4K Camcorders

To me, the Lumix is the more interesting of the lot. The Sony is for people that want to shoot home movies in 4K. The camera that wasn't even mentioned in those articles that I want to know more about is the 4K lipstick camera next to the Lumix in the pictures.

4k on a tiny sensor with a horrible codec, limited colour space and large amounts of compression...

I'd take 1080p with better colour fidelity and dynamic range every day of the week.

the only good thing is that it will increase competitors to produce smaller priced better products.. im hoping canon announces some sort of 2k or 4k ability on their cinema cameras..

just seen that the c500 can output 2k an 4k, but the c100,c300 should at least be able to output 2k with 1080p 60fps ...

Last edited:
the only good thing is that it will increase competitors to produce smaller priced better products

Hopefully so. It's nice to see camera companies competing to make their products better & cheaper. These 4K camcorders are a gimmick as of now, but seeing that it's working it's way into the hands of everyday consumers most likely means that the technology will become more and more used by indie filmmakers as they develop.

Shooting 4k for down-rezzing, stabilizing and re-framing no doubt produces great results....but projecting in 4k might take a while depending on the destination format. The market is not fully ready for 4k no matter how much manufacturers tell you "you need 4k".

4k on a tiny sensor with a horrible codec, limited colour space and large amounts of compression...

I'd take 1080p with better colour fidelity and dynamic range every day of the week.

i concur.. also, if i wanted to output in more than 1080 i'd have to spend 1k on the full version of resolve

Compressed 4K is still in it's infancy.
I haven't seem footage at 100% yet, but I guess I could be like the first HDV footage: too badly compressed...

I'd rather have global shutter than 4K

because of the jello effect?

Indeed.
My first camera was a 3CCD Canon XM-2. That was ten years ago: not light sensitive, SD mini-DV, but NO jello. Within a few years I expect jello to be an artiact from the past :P

Last edited:
The bolex D16, while not a 4k camera, uses a CCD instead of CMOS, so it's digital super16mm camera without 'jello'

That's about the best option available for <$20k. Otherwise some of the really high-end HD cams have minimal rolling shutter issues, though I think it's still present in some form even on things like the arri alexa. Really it just comes down to shooting in ways to compensate/minimize the issue.

Or if not using the bolex, going back to shooting standard definition with a CCD sensor. ;)

Eh, Global Shutter's not really a big issue for me - I've certainly had very little issue on Alexas with it. It's perhaps more prevalent on a RED, but even then not very much so.

In many cases, I personally don't think it's worth the trade-off in dynamic range and sensitivity.

CMOS produces a better picture at the moment, but global shutter will be back with all the good things of CMOS: I'm pretty sure that will happen one day.

(Sorry for the derailing of the topic, let's go back to 4K)

Back