• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

$100 Boat Ride

Back again =/

I guess I was a little argumentative and my post got deleted. You all have my apologies. Mods said I could post it again with better behavior :cool:

I was hesitant to post this. You probably have a bad impression of me or got the wrong idea. I'll have to change the way I word my posts to prevent that from happening in the future. I'm a nice guy when you get to know me...a little defensive, but overall I'm a good guy.

Anyway, here it is one more time.

http://mypassengers.wordpress.com

The reason I created this whole thing is to get $1,500 together so that I can go work my 80 hour weeks this summer to save $6,000 for my documentary. I was trying to think of what I could offer or sell that was worth paying $100 for. In my mind I was like ok, I'll make a list of all the things I can give people in return and try to offer as much as possible. The result is what you see on the site.

I'll be using the $1,500 to pay for the first months hotel and food expenses, a Coleman duffle bag for travel, a bus ticket, a $79 bike and supplies and emergency money if I get stranded or an accident happens. The total amount of money I will be leaving with will be over $2,000. Within 2 weeks after I sell these memberships I'm going back to my old town to pick up from where I fell down. It will be a good learning experience and give me some time away. Being back there enables me to get a better job that pays more than what I could get here at my current location, plus reduces my living expenses. Dublin is also a better location and I know people in the area so it will really work out well for me to be back there. It's a good city and has very nice communities with good schools and a low crime rate.

Everything you see on that site is what I thought of to offer in the sale. Is it worth paying $100? Yes, it really is. I will be doing as much as I can to make everyone happy and satisfy my members. I don't want Mutiny on my ship or to be walking the plank. Shiver me timbers!

I guess that it's possible that I'll put the $6000 towards the documentary and it won't come out as good as I'm aiming for. Maybe no one will like it. Maybe it will only get 10,000 plays out of a whole year of aggressive promotion. I very very highly doubt it, but maybe.

I'm not selling a documentary though, I'm selling 15 memberships to my site so that I can get the money to give it my all.

I'm positive you will be entertained and get some good laughs plus see some new stuff, learn some things you didn't know, watch tons of good videos from me and others, get plenty of good information and more. There will be more on the site than what it looks like.

I am asking anyone out there who can afford it to please consider buying a membership. It will be good times and a memorable experience.

Thank you for your consideration.

Last edited:
Welcome back! Hopefully it'll go a bit more smoothly this time :)

I'll be up front and say that I don't have any intention of paying up - the few projects that I have donated to have been pitched by people that I've known fairly well, either on or offline, so it's nothing personal - but that's not to say I don't want to help.

If I'm honest it's very unclear what your plan is and what people are paying for - the main page on your website doesn't really explain what the documentary is about, just all the perks they can get. You say you're trying to earn $6,000 to fund it - so are the subscribers/passengers adding to that, or are they paying for your living expenses while you work? If the latter, I don't think you'll have much luck; it would make more sense for you to work for longer than for people to pay your costs while you earn money.

I think the pitch needs to be shorter and clearer - it doesn't matter how persuasive you are if prospective sponsors have no idea what they're giving you money for. It's all very well giving out perks (it's worth adding here that fewer, higher quality perks may give people more confidence and make you seem a little less desperate for funding), but a lot of what you've written above makes it sound like you're getting a great deal - being brutally honest, I don't think people want to give you money to have "a good learning experience and give [you] some time away".

It's good you've been given a chance to come back and back a second pitch, but I think a lot of the problems that were commented upon there still exist in this one.

If I'm honest it's very unclear what your plan is and what people are paying for - the main page on your website doesn't really explain what the documentary is about, just all the perks they can get. You say you're trying to earn $6,000 to fund it - so are the subscribers/passengers adding to that, or are they paying for your living expenses while you work? If the latter, I don't think you'll have much luck; it would make more sense for you to work for longer than for people to pay your costs while you earn money.

