$10,000 for Marketing

The forum is full of comments like these: "market your film..." "spend at least such and such % of your budget on marketing" "you have to drive traffic to the VOD company" but I really don't know how I should spend my money on MARKETING.

Say the movie is finished. Decent product.

How would or should one spend $10,000 to market their film?? I know it's not a lot but it's all I have available.

And don't give me this "Twitter and Facebook" crap. (I'll market through FB but not twitter)

I want to spend money in the right places. But WHERE? (e.g., paying a sales rep? google ads, youtube, i have no clue)

I hope you all can give me some serious advice! I'm hoping the IT forums as a collective can come up with a pretty stellar and unique ideas! A lot of you are an amazing pot of knowledge :) I would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited:
You are far too kind, sir! And, of course, no pressure on me to do well ;)

I'd love to make out for the premiere! Not sure I could swing it though, but I grew up on drive-in theaters and again, awesome opportunity!

Sorry I got into this thread so late.

But, $10,000 can buy you the services of a PR company for about a month. However, they can get you on the map within that month.

Or, you can afford a week at a NATPE Convention in the independent producers' area where investors, distributors, TV programming executives and major talent agencies will see your work in your booth.

If your market is cable TV, NATPE is for you.

I'm kind of an exploitive soul.
I'd check into a few different PR outfits, see what they'd explain to me for nothing more than our mutual speculative time, then cross pollinate what ideas and avenues they provided.

Just an idea.

Oh, nice find, even if a couple+ years old. (EDIT: Ah! Farther into the article I see it's younger than I thought with a September-23-2010 date on one quoted excerpt)!
I'm gonna cross link to your post here of your find, if that's okay with you. :)

Looks like the same principles definitely still apply.

Case in point, this passage here:
"Traditional Distributor"...
"It has actually been virtually the norm for smaller distributors of CD's and/or DVD's to rip off indie suppliers by paying pennies on the dollar owed for media sold. Just based on my experience and feedback I've heard from others, I'd say that about 80% of small distributors outright rip off suppliers. With physical media (DVD's) rapidly becoming obsolete, there will certainly be more blood as distributors go bankrupt and filmmakers get screwed."

... geehaws with this October 12, 2010 posted point here:
"Chapter Eleven Is Distributor Heaven
With the crash of the world financial market, quite a few distributors and sales agents have found themselves taking huge, six figure and seven figure losses. Most are so hopelessly under water, that it’d take an Avatar or two to pull them out of debt. So, instead of continuing to dig their own grave, many independent distributors are purposely bankrupting themselves and then setting up shop under a new company name. This can be a very smart business move, but it royally screws filmmakers. This is because once bankrupt; the distributor doesn’t have to pay filmmakers what they owe them. What’s worse, the films the distributor represents usually get tied up in the bankruptcy.

Attention filmmakers: when you’re signing a distribution contract, make sure you get two things in it:
1 - Your film rights revert back to you immediately upon your distributor or sales agent filing for bankruptcy.
2 - Your distributor cannot reassign or sell your rights to another entity, without your express written consent.

Demand these two clauses and you’ll safeguard yourself from having your film be eaten up by a bankruptcy.
http://www.filmthreat.com/features/26469/

* * * * * * * RETURN TO ARTICLE * * * * * * * * *

I find unqualified anecdotal personal opinions to be alarmist and harmful:
"One filmmaker says that because distribution companies are paying so little for rights to an indie movie, unless your film cost less than $5,000 you aren't going to get your money back. Another says that Lion's Gate used to pay $50,000 advances, but now they're barely paying $5,000."
Still, it looks pretty depressing as you say. :(

Yeeouch.
"Nowadays a movie must be made as cheaply as possible or it is doomed. With no stars (with legitimate box office draw) in your film, realistically you're probably not going to make more than $1,000 to $10,000 in gross profit in the USA over the life of the DVD."

Oh, h3ll yeah.
"The need for a someone "famous" in your movie can literally make the difference between getting distribution and not getting distribution, or between selling DVD's and not selling DVD's. This will cost you more money. If you are making an indie movie, don't just open up your wallet to anyone who seems "famous" or claims that their name sell DVD's because they appeared in this movie and that movie. Actors have big egos and will always make big claims. Instead you need someone with legitimate box office draw power."
Just look at the following links under "Starring" then "BO Gain or Loss".
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...Hh6cHJBMW5aQkZSMzZYR2V3VUxQVUE&hl=en_US#gid=0
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsBznn8D13zOdGlCeDRmWTFCYXJRWjJ3SUphZDNzMGc#gid=0
A single well known star, or even a gaggle of 'em, doesn't guarantee sh!t for theatrical distribution.
In fact, I will go on to say that just because a star reads your screenplay and agrees to work for whatever fee, that DOESN'T EQUATE to any sort of validation of how the story IS on paper or will BE after shooting and editing.
"Oh! Billy Zane agreed to be in MY film!" Ooo-whop-tee-doo!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1460639/ = Ratings: 2.7/10 from 353 users
MANY stars agree to be in SH!T films.

