35mm adapters going to flood the market ?

Anyone but me expecting to see a flood of 35mm adapters on the market next year?

Seems the DSLR options just make buying a $2500 adapater rig (high end ) pointless. For the same money you ALSO get a kick butt camera....

From a lot of posts/comments I've been reading. It sounds like people have been leaning toward the "35mm adapter is not worth it/obsolete" for a bit now.

Not sure if I see that trend translating into a lot of people selling off their used ones. I feel like, if you've made an investment in an adapter, you aren't going to be getting rid of it right away. Just my thoughts...

I think till a camera comes around in the 5000 -7000 range with as shallow a DOF as the adaptors provide, ppl will continue to buy them.

Right now the way most ppl look at it is, they can either buy an HD camera that can achieve a shallow DOF for 17000 or buy a prosumer like HVX and an adaptor for 7000 total.

Noobie question:

Those adapters can't work on Camcorder types, can they? I mean, I have a Canon 930, and while the lens is "recessed"(lack of a better term) and looks like an adapter MIGHT screw in there, I don't know if they are build with adapters in mind.

its not a camera specific thing.. you can always make it work..
you might need steps down rings and what not.. google some of the DIY efforts.. you can make one from a piece of wax paper and an old 35mm camera.. the look that comes out is pretty low tech, but not unpleasing.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufaXhe2Nf2Q

Overall the 35mm adapter concept is simple.

Use a cool 35mm camera SLR lens to project a picture on a screen. Your video camera then focuses on that screen .. and thats about it.

Last edited:
its not a camera specific thing.. you can always make it work..
you might need steps down rings and what not.. google some of the DIY efforts.. you can make one from a piece of wax paper and an old 35mm camera.. the look that comes out is pretty low tech, but not unpleasing.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufaXhe2Nf2Q

Overall the 35mm adapter concept is simple.

Use a cool 35mm camera SLR lens to project a picture on a screen. Your video camera then focuses on that screen .. and thats about it.

Thanks, something to think about in the future. I'll check out those sites, for now I just work with my camera-funny, I guess it's cameras like mine that are meant to be point and shoot for consumers auto djustment, autotracking. But I WANT my focus and my own lighting adjustment and I don't want the camera "tracking" my face(which is what I figured out, it's not my tripod swinging back and forth, it's the camera tracking my face, making it look like someone is wobbling the camera back and forth-yeesh!:P

I'm working on it.....trust me:lol: Funny, the more I work with my camera, the more I am removing the "helpful" things, face tracking, flip screen lighting, autofocus. There's a "pro" setting, which allows me to play with more.

Anybody got a spare X-1 they have hanging around and want to give up for 10 bucks? ;)

I tend to agree with Gonzo, until the "Jello Effect" is solved the 35mm adapters still have there place. However I can see the supplier hitting on hard times this year because of people going with the sub-$6K DSLRS for B-Roll cameras and such.

Perhaps not next year but in 2012 I can see a significant drop in 35mm adapter prices (used anyway).

They (DSLR) can be very hand for "stealth" shooting as well. I know a guy who wanted New York street scenes for a music video (without getting preperly permiited) so he is shooting a DSLR because it will likely go unnoticed Where a more obvious pro video camera would stick out.

Honestly, until the VIDEO divisions and the DSLR departments of these big corporations get on the same page, the 35mm adapters will still be around.

Canon's camcorder department has nothing to do with DSLR and they can't figure out what their own customers want. Same with Sony and the rest.

The first company to put out a DSLR video camera in an ergonomic body will win the prize and be as revered as the DVX100 was for so many years.

so i found This Guy on ebay who makes DOF adapters. the static one is only $100 and WELL worth it. it comes all setup to easily install your own vibrating motor. the one he mailed me even had a motor already installed, just no wiring or battery holder. so i went to a local electronics store (not radioshack, although they would work) and bought a single double A holder, a switch and some wire. it took me about 5 mins to solder the wires to the motor and run the wire correctly. now i have a vibrating dof that looks bitchin. all i need to do now is figure out how to flip the screen over. ;)

(just a heads up for you guys. not an advertisement for miny's service.)

this is what it looks like with a nikon/minolta adapter and a minolta telephoto.
camera.JPG

Well, I'm just not able to be "true" to history... the 7D or even a T2i will do miracles compared to my Sanyo Xacti Dual... Maybe majority will rule on this one, since "purists" will be obligated to remain faithful to the 35mm god... HD can and will change everything eventually...

not really. feels pretty solid. i think i will try and diy some stuff to hold the lens from the bottom.