Thanks for being honest. Yeah, I didn't want to make the main page any longer than what it already was, so instead of detailing the documentary on the site I instead put a link to the documentary details under "Get on". To answer your question: No, they are not adding to the $6,000. The reason behind selling these memberships is to get the money to leave with and cover the initial expenses. Quote from my site: "I’m putting together a group of guys (and girls) and taking them with me on the ride for $100 each. Why? Because I need some more cash to cover the expenses of the hotel, food, travel and supplies. That way all the rest of the money will go towards the $6,000 goal in 4 months."

It does make more sense to work longer, but I don't have enough money to cover it. I won't get my first paycheck for 2 weeks and the hotel and food will be $600-$700+/month. Plus I need supplies and security. It is better this way.

That is why I am selling 15 memberships and setup a private site, to make money for this summer project. Similar to opening a lemonade stand to get some extra money for a project. One wouldn't say "Oh, so I'm paying for your project?" one would say they are buying a delicious glass of lemonade.

I think the pitch needs to be shorter and clearer - it doesn't matter how persuasive you are if prospective sponsors have no idea what they're giving you money for. It's all very well giving out perks (it's worth adding here that fewer, higher quality perks may give people more confidence and make you seem a little less desperate for funding), but a lot of what you've written above makes it sound like you're getting a great deal - being brutally honest,

Don't take this the wrong way but it wasn't a pitch, there are no sponsors, no one is 'giving' me money and I was in fact clear about what people are buying. I do agree that it could be more short...and actually maybe even a little more detailed so people get a better picture of what they're getting...thanks!

I don't think people want to give you money to have "a good learning experience and give [you] some time away".

lol, well that is good, because that isn't what is being sold on the site :cool:

This is far from going to get some time away. I'll be staying in a dirt cheap hotel room and eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and water while working 80 hour weeks. Spraying febreze on my clothes because I won't be able to do laundry regularly. Some time away would be more like relaxing on the beach in Fiji.

Thanks for your input and being honest!

Can I ask a few questions? What exactly is the documentary going to be about? Is it your life story? Or just 6 months of it? What will you be doing in those six months? Why would people want to watch a documentary about you?

On your website, you write:

"Why do you want to watch my 45 mini doc? Because it is funny, informative, and entertaining among other things, such as awesome."

How do you know that if it doesn't exist yet? How are you going to have the time to make this mini doc while working 80 hour weeks?

You know what I think would be a better bet for you? Pitch a fundraiser for your documentary! Ask people to contribute to your project, your total goal being $6,000. If you can tell people you're making an awsome documentary about (insert whatever-it-is-your-documentary-is-actually-about here) and show them why, precisely, you need this money, they'll be much more inclined to contribute than they would to cover your cost of living for four months.

Can I ask a few questions? What exactly is the documentary going to be about? Is it your life story? Or just 6 months of it? What will you be doing in those six months? Why would people want to watch a documentary about you?

Yeah it's about my life story. I don't know if filming will take 6 months anymore, probably less time now. Best to just say 6 months though.

Why would people want to watch a documentary about me? Because my story stands out from the story of most people, it is so much different, and very interesting. It isn't a normal story...and I think it is a good one. That might sound big headed and egotistical, but in reality it is not.

On your website, you write:

"Why do you want to watch my 45 mini doc? Because it is funny, informative, and entertaining among other things, such as awesome."

How do you know that if it doesn't exist yet? How are you going to have the time to make this mini doc while working 80 hour weeks?

I guess the same way an artist knows if he is about to draw a good picture. I'll have time, and always 1 day off during the week. Some weeks could be as little as 60 hours. That's retail :D

You know what I think would be a better bet for you? Pitch a fundraiser for your documentary! Ask people to contribute to your project, your total goal being $6,000. If you can tell people you're making an awsome documentary about (insert whatever-it-is-your-documentary-is-actually-about here) and show them why, precisely, you need this money, they'll be much more inclined to contribute than they would to cover your cost of living for four months.

