48hr Film Project pre-prod?

Hi all,
Iv decided to jump in with both feet and either join or form a team for an upcoming 48hr film project.
For those who don't know, the rules stipulate no creative work outside the 48hr window, so at this stage is JUST planning.

http://www.48hourfilm.com/portland_oregon/

I'm looking for tips, pointers, and any suggestions..

I need to set a deadline on when I will decided to form my OWN team (or not). Are there a limited number of slots for these things?

Broosky,
as a DP only, are you expecting to still be "around" during the script writing? I had imagined that there are DP tasks that cant be started until kickoff but could be done before the script was done. Do you maybe just wear a different hat during that period, you become the the coffee boy or something..

Is it advisable to start shooting establishing shots right away, even before a script?.. or FX plate shots.. B roll.. for example, maybe right off the writters commit to the locations.. you know that some footage of driving from point A to point B would be required..so you head out and film driving around.. stuff like that...

thanks

I am not expected to be around but I am. I try to help with the technical aspects during that time. If there is a scene that I know we can't technically pull off I make sure to tell them and then have them try to write around it. A good DP is going to have a good understand of not only what the director wants but also a good understanding of the script and mood that is trying to be accomplished. So I don't go get coffee but I certainly don't sit around and do nothing either.

I never shoot anything that isn't motivated. To me there is no such thing as stock footage. Everything that goes into the final piece is somehow motivated by the script or mood that we are shooting. This is how I have always done it. 9 out of 10 time the stuff you shot doesn't go with the script and it is more of a pain to try and force it in then re-shoot motivated footage.

My first year, I was eager to get shooting as quickly as possible. It ended in a train-wreck. If you're not the writer, chill out on Friday night. It's tough to resist the impulse to get started, but be patient. Give your writers time to develop their ideas, and nail down a solid script. If you keep it simple, one full day is plenty of time to shoot a 7-minute movie.

And, seriously, get all those darn cooks out of the kitchen. Keep your screenwriting team to 2 people, and let them have free reign to develop their story in it's entirety, from brainstorming on, without any outside meddling. Try to sleep, DP. You're going to need your energy when things get crazy for you, early Saturday morning. Same goes for director, editor, etc.

I can't wait to see what you come up with wheatgrinder. This competition is so exciting!

Well, this will be my third time on the 48 hour. I first off would never sit down and not do anything to contribute. Your DP needs to be involved in the technical aspects of the script writing. As I said before this is the person who needs to speak up and say if certain shots or scenes can even be accomplished or not. Also I would love to start shooting night of if script calls for it. The quicker I get it shot the more time the editors have in post.

I agree. Stuff you think of, in your head, is unavoidable, and just part of being an artist and a competitor. I only take issue with your next example:

No grey area on this one. That's just flat-out cheating, in the worst way. Just cuz a lot of teams do it doesn't make it right. Hey -- did that team win? Nope; you would've said so, if that were the case.

Do not succumb to the dark side, wheatgrinder!

Well, to be honest I am not sure who won last year. Could have been them, I just remember being not 100% happy with our piece and we didn't win anything.

I was thinking a hybrid approach. Get the team to gather to Practice brain storming as a team. In my job Iv seen lots of short term team forming. Each team undergoes this basic growth..

forming
storming
norm'ing

Forming is easy, its all about getting to know each other, figure out whose who..
Storming is the personal CONFLICT stage.. learning each others buttons, etc..
Norming is when you know each other enough to correctly assume what others will do\think and the team really starts to come together..

By practicing stressful interaction, we can get the team to the desired state in advanced of when it REALLY counts..

I like that. If I were to enter this year (so sad that I can't), I actually was planning on doing something similar. Imagine a random prompt generator. You have friends write random prompts on a small piece of paper. Ten of your friends/acquaintances write a random character. A different set of ten friends/acquaintances writes a random line of dialogue. Same thing for prop. You reach into a hat, pull out your randomly-assigned prompts, as well as your randomly assigned genre, and start talking.

I don't think that would be cheating at all. Brainstorming is a skill. Nothing wrong with practicing a skill. Nothing wrong with developing a working relationship with those you'll be working with on that crazy weekend. And then when you finally get your prompts, you can say, "Hey, we've done this before. We've worked out our methodology. Now let's start talking".

Well, this will be my third time on the 48 hour. I first off would never sit down and not do anything to contribute. Your DP needs to be involved in the technical aspects of the script writing. As I said before this is the person who needs to speak up and say if certain shots or scenes can even be accomplished or not. Also I would love to start shooting night of if script calls for it. The quicker I get it shot the more time the editors have in post.

You can accomplish your required task on Friday, as long as you don't put your phone on silent.

Story comes first. That's my main emphasis. If there are too many people around, chiming in whenever they think they have a genius idea, it can really mess up the creative flow of a good screenwriter. Let your (SMALL) screenwriting team sequester themselves in their little creative cubby-hole. Hopefully, we haven't selected complete dolts to be screenwriters. If they're even slightly experienced, they'll know when they might be writing or considering something that may or may not be feasibly shoot-able. So they pick up the phone and ask you if they can do it. And you say no.

Also, you don't have to stay completely out of it. Before they start actually writing, they'll of course have formed a solid story in their heads. That's a good time for them to relay that story to you. They outline the story, the feel they're going for, the locations, etc. So that while they're putting words on paper, you can start thinking about and working on your technical and creative end.

Story first.

Thanks you all, your really helping me get this off the ground.

