• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch 48hr festival winner-best cinematography

Friends and I joined a 48hr festival in Seattle and ended up winning best cinematography. Another one is coming up next month and it will be an international 48hr contest...fun stuff.

Anyways, any feedback positive and especially negative is more than WELCOME. I put an emphases on negative, because we probably already know what works with the film, but picking out your own flaws is a bit more tricky.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RkZyo_Rf6U

Last edited:
Looks good. I didn't really get the story, nor the ending. What was the symbolism of the spider? And what did the last few shots resolve?

The photography was nice, although some of the rack-focuses were messy.

Good work overall, and congrats on the award. It's funny how most films that win the 'Best Cinematography' award are black and white...as if being in B&W instantly qualifies you for the award. I've always thought that to be shallow and too 'on the nose.' I've seen much higher quality films loose out to B&W films when it comes to cinematography...I've never understood it. Not that your films didn't look good, I'm just making a generalized statement.

Looks good. I didn't really get the story, nor the ending. What was the symbolism of the spider? And what did the last few shots resolve?

The photography was nice, although some of the rack-focuses were messy.

Good work overall, and congrats on the award. It's funny how most films that win the 'Best Cinematography' award are black and white...as if being in B&W instantly qualifies you for the award. I've always thought that to be shallow and too 'on the nose.' I've seen much higher quality films loose out to B&W films when it comes to cinematography...I've never understood it. Not that your films didn't look good, I'm just making a generalized statement.

Awesome, thank you very much for your feedback it is honest and critical on story specifics and vital to the process.

Last edited:
re

Wow, pretty amazing stuff. Compliments to all!
I am trying to gather team together. I want to do the 48 hour this year. It would be in Milwaukee (Im in Green Bay but brother is there)..
Amen if it works, did u just do this w/ friends?

Wow, pretty amazing stuff. Compliments to all!
I am trying to gather team together. I want to do the 48 hour this year. It would be in Milwaukee (Im in Green Bay but brother is there)..
Amen if it works, did u just do this w/ friends?

Well, kind of, my friends are professionally trained and two of the players were given to us as part of the challenge. If your putting together a team I would suggest just getting your friends who are interested in making movies together, each identify what you would like to do most and go from there.

If you dont mind me asking. Why did you decide to shoot it B&W? Only thing I could point out was that, when the guy was dropping of the girl, I could see the rain but there was no sound of it. Don't know if its done on purpose or not.

If you dont mind me asking. Why did you decide to shoot it B&W? Only thing I could point out was that, when the guy was dropping of the girl, I could see the rain but there was no sound of it. Don't know if its done on purpose or not.

B&W was decided on because of two main factors: 1-Technically we felt it would be more easy to get the polished look we wanted without color in the 48hr time frame, not doing color corrections etc. saves some time 2-Everything looks better in B&W, ever seen Schindler's List?(paraphrasing the director).

Personally I would have liked to see my spider in color because he's got some very bright reds on him.

haha ya that damn rain, Seattle, gotta love it. But the rain was not making any sound, all the sound you here in that shot is natural.

Ok! Its not putting it down or anything because it looked really good. Only curious. Although I disagree with everything looks better in b&w :P.

Ok! Its not putting it down or anything because it looked really good. Only curious. Although I disagree with everything looks better in b&w :P.

There is just something timeless about it, I really love b&w photography also. At hart I'm a huge scifi/horror nerd. There are only a few b&w in this genre that I really enjoy watching regularly. The Fly (1958), King Kong (1933) and Night of the Living Dead (1968) are a few B&W ones that come to mind. Most of my favorites are in color.

But to be honest I would really like to see a new age horror film shot in HD b&w, like really, really, like to see that. 48 Days Later(2002) kinda touched on this sentiment with it's grainy looking shots, but I'm not sure if that was due to budge or art direction.

Last edited:
Back