Tried the fundraising thing and it wasn't enough to get anyone to go in, so now I'm getting the money on my own. It is hard to get strangers to donate to a cause if you don't already have some type of an image or organization, fan base, visitor base, friends, family and things like that. This private membership site should work better now that I am offering 10x as much, full refunds if people are not satisfied, tons more perks, tons more benefits and a much much MUCH better deal for everyone at a much cheaper price.

I admit it is a little too loud and a little too hot for my taste though. That will be fixed as soon as I can get some frickin fans in here lol.

Good questions!

Last edited:
So you're asking people to put up $1500 to cover living expenses for 4 months while you work to raise $6000?

$375 a month living expenses, $1500 a month income... Can't you work an extra month and take care of the $6k and $1500 living expenses?

So you're asking people to put up $1500 to cover living expenses for 4 months while you work to raise $6000?

No Paul, I'm not. I'm selling memberships to my private site that is offering tons of stuff for a good price.

If I was selling a "how to" book, would you say "So you're asking people to put money into your bank account so you can continue your career?"

I am bringing people in closer than normal though, so I guess it was a good question to ask.

$375 a month living expenses, $1500 a month income... Can't you work an extra month and take care of the $6k and $1500 living expenses?

I could if I was able to work at my current location. If I was to search everywhere and be willing to travel further day to day then I probably could actually, but I'm not going to. I'm doing this my way for a change.

See, where I'm going in Ohio, the hotel is 2 miles from where I'll be working. I can just hop on a bike and ride there in 5-10 minutes right down 1 main road. No gas or car insurance payments. It is in a good location and has tons of other places I can apply for...literally about 20 to 30+ different places within that area. Where I live now there is no where to really work right now. Plus, I've worked at the location I'm going to be employed at before. I spent 3 years with the company and have family who worked for the company. I quit with them when I moved to the south because there was no stores there. I'm back up north now.

Why do you ask? Are you skeptical and suspicious of my intentions or are you genuinely concerned with why I don't just go work a month or two and save the $1,500 then go work this summer? Either way is fine, just curious.

…but have you ever drawn a picture before?

yep. lol, this is old, but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4bZSQpMFEk

Back when I named it there were two versions, hero long and hero short. Doesn't mean a short film. Coincidence I guess.

Anyway I was 15 years old when I made this video and at the time it was funny to other kids my age. You have to watch it all the way through to get it. It is a terrible, stupid, retarded video in my opinion. I only posted it to show that I'm not timid or camera shy.

The facial expressions, lol.

Yes is the answer to your question though.

Last edited:
Update: I have edited the page and included more details about what you would be getting for your money. It should be much easier to see exactly what you would be buying and what you will get if you decide to buy a membership.

Sorry for not being more specific before!!

Cory, as suggested earlier why not just work an additional month - six weeks and negate the 'sponsership route? imho 99% viewers, think the same - hence the lack of interest...

= just work your butt off, do you're thing - if anyone cares after that, maybe it'll happen - at the mo people just think so what! Who the F are you?

Sorry dude, nothing personal but that really is the bottomline - believe it or not - absolutely No offense intended...

Cory please remember we all pitch something on this site - some more subtle than others...

;)

UPDATE: http://alrightletsmakeamovie.wordpress.com

I took the advice that was offered from everyone and everywhere, but I did it in my own way.

- Better theme, cleaner look.
- Opened the marketing end to more than filmmakers and internet marketers.
- Explained the documentary more.
- Added "About me"
- Listed skills
- Clear with goals and intentions
- Easier to read
- Added Pictures & Videos section
- Added "Questions" section.
- Added contact form
- Listed the benefits and "what you get" in its own section for easier reading.
- Made more clear what people are actually getting and added and removed many things to appeal to different people.
- New approach, going more personal with this. It is officially my "personal website".
- Few others.

So what will your excuses be now? lol, kidding...I think, maybe, not sure.

Hope this changes some minds. =/

@thfdocumentary: I don't recommend using that video as evidence that you know how to make a documentary.

I recommend going away and making something a couple of minutes long, in documentary form to prove to investors that you have the requisite skill sets.

