• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

2.39 and 2:4:1

Hey all,

I feel like I'm blasting this forum with too many posts. So I'll try to make this quick.

I've been looking in DCP requirements, etc. As Jax has pointed out in a previous discussion we had on this, 2.39 is the norm.

All my r3d files from a shoot say they're 2:4:1. I'm mastering at 2K 2.39 (for DCP). So that would be 2048x858. But using that resolution with my r3d files, or even bumping to 4K to check the same 2.39 ratio, it gives me black slivers on the top and bottom. These only go away when going to 2048x853 which is true 2:4:1.

I've contacted RED to clear this up, but I'm assuming now that this was a setting chosen by the DP in camera. So it can't be changed.

If this is the case, and it's not something I'm overlooking with the r3d files, then should I stick with the 2.39 and just deal with the slivers of black (they're pretty small, but probably larger on a big screen :) ). Or is there another option?

Ok guys thanks!

If you shot with anamorphic lenses, then the footage should be in native 2.39:1 aspect. You should be able to export out of REDCine as a stretched 16:9 or as native 2.39:1.

If you shot spherical then the only thing that could have happened is the DP has brought up 2.40:1 framing guides. If so, this is just a guide, and you can easily export full 16:9 images out of REDCine.

If you're using the .r3d's natively to edit, your editing software is likely interpreting the 'look' file and using that to give you your framing and colour info.
That's by no means 'baked in' and you should be able to change it in REDCine or similar

Okay, sorry but I can't answer your question. Jax is much better equipped to do that. Anyway, I was curious about this thread because you posted something about "2:4:1", which didn't make sense to me. I now see that you meant 2.4:1, got it.

Anyway, the only reason I'm posting here is to tell you that you shouldn't be sheepish about asking questions. As of now, you have a total of 28 posts. That's nothing. Keep asking your questions, that's one of the main purposes of this forum! :)

Back