Oh, I like this. This makes a fair bit of sense:
"FILM FESTIVALS:
The goal of entering a film festival should be to get the attention of a quality distributor and maybe get some press / buzz. For most indie films I would not waste my money on the big film festivals like Cannes, Sundance, etc. On the flip side I would also not waste my time on rinky-dink film festivals in isolated cities where no industry people will ever see your movie and nobody will care if you were a winner either. I believe it's best to pick a few medium sized festivals in major markets like Los Angeles and New York, where distributors are based. A few that come to mind are the San Fernando Film Festival, the Malibu Film Festival, the Long Island Film Festival, and CineVegas. Otherwise I think you're just throwing away money. If you don't get any action out of these festivals then it's time to focus on self distribution."

Honestly, I could see both this POV and that of by winning or even showing in rinky-dinks that still generates more interest and attention to your own self distributed indie film.
To NOT generate interest is essentially leaving money on the table, HOWEVER this honestly depends upon if you feel your product really is good enough to warrant the speculative expense or is it actually just your ugly baby and you're wasting money better spent on your next/current production.

Niiiice.
"Based on my experience I fully believe that some if not most sales agents and/or distributors out there are opportunists and/or con artists, who fully intend to skip out on paying you in full or just want to cash in on your non-traditional sales, knowing that your movie has very little chance of ever getting distribution into physical stores like Best Buy, Wal-Mart, etc."

"Often they will only get you a deal with a small distributor that merely only winds up selling your DVD on Internet, which anybody can effectively do.
I'm of the opinion that most indie filmmakers can do a better job just being their own sales agent, thus saving 15 to 25% plus expenses."

"Foreign distribution deals are made in the form of cash buyouts per territory. Do not sign a deal whereby a foreign distributor pays you a percentage of sales, because from what I've seen they NEVER DO pay you or they short change you."

"Unfortunately it is very rare that an indie film ever gets that all important press and publicity that you need to begin to actually make money selling a movie. Any buzz usually begins at a film festival or by going "viral" on the Internet. If the movie doesn't have what it takes to create a buzz, it just won't take-off.
The movie does the selling -- not the distributor. Some distributors might like you to believe that they have magical selling powers, but they can't squeeze blood out of a rock."

"Realistically an indie filmmaker's best route is to post their movie on YouTube, enter it into a few film festivals, and then hope for the best.
It's highly unlikely that a nationally distributed magazine or TV program will mention your movie, but if you have a unique angle to get their attention then it can't hurt."

Last edited:
That's totally okay!

The market is simply too over-saturated... but... that just means I have to step up my game and be more relentless!!

If becoming successful was easy.. then everybody would do it!! :D

rayw too many colors makes it hard to read.

I would probably try to market my film my self. I am not so sure distributors actually do much marketing for indie films now days. I would think you could sell your dvd via amazon or your website and do the marketing your self. Unless your movie is really amazing where you could enter a major festival and attract distributors and get a good deal. The distributors would need a good marketing plan and budget for it. I would be very worried they would get the rights to your film and do little to no marketing.

Last edited:
Sorry, Rocker.

I scan.
Fast.

- Black type are my comments.
- Cinnamon type are quotations.
- Bold is usually author's headlines but sometimes just me yelling their point.
- Underlines are critical points, preceded and/or followed by context.

- Can't help the emoticons. ;)
- The blue highlight is an ignore-able edit.
- The bold red is "if you read only one thing on this page, d@mmit..."!

Yeah, it could be harsh if your banging through the whole monolithic slab, but three months from now when you get some vague recollections of... WTH wazzit I read?... you can:
- go back to the page,
- scan it quick,
- zero in on the meaty part you wanted, and
- skip what little chaff I pulled out of the original article.

I just can't see how any indie filmmaker could make money selling via their website, amazon, indieflix, etc.

I've come to the same conclusion. So what's the solution brother?

While everyone is saying how great it is that you'll get to show your film at a drive in (which by the way IS fantastic), I'm sure that's not your end goal or anybody else's. So where do we go after the drive in is over?

I was actually of the opinion that if I were to complete a feature, I would advertize in local free newspapers at a highly populated metropolitan area, like say Toronto, and then go to the local theaters and have them play the film. I came to this conclusion after talking to a couple of small theaters here, who said they would play pretty much any film if there was sufficient advertising money spent (they were talking 5000 bucks). I don't know if this is the case for all theaters, but they both definitely seemed interested. My conclusion was, if I advertise, people will go and they will sell their popcorn and soda, so their interest seemed reasonable. But for any campaign to be effective, I had thought that a highly populated metropolitan area would be desirable. And if the film is any good and people do go to see the film, then serious distributors would have to become interested in the film.

This is the idea in my head right now. It is based on absolutely no actual practical data or anything. On the other hand, people like Sonnyboo could tell us how they marketed their films and how they were able to do monetize so well. I'd love to hear about it.

Keep the ideas coming i say.

I agree True Indie with everything you said and you are right.. the drive-in is not my end goal. Really.. it's only supposed to serve as a premiere.

