ad commissioned by Nike. That's why I was wondering what they thought of the ending.

Was it for a contest? Maybe a spec ad?

I agree with why he left without new shoes, but maybe we could've seen him trying to buy the shoes and not having enough money then returning home and rededicating himself to make the money for the next trip and the shoes. But that's more of a "hard work pays off message" and may not be what you were going for.

Back