Its looking like Ill be the LEAST experienced team member, which I like.
The DP that has tentatively agreed has some PBS credits and his work is very nice, not as cinematic that I want, but I think thats subject mater, hes game for going beyond documentary. Id give a link, but thats not fair until hes 100% on bord.. (hint 2001, job still open)

What do you think a core team of 4 people would look like?
Im thinking
Me (Directory\writer)
writer
DP\cinematographer
??? (who else)

What do you think a core team of 4 people would look like?
Im thinking
Me (Directory\writer)
writer
DP\cinematographer
??? (who else)

Producer or production manager. In charge of paperwork, releases, getting locations beforehand, finding and committing all your other key team members (PAs, audio, post, etc.) Keeping the team on task and target during the weekend, leaving you in charge of the artistic elements.

Maybe Id be foolish to not find a director, and be the producer\AD?

I can't say it'll work for everyone, but it worked for me. I fashion myself as a director, and I'm a bit of a megalomaniac, but our project benefited greatly by the fact that I limited myself to work only as producer/DP/editor. The director/writer I hooked up with was a recent theater graduate. You got any colleges nearby?

Finding folks is going easy.. its just Im being a bit vague cause I don't know exactly what Im doing.. but I see now that it makes more sense to focus on what I DO know how to do, and thats organize a team. An as of now Im a better writer than I am a director, so I think AD\PM\Writer\lackey is where Id have the most fun and have the most positive impact.

I can't say it'll work for everyone, but it worked for me. I fashion myself as a director, and I'm a bit of a megalomaniac, but our project benefited greatly by the fact that I limited myself to work only as producer/DP/editor. The director/writer I hooked up with was a recent theater graduate. You got any colleges nearby?

I'm sorry maybe I missed this but how many 48-hour film fests have you been in Cracker Funk?

I'm sorry maybe I missed this but how many 48-hour film fests have you been in Cracker Funk?

Are you threatening me? I am cornholio. Where I come from, we have no bung-hole.

I don't know if you missed it, or if I mentioned it. I've done two. First one was an absolute train-wreck. Second one was an absolute blast.

wheatgrinder, you sure you don't wanna work that camera? I've seen your work. Don't delegate too much. Have fun with it.

I'm in the process of setting up my team for the Detroit 48HFP. I originally planned of having a small group of people who I've worked with before, but now it seems everything has ballooned to epic proportions. Now I'm looking at a tentative crew list of 15 people with more people still wanting to join. That's not counting the actors that we'll cast in the coming weeks. My director is a high school instructor, so a lot of the tentative crew are from his school. They have some experience, having just finished filming a short, but I'm paranoid that having so many bodies on set will be more of a hinderence than a help.

I was on a team of 20 (including actors) in NYC a couple of years ago - believe me, everyone had something to do! It was great fun, and something I will do again, but only if I feel up for it - it can be brutal if your ideas are too ambitious. Everyone has to shlep stuff and no one gets any sleep.

There were two Producers on my team, one of them was the lead actor, the other directed. We had a DP, an AC, a sound dude, set designer, two editors, and three PA's. I think there were about five associate producers who all had various duties. Only about four of the team knew each other before - everyone was found through Craigslist and word-of-mouth. There were emails flying for a week or two beforehand - just trying to line up talent in advance (I brought two actors into the project), although we didn't know what types we'd want, it didn't matter. The Producers held a production meeting the day before, so we could all meet and everyone would know who was doing what. We also talked about any equipment or other resources we could contribute, like wardrobe and locations. After the Producers went to the kickoff the next night (we got "Comedy"), we all met again and brainstormed. They took lots of ideas from everyone and put it into the script.

I'm sure the Producer who was also the lead actor had some ideas beforehand about some things - like the fact that she would be playing the main character and maybe it would address relationships or being single, but I know they wrote the entire thing that night. And we had to rewrite it twice after that because we lost our locations during the shoot (neighbors complained), which made certain elements not work without a rewrite.

My jobs as "Associate Producer" was to handle all the release forms, SAG paperwork, crap like that. I also picked up supplies, carried equipment, helped dress the set, found us an alternative location, was asked to be a scripty too (although back then I was clueless about what scripty's do), wrangled umbrellas when it rained on us while we were still shooting on SUNDAY morning, packaged the DVD, went down to the dropoff. There was more, but I can't remember. I know one of the other associate producers went to the store with our set dresser to buy props, don't know what the others did.

Two of the actors and the sound guy made up songs on the spot for it, and that was the only music we used - all original!

Ours was shot on HD with those damn cards that kept filling up and it really slowed us down. They intended to rent bigger cards but could only get smaller ones, so we had to keep sending a PA to dump the cards and free them up. What a pain - for something like this, I think mini-DV is much better!

Our short went on to be a juried selection at a legit film festival about a year later. One of the producers lives in a different state and has done lots of projects since then. His latest 48HFP entry is really, really good and will likely go on to festivals, too.

It's a great experience!

Last edited:
I don't recommend a large cast and crew...the tighter the better--a skeleton crew will do you best for a 48. It's best to find talent (cast and crew) that can wear many hats...and keep it small. When I say small, I mean the crew around 6, and the cast about the same.

Just my opinion.

I've gotta go with @M1chea1 on this, keep it skeleton for your first outing in a 48'. It's bold to be running it first time around, so if you're going director/writer, make sure you have a damn good producer to keep everything in check. I can say myself, from being through two 48's, that it's all great delegating the work to a crew of 20, but the director i worked with orchestrated a team of 8 and it was very enjoyable.

Be it i was just starting out, literally my third or so outing, you take it for granted the work of the producer 'behind the scenes'. So to cap off, producer is a must- especially if you're going skeleton.

Also, i believe somebody has mentioned before me on the subject of you handling the camera yourself, vote #2 right here, your footage is well constructed, i think it would be a shame if you didn't work the camera. IMO.

Papertwinproductions,
After further consideration, I'm not going to direct (unless I have to). I figured I can organize, co-write and\or shoot footage. I'm putting up an ad for PA today. I need that person ON The JOB NOW.. :)

Thanks

Back