I'll be hitting up all my contacts with any clout with traditional distribution companies and see what they can offer me. If nobody bites then I'll hit some bigger film festivals and some in my home state. Other than that, festivals aren't really worth it (my personal opinion).

If the movie doesn't get picked up after all that then I'm shelving it. Hopefully my next project gets bigger and better and maybe after a few years my reputation and connections have grown...then I can un-shelve this project and use any momentum that I've gathered to sell it.

I refuse to hand it over to Netflix for $100.

I just can't see how any indie filmmaker could make money selling via their website, amazon, indieflix, etc.

It's up to you if you shelve it or not, but do know that there are a decent amount of producers making great money on self-distribution. The reality of it is, if you don't really have a feature that's obvious and big, even if you found a distributor you're going to make less than if you put feet to concrete and sold it on your own.

It's more work, but at the end of the day it's your money and you control how you deal with the property.

This is kinda why it's important that, if you don't have any recognizable faces, you either have a festival darling, a niche-heavy spectacle, or a broad vfx/sfx extravaganza.

If netflix gets rights for $100 maybe they will show the film and people may watch. If the viewers like the film they may buy the dvd or blu ray. I guess that is the gamble you make. Second it is a way for people to find you and get to know who you are.

I hear if you want to be found on On Demand on comcast make sure your film is named with a A, B or C for a title since it is listed alphabetical. Not sure how you get on On Demand.

My idea of selling on your website or amazon is only for selling. You need to drive traffic to the sale pages so they buy. In other words you need to do the advertising. So use what ever methods you can think of to drive the traffic. Probably best is if they see the film some how before they decide to buy. Meaning they rent, watch it in theater, or see it via netflix or on demand. Maybe they see the trailer on youtube and want it. But they got to have a strong reason to buy versus just seeing a poster or article.

Before selling your film to a distributor make sure you know what they will do for advertising and what they may spend on that. So you can decide if it is worth it. What kind of exposure could they give you that you can't do your own. I think it would really suck to have a distributor that does not do anything and you don't have the right to go some where else. Read the contract before signing.

Last edited:
I just personally think Netflix is the demise of indie filmmaking (as far as distribution is concerned). I honestly wouldn't care if Netflix tanked.

Kholi - I'm not trying to be an asshole but I'd really actually appreciate to hear from filmmakers who actually have made good money doing self distribution. I'm not talking like 100 sales but something that would be around $150,000 in sales.

Every filmmaker I talk to who has done self distribution has made like $20-100 a month if even.

Thanks, Ray for the link!! I wish TV advertising was cheaper!! Haha.

If netflix gets rights for $100 maybe they will show the film and people may watch. If they viewers like the film they may buy the dvd or blu ray. I guess that is the gamble you make. Second it is a way for people to find you and get to know who you are.

No offense, if Netflix only gives you 100 for your feature then you should find something else to do with your life.
I hear if you want to be found on On Demand on comcast make sure your film is named with a A, B or C for a title since it is listed alphabetical. Not sure how you get on On Demand.

Easy research reveals the path to all avenues of VOD, just not a lot of people research I guess.

Before selling your film to a distributor make sure you know what they will do for advertising and what they may spend on that.

They will spend nothing on it.

So you can decide if it is worth it. What kind of exposure could they give you that you can't do your own. I think it would really suck to have a distributor that does not do anything and you don't have the right to go some where else. Read the contract before signing.

Then it's going to suck to have any distro, because without any names you aren't getting them to spend any money on marketing your material; that's your job, not theirs.

I just personally think Netflix is the demise of indie filmmaking (as far as distribution is concerned). I honestly wouldn't care if Netflix tanked.

It's probably the last place you want to go before YouTube or other "free' services.

Kholi - I'm not trying to be an asshole but I'd really actually appreciate to hear from filmmakers who actually have made good money doing self distribution. I'm not talking like 100 sales but something that would be around $150,000 in sales.

Every filmmaker I talk to who has done self distribution has made like $20-100 a month if even.

You aren't talking to the right people.

Do research, it isn't that hard. And that's me kind of being an asshole because people seem to think that if one person hasnt' done it (yet) then they don't have accurate info. Not my downfall, I know what's up, I'm just trying to help others. Which, I probably shouldn't... it's more trouble than it's ever worth. Ray did research, in fact he seems to do the most research on these boards:
http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=37825

He doesn't even have a feature yet. There's a ton of info there that everyone could learn from.

http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=37045

I brought Kyle's attention to that thread to dispel similar noise. Completely self distro'd feature with a niche appeal. Stay in touch with your fellow filmmakers and you'll learn a lot. No offense, but this is just a basic of survival in this industry.

Also, no, you aren't making 150K if your stuff isn't prepped for that kind of money. Meaning, you should keep an eye on what's doing what and how it's selling, who's watching it, so on and so forth if money is your primary goal. You'll find you probably aren't doing something that you really like, but something that's going to get you to said money.

Don't take my words too harshly, trying to offer info to filmmakers is definitely a more difficult job than the actual task of filmmaking. I know why people don't bother with it, and I haven't even hit that stage yet.

Last edited:
Back