$1400 Budget, am I doing it right?

Alright so my budget is $1400 and I've been reading a lot of threads on this website and I've decided this is what I'm going to purchase to start making short films.

Camera:
I've decided to go with the Canon GL2 because I'm seen some really good footage on various websites and the manual settings could help me down the line.

Sound:
I chose the Rode NTG-2 because its battery powered and I can get a cheap one for $200 on eBay.

Lighting:
I'm not 100% sure with this decision but this kit looks alright for a noobie.
http://www.tubetape.net/servlet/the-373/ql1000/Detail

Editing:
Already have a mac and Final Cut so I'm good in this department.

Any suggestions on how I could improve my kit?

If you mean the GL2 the SD prosumer cam I wouldn't pay more than $500 for one. I wouldn't pay more than $500 for a GL2, XL1, XL2, or any other SD cam unless it came with a TON of extras. People list them for more, but they tend to not sell. They are JUST this side of a doorstop at this stage.

GL2? That's a relic. Might be good for target practice or possibly as an anchor in a small boat. That's an old SD 4:3 tomato can from the 90's no? Even in its day, it wasn't special. PULEEZE don't get that

It's a step up from the GL cameras, it at least has XLR inputs. It's still overpriced, though. You keep mentioning that these are semi professional cameras, but there is absolutely no professional use for them anymore. You'll never make money from anything shot with them. On the other hand, a DSLR in the same price range can get you professional paying gigs if you market yourself well.

Rainbow, don't let everyone price you out of your budget. While obviously you don't want to overpay for anything, the trend among techies is "newer and newest" when it comes to equipment. Don't fall for this hype unless you can truly afford it.

While they're pushing you away from SD, they may not realize that your computer may not be able to handle HD, and likely the edition of FCP you have may not either. If you get a HD camera as a result of these comments you may find yourself having to upgrade your computer and software. $$$? It'll be coming out of your pocket, not ours.

I suggest you make your film with what you can afford and tell the best story you can -- if you do, nobody will notice that you shot in SD.

After your short is done, you'll have a better feel for what equipment to get next.

ps: you don't NEED a lighting kit, you can buy cheaper lights at Home Depot. Its not what you light with, but HOW you light it.

Good luck to you!

I disagree, people will immediately recognize you shot with an old SD format because it will be in the archaic 4:3 aspect ratio. Your film will look dated the instant it's released.

Another thing, a DV tape cam that old is probably on it's last legs. Tape drives a finicky delicate little creatures. Solid state is the way to go.

Also, I shot for a long time with DV Tape and I don't have great memories of trying to capture, in real time, DV tape. What a head ache.

I disagree, people will immediately recognize you shot with an old SD format because it will be in the archaic 4:3 aspect ratio.

Not if you letterbox it.

If you light your set well, grade and color correct properly, you'll fool a lot of people watching your film because they'll be engaged with your story and creative ideas. Only "techies" will nick pick over your format selection!

-----------

ps: This is what I'm talking about . . . the gentleman even used "old" and "archaic" in the same sentence. :lol:

-----------

I don't have great memories of trying to capture, in real time, DV tape.

Done a feature film, captured from over 100 tapes. Not one dropped frame. You must not have a Mac. :lol:

Last edited:
Well I'm not too worried about SD and mini DV but its just that I can find a cheap semi professional mini dv camera for a few hundred.

What about an XL1s?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Canon-XL...deo_Cameras&hash=item4cf8f4ac95#ht_500wt_1156

+ this:

http://www.matrox.com/video/en/products/mac/mxo2_family/mxo2_mini/#close

Skip the tape, run s-video out from the camera into the mxo2 mini. Well, not right away. I think those boxes are a little spendy, but it shows you could easily breath life into a camera like that later on so it more attractive as a longer term camera with a cheaper initial buy-in and a secondary investment down the line. There are options like the Atomos Ninja that drop the computer from the chain. It becomes sort of pseudo-HD cam at that point. Skipping the need to write to tape and performing the transcode in the box while shooting.

Just a thought. ;)

Double edit:

I was curious to see what other XL offerings were on Ebay. This might be in line with your interests:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FISHEYE-...=AU_Video_Cam_Accessories&hash=item4aa60816f5

Again, not suggesting you need any of this right away. :D

Last edited:
4:3 is 4:3, letterboxing won't change that, unless you crop the image, which means you're throwing away information, and with SD, you don't have much to begin with. And it also means you have to "Shoot for Widescreen" which is another headache.

