• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

$1000 Spielberg

So, for the first time ever since joining indietalk I'm pimping the site for my new project.

Here's the logline for it:

Over the next eighteen months I will write and produce a commercially successful movie with a production budget of $1000.

Not only that I'm doing the entire process in public -- explaining the techniques I'm using and the decisions I make as I go along.

Whether it's a roaring success or I fall flat on my ass -- it's all unfolding here at $1000 Spielberg

Tune in and watch the carnage! -- If you like watching three day cat-fights about "high concept screen writing" this is the site for you!

I think this is great and I think you will probably be successful. Not too hard to recoup a $1k budget. I just hope Spielberg doesn't sue you ;) Best of luck :)

His law suit was about use of a variation on Dreamworks, which is understandable because his company has a regeistered tradename.

I'd be surprised if he came after me -- he doesn't strike me as a petty man -- and unless he's planning to get into micro-budget film making I don't represent competition or any kind of commercial threat.

Of course, if I start getting a higher google rating than him, that might change! LOL

Let me know how I can help if you need anything

The information you've given me already has really helped.

Last edited:
I'm so surprised to see the large number of Hollywood names that have migrated to the indie world. Every time I turn on IFC or the Sundance channel, I see a new actor/filmmaker who was a big Hollywood name now living (and enjoying) their new freedom in the indie world.

I really like the domain name, it encapsulates my entire philosophy of high quality, commercial, low budget film making.

Until someone comes after me -- it's staying.

I'd be surprised if he came after me -- he doesn't strike me as a petty man -- and unless he's planning to get into micro-budget film making I don't represent competition or any kind of commercial threat.
It often isn't about the person. Spielberg might not be a petty man, but the lawyers charged with protecting a percieved value might be. However, if they came after you in a very public way it will drive more people to your site.

It often isn't about the person. Spielberg might not be a petty man, but the lawyers charged with protecting a percieved value might be. However, if they came after you in a very public way it will drive more people to your site.

That's what I figured.

Plus, everyone expects the worst of people -- maybe he'll have his attention brought to the project and instead of setting his lawyers onto me, he'll see the merit in what I'm doing and give me his public blessing.

Who knows! :lol:

This is a strange industry.

I'm fascinated by this goal and will be watching. There are certain unavoidable expenses that would drive a budget over that $1,000 mark. I'm assuming the $1,000 restriction is to your out of pocket expense. Am I right? I mean, you can't afford to feed a cast and crew of even 10 for 6 days on $1,000 unless other people spend the money.

If someone donates the tapes that doesn't count against the $1,000? If you use a location for free and the owner pays for the electricity used that doesn't count against the $1,000? So as long as you get someone else to provide (spend the money) certain services and items this seems like it can be done.

But I can't imagine how you could make a feature film for a total or $1,000 even if everyone donates their time. I look forward to reading about your journey.

It is an intriguing concept, but am more interested in the 'accounting' aspect of it. You can go through $1000 quickly at a location. There's meals, actor payment, gasoline... Who's electricity are you plugging into, or did you rent a generator?

These are just a fraction of the questions I hope you tackle on the site.

Yes, before I even started this, I sat down and worked out 95% of how I'm going to achieve this.

If I get this right I'm allowing 2 x $40 of that budget for big fat Cuban cigars for me and the DOP at the wrap.

That's my incentive to get this right.

And I'll be unlocking bits and pieces of how we're going to make the budget work as we go along -- because some of it will need to be set in motion as we're developing the script.

I'm really excited about this project -- I used to rock climb -- climbs are graded by the extremity of the route you're climbing -- I get the same buzz off this project -- I like the extremity of the challenge.

I'm fascinated by this goal and will be watching. There are certain unavoidable expenses that would drive a budget over that $1,000 mark. I'm assuming the $1,000 restriction is to your out of pocket expense. Am I right? I mean, you can't afford to feed a cast and crew of even 10 for 6 days on $1,000 unless other people spend the money.

If someone donates the tapes that doesn't count against the $1,000? If you use a location for free and the owner pays for the electricity used that doesn't count against the $1,000? So as long as you get someone else to provide (spend the money) certain services and items this seems like it can be done.

But I can't imagine how you could make a feature film for a total or $1,000 even if everyone donates their time. I look forward to reading about your journey.

Yes, the $1000 budget only covers the "out of pocket" expenses -- this will mean gathering creative donations of resources.

However, I will NOT be cheating by offering deferments.

And you are right, it is going to be a challenge.

Back