• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch 48 hour film challenge entry

Hey everyone, my team that I created earlier this year in which we have made about four productions so far of short films, we were asked by our college to compete in this worldwide film challenge, the 48 Hour Film Challenge. They would give us a name of a character, two genres (pick one at least), prop and line of dialogue under eight minutes.

With all our projects this year we've always had some sort of "resistance" that would get in our way for every filming day. For example we had a scene with guns we had to film inside a school, it took alot of "discussions" with many different people at the school and a few papers to sign then three days before the actual filming day there was a school shooting somewhere north from us (Ontario) so all the schools made a ban for fake weapons at school. We always have some sort of problem like that in our way that is completely unpredictable but we manage to jump over those loops and complete our tasks.

But for the first time ever, this "48 Hour Film Challenge" entry, we didn't have any of that resistance. Everything went smoothly, everyone was happy and eating well. There was no rush for us at all, everything felt so relaxed because nothing was getting in our way. I think we've created something really funny and creative. I don't think this is something that these judges have seen before in their competition. Unfortunately we didn't make the 15 cut but was wondering if people here can give us some feedback, your honest opinion about the story and the short film itself. Even though we didn't make the cut, everyone on the team is very proud of this short, it was a exciting, funny project. So here you are our entry for the 48 Hour Film Challenge, "Move to the Beat: The Cassidy Denver Story."

Guilt Trip Productions

Genre: Mockumentary / Dark Comedy
Prop: Skeleton Key
Line of Dailgoue: "And that's how I learned..."
Character: Cassidy Denver, Drummer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_rY7m4g7Cc

Good work overall. I was a little disappointed at first when it looked like it was going to be another film about making a film - that's one of those ideas that everyone has but has already been done to death (and is rarely of interest to people not involved in the industry). But you took it in a different direction pretty quickly so that was good. The concept/story is a good one for a competition like this, but if you want to be a finalist that I think it needs to be executed more cleanly - more attention to the lighting & cinematography, a tighter edit, better acting. It's a good first try though - better than a lot of 48 hour films I've seen (and I've seen a lot) - and I think if you work on refining your filmmaking a bit you could have a shot at being a finalist next year.

Back