@thfdocumentary: I don't recommend using that video as evidence that you know how to make a documentary.

I recommend going away and making something a couple of minutes long, in documentary form to prove to investors that you have the requisite skill sets.

Thanks for the recommendation. I will say that I'm not using the video section as evidence that I know how to make a documentary. I'm putting videos on there for the same reason I put the pictures and "About me" ya know. People should be able to see me on camera first. There are some recent videos on the youtube channel and more on the way.

Also, investment???

What does my skill level have to do with the decision anyway? I'm a newcomer to documentary making...so? What does your expectations of the quality of work have to do with the decison? I'm not selling a top documentary.

An investment involves risk. The only risk with your purchase is your reputation in the event that the documentary gets boo'd by the public, which I highly doubt.

If anyone is worried about that just make it anonymous :]

If I put $100 into your film then I am going to be down $100 until you send me money after making the film and selling the equipment. That's a risk. It's a risk for the same reason that I don't lend everything I earn out to my friends, even if I know they're going to pay me back- I won't have access to that money for the period of time when it's 'loaned' out to you.

And, yes, this is an investment, as is anything into which anyone might put money. And, yes, your skill level has everything to do with me (or other people) investing or not. I personally don't really think that people should be crowdfunding (or this slight variant) for their first film before they've proved to people that they can go out and shoot at least something off the back of their own initiative.

Nothing to do with my reputation, everything to do with the allocation of the limited resources I have available to me.

If I put $100 into your film then I am going to be down $100 until you send me money after making the film and selling the equipment. That's a risk. It's a risk for the same reason that I don't lend everything I earn out to my friends, even if I know they're going to pay me back- I won't have access to that money for the period of time when it's 'loaned' out to you.

And, yes, this is an investment, as is anything into which anyone might put money. And, yes, your skill level has everything to do with me (or other people) investing or not. I personally don't really think that people should be crowdfunding (or this slight variant) for their first film before they've proved to people that they can go out and shoot at least something off the back of their own initiative.

Nothing to do with my reputation, everything to do with the allocation of the limited resources I have available to me.

Understandable, but there is no loan, investment or return though. It's a buy/sell. See what I'm saying?

For example, I make the documentary and the X amount of people who play it think that it isn't very good. A disappointment for me, but you still get what you paid $50 for, even though the results were disappointing and the general response from my audience was poor. What you're paying for isn't a promise for an excellent documentary that is going to rise to the top, although a free dvd is one of the things you get in the sale.

I see you have no interest at all in the sale though, understandably as you look like someone who wouldn't benefit much from what I'm selling, so I respectfully thank you for your consideration.

AHHH! Just changed the "So I don't waste money on a dotcom" that sounded scammish. People were asking why I don't buy a domain first and that is why. I don't know if I'll ever even get the first sale and if I don't make all 15 sales then I have to refund the other peoples money. Would be a waste to buy a domain without knowing if I'll ever get that 1st sale or all 15 sales. Domains are cheap, but still, I don't have paid hosting. Just free hosting with Godaddy.

Can't you work an extra month and take care of the $6k and $1500 living expenses?

I could if I was able to work at my current location. If I was to search everywhere and be willing to travel further day to day then I probably could actually, but I'm not going to. I'm doing this my way for a change.

It sounds like you're saying that it's actually possible for you to work, it's just more of a commute or a longer walk than you'd prefer, am I right? So "your way" is to beg people for a meager $1500 when it's altogether possible to earn it yourself? Sorry man, that's lazy. If this is your dream, get off the Internet and make it happen. $1500 isn't much in the grand scheme of things, enough time at any job and you'll get it. It's hard to back someone like this. It's a different story if you're already working 80 hours a week and supporting a family so there's no extra whatsoever or the little extra you could save will take years and years to reach $1500, but it really reads like you're unemployed and it's inconvenient to get a job. Read: inconvenient, not impossible.

Shoot, if nothing else a credit card company or a bank will loan that to you in a matter of minutes if you really don't want to earn it.

Back