• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

3d graphic special effects- free trial?

We're coming from the games industry, in 3d graphics, animation, etc. and we're interested in getting into the movie industry as well.

Please check out our gallery:

http://www.afmgames.com/gallery3dsenes.html

We'd love to have a chance to make some special effects for an indie title- any helicopters, space ships, monsters, robots, etc.

It's certainly much cheaper than props.

I say free trial, because while we've done simpler game animations, we haven't worked on top of live film as a company- we'd love the chance to do so.

Please, e-mail me and we can discuss what you want and need, and how much we could do it for- then we'll give it a try. Pay only if and when you are satisfied.

I hope to work with somebody here soon!

blake at afmgames dot com

By the way, we're also available for movie posters and photoshop work- please contact me for info.

I'd also love any advice any of you have about getting into the industry, graphics-wise.

Thanks!

Hey there. Welcome to the under-belly of the industry! :)

I looked at your work, and your artists are definitely very skilled modelers and texture artists. I've been dabbling in 3d modeling and texturing for many years now, and I'm very impressed with your work (I'm designing levels in Radiant for COD:WW right now).

I hope you guys connect with some folks in the industry...your work would do well as composite or mattes. So many indie filmmakrs are trying to learn AfterFX and Max and trying to throw in their own stuff, and it's always pretty low quality. Companies like your's would do well for yourself if you had very reasonable rates--you have to remember, there ARE some talented CG artists doing work for productions for free...

Case in point, we have a guy we use out in AZ (we're in RI) and he does all of our stuff for free. He's pretty damn good. Not as good as you guys in terms of modeling and texturing, but his composite work is pretty damn good...and he's free!

What I recommend for you guys, is to get some composite work up there...some moving images of composited CG models in real world footage. Especially if you guys are good at HDR lighting and environment mapping on your models, you can showcase seamless blending of CG and real...

I would also get some demo footage of muzzle flashes, blood impact and bullet hits on persons and walls...maybe some CG smoke added to a scene...things like that. Things films look for.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks M1chae1,

Our rates are actually quite good (but my opinion naturally can't be trusted in this context ;) )

It's the same way in the indie games industry; those artists with a bit less experience work for free. I'm not sure if it's the same way in film, but in games, free artists tend to be a bit less reliable (takes longer to get things done, sometimes they quit mid-project, etc).

I'd love to know more about what's going on in indie film.

Particularly, we'd love to supply some high quality models- perhaps we could work with the volunteer artists to reduce costs, and improve overall quality for a good price?

Back