I've captured tapes in Mac and PC with Premiere, FCP, Edius and Vegas and many brands of Camera and different tape formats and have had a lot of issues, as have a lot of people, the most common is the notorious "Device Not Found". Dropped frames is also a common problem. Dirty tape heads. Worn tape heads. Blown firewire ports. Mechanical failure in the head.These are problems people had when mini DV cams were new! Scary to think what'd be like to use one now. http://www.google.com/search?q=drop...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Pointing someone toward an outdated format and a likely worn out consumer camera that was never particulary good in the first place is bad advice.

Pointing someone toward an outdated format and a likely worn out consumer camera that was never particulary good in the first place is bad advice.

I would never point anyone toward a worn out camera. Indeed, I said previously in another thread that I only trust BH Photo Video for used cameras and/or if you buy a known camera from someone you know.

I've had virtually none of the problems you speak of with SD over the years and am still selling a letterboxed feature over the net and (by demand) now working on a newer edition with more extras -- all original SD footage.

Yes, newer projects will be in HD because I have the resources. My main argument here is that techies often derail projects with "newest" and "best" hype. It should be: make your film NOW with what you have or can afford. Your day for the newest and the best will come later.

We can agree to disagree and let readers make up their own minds for their current circumstances.

It's a step up from the GL cameras, it at least has XLR inputs. It's still overpriced, though. You keep mentioning that these are semi professional cameras, but there is absolutely no professional use for them anymore. You'll never make money from anything shot with them. On the other hand, a DSLR in the same price range can get you professional paying gigs if you market yourself well.

Yes quite so that no one professional uses mini DV anymore but I'm just going to buy a DSLR down the line, for now I just want to have some practise with manual settings and just working everything out.

+ this:

http://www.matrox.com/video/en/products/mac/mxo2_family/mxo2_mini/#close

Skip the tape, run s-video out from the camera into the mxo2 mini. Well, not right away. I think those boxes are a little spendy, but it shows you could easily breath life into a camera like that later on so it more attractive as a longer term camera with a cheaper initial buy-in and a secondary investment down the line. There are options like the Atomos Ninja that drop the computer from the chain. It becomes sort of pseudo-HD cam at that point. Skipping the need to write to tape and performing the transcode in the box while shooting.

Just a thought. ;)

Double edit:

I was curious to see what other XL offerings were on Ebay. This might be in line with your interests:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FISHEYE-...=AU_Video_Cam_Accessories&hash=item4aa60816f5

Again, not suggesting you need any of this right away. :D

Great link, I'll definitely be having a look at one of those MXO2 when I get a new camera.

Rainbow, don't let everyone price you out of your budget. While obviously you don't want to overpay for anything, the trend among techies is "newer and newest" when it comes to equipment. Don't fall for this hype unless you can truly afford it.

While they're pushing you away from SD, they may not realize that your computer may not be able to handle HD, and likely the edition of FCP you have may not either. If you get a HD camera as a result of these comments you may find yourself having to upgrade your computer and software. $$$? It'll be coming out of your pocket, not ours.

I suggest you make your film with what you can afford and tell the best story you can -- if you do, nobody will notice that you shot in SD.

After your short is done, you'll have a better feel for what equipment to get next.

ps: you don't NEED a lighting kit, you can buy cheaper lights at Home Depot. Its not what you light with, but HOW you light it.

Good luck to you!

Thanks for the positive outlook! :cheers:

Great link, I'll definitely be having a look at one of those MXO2 when I get a new camera.

They seem decently rugged for a device that mimic's an Apple case design. The mini is small enough to rig onto a camera for handheld work, but would take some creativity to power and run to a laptop.

Atomos Ninja seems a better choice

I couldn't remember the name of the company last night, but these guys make solid converters. Well, solid enough for monitoring, I've not seen footage recorded through one. Would pair nicely with an Atomos or an mxo2

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/miniconverters/

Bear in mind that going this route is going to cost a couple grand, but you are getting gear that would serve many cameras including older SD ones that you are considering starting out with.

Your thread title is your initial gear investment, yeah? Not your total budget for a specific project?

Last edited:
Back