Ya, you should really get some sort of mounting plate and a pair of rods under the camera, then under the adapter mount some sort of support onto the iris rods. I'd also want a support under that lens. In fact I am pretty sure that it's bending downward visibly in the picture.

RE: Adapters dropping in price - maybe somewhat, but don't expect people to start discarding them like bad paper. Don't get me wrong, I LIKE DSLRs, but jello sensor AND crap on crap h.264 line skippy crap-pression they've got a tad bit of catching up to do. Honestly, jello sensor bothers me less than using a delivery compression standard at the time of image capture.

Folks often forget the true cost of rigging a DSLR for proper motion picture shooting. I've done several days of shooting on the 5D. One project the DP was just trying to use the camera as it was. Making handheld extremely shakey with the comparatively small body. This also had the effect of the camera being too lightweight to mount on the steady cam we had (very small glidecam) AND made it fundamentally impossible to pull focus. Any adjustment on the lens appeared as camera shake.

In contrast, I did another 5d shoot where we rigged the camera onto a proper plate with iris rods, follow focus, matte box, etc etc etc. Of course doing so can more than DOUBLE the cost of the camera body. Granted, it makes for something pretty lightweight by comparison to other rigs but once you get a decent Marshall with battery on there, a big fat 200mm lens, and the associated support gear it weighs about the same as a fully rigged EX1. (which I also shoot frequently)

Then of course there are lenses. f3.5 DSLR lenses aren't too bad in terms of price, but if you want any of the faster nicer glass from canon (like f2.8 primes, or heaven forbid a fast L series zoom with IS - does that even exist?) then things get really spendy.

Again, I was actually pleased with the results we got on the 5D shoot (aside from the compression scheme which I will never, ever, ever stop hating when used as an acquisition format) when the camera was properly rigged for shooting video. The issue is that doing so is expensive. You *can* shoot DSLR without all the bits, but having done it both ways I'll say the results are superior when you do.

Edit: I also forgot that pulling focus on DSLR lenses is sort of annoying. Most of them have noticeable breathing and the gear rings do not have a hard stop at each end of the focus range - meaning it is possible to spin the ring past infinity, for example, which doesn't change the focus once you pass that point, but it WILL screw up your marks.

Now, for the indie shooter most of this is academic - but it isn't indie shooters (by and large) who have loads of Letus and P+S Techniks sitting around begging to be swapped for DSLRs. If I had that gear, I'd probably keep it and *add* a DSLR to my kit rather than replacing my adapter.

Last edited:
good points all, I'm really just trying to encourage ONE of you to just GIVE me your adapter, preferably with a flip module, Ill pay shipping. ;)

but seriously..

I did not know that about DSLR recording in .h264.. yukky!

good points all, I'm really just trying to encourage ONE of you to just GIVE me your adapter, preferably with a flip module, Ill pay shipping. ;)

but seriously..

I did not know that about DSLR recording in .h264.. yukky!

You and me both - though I'm trying to get someone to part with their s16 rig or maybe a semi-busted 16mm optical printer as a donation to a "starving artist" :lol:

Barring gifts from mysterious angels, I plan on building one based on these:

http://store.redrockmicro.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.3/.f

... mostly academic for me, I like to build stuff and doing so helps me understand it further. Of course if it looks good, it will definitely see use. The plans are fairly cheap and I know a good machinist for certain parts.

Ya, not sure why Canon went that route, no idea what Nikon is using. Will be interesting to see how the manufacturers respond to the complaints. The 5D finally got manual audio level control with the 24p firmware update, so Canon at least seems interested in responding to their customer base.

They (Canon) recently announced a 4:2:2 codec closer in spec to the one Sony runs for the EX series***. They're hawking an unmarked camera body (like the XH line) as their solid state model on the new codec. Would be interesting to see if the processing power ever trickles down to the dslr bodies, which I imagine is the main reason for the choice of compression.

*** - I might be off base on the Sony 4:2:2 thing. I assisted on a shoot with one of their new PDW series cameras that did 4:2:2, but I cannot recall if there is a codec difference between that and the ex1/ex3 cameras.

Last edited:
Back