• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

4K to 1080p

Hi guys,

This is a stupid question for editors I know..

What If there is a video shot at 4K and I wanted to convert it to 1080p Would that crop the video to 1080, or it will just make a smaller image from the 4K one.

Thanks!

Converting usually means resizing.
What NLE software are you using?

What I want, like to get the whole juice from 4K and convert it to 1080P without the image like zooming into FullHD? :D

I am using Adobe Premiere CS6 and will be upgrading to CC and also for color correcting with Davinci Resolve if that matters

just put the clip onto a 1080p timeline then make it fit, additionally you could add it to the 1080p timeline then just keep what section of the video you want within the screen size.

personally i would want to scale it down to the 1080p to get that crisper look...

Haha. we meet again, Well I am trying to understand the format if I am going to use the format after the discussion in http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?p=342805#post342805.. so yeah I know what 4K is, but I don't know a lot about 4K

4K is a beast to work with, and requires a hell of a lot more computing power than 1080, especially if you're looking into raw.

If you are talking raw, you would generally down-size your 4k rushes to 1080p for editing, using REDCineX, DaVinci Resolve or similar, then edit using those. You could either convert to high quality 1080p images and use those to finish your movie, or low-quality and then re-link to the raw files in the 'online' which is the more common workflow with feature films etc.

On bigger budget productions, you'd record the raw files which would go straight to the colourist, and then you'd also have an on-board recorder recording to ProRes or similar which would go to the editor. Drop the 4k file into a 1080 timeline and it should down-scale appropriately.

The colourist/online editor would re-link the edit using a provided XML or EDL, and grade from the raw files.

If you create a 1920x1080 sequence, then drag your 4K sequence into that - RIGHT CLICK and select "Scale to Fit Frame Size" and it will size it down to 1080P.

Either that or simply select a 1080 output module from ADOBE MEDIA ENCODER and it will size the 4K timeline into a 1080 one.

4K is a beast to work with, and requires a hell of a lot more computing power than 1080, especially if you're looking into raw.

If you create a 1920x1080 sequence, then drag your 4K sequence into that - RIGHT CLICK and select "Scale to Fit Frame Size" and it will size it down to 1080P.

Either that or simply select a 1080 output module from ADOBE MEDIA ENCODER and it will size the 4K timeline into a 1080 one.

Thanks guys, Appreciate the help.

Back