• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Magic Lantern

I use a Canon 600D/t3i and everyone is always telling me to get the magic lantern hack. If what people have said is true, it sounds very useful.

However most people either suggest or strongly point out that it is risky. Anyone got some examples where it failed? Also if it does fail, can I just re instal the actual Canon software or is my camera screwed? That's probably my biggest question, coz I'm cool to experiment if I can go back to the original settings.

Is the layout much different? Does it take a bit to adapt between them or is it basically the same just with a few more features? Some of these features I seriously don't get why Canon haven't just added in anyway..anyone know why not?

EDIT: two reasons why I should get it. It means I don't have to use external things like this. Anyone have thoughts on that's particular one?
Second reason I currently know of is to dial in the kelvin temperature

I've had the software sitting on my computer for over a month, can someone please convince me to install it?

Last edited:
I have a 60D, with Magic Lantern installed. As far as the layout goes, there isn't anything different with your menus. Magic Lantern has their own menu system, that you can get access to by pressing the garbage button (at least on mine). Then you use your typical ways to scroll through menus, to use the Magic Lantern features.

With Magic Lantern, nothing is changed about your cameras software. Magic Lantern is run off your SD card. You unzip the ML file onto your card. Then you go into canons firmware update menu, and update firmware. It gives you acess to ML's features. If you take your SD card out, and the one you replace it with doesn't have the ML software on it, then no Magic Lantern.

I had 1 card with the Hack, but recently added it to 2 more. I was worried about adding it, because when I did, I had just bought my 60d. I updated my cameras firmware, by following the instructions from canon. Then I Installed ML by following the instructions on their page.

I use it for the intervalometer and bracketing features (mostly), but there are a ton more. I just haven't explored them (since my 60d is mostly for still photos and timelapse).

Last edited:
I have the latest magic lantern installed its much more useable than previous releases, for me the multi ISO range and magic zoom and focus peak are my most used tools.

The downside I notice half the battery life maybe even less, I'm using a battery grip aswell you can however hold select when you turn on your camera to turn off magic lantern, personally install it on all cards it works with the t3i current firmware and is great.

I find one of the greatest features of MagicLantern is the ability to increase the video bitrate -- this help cut down on compression artifacts on smooth gradients.

I find one of the greatest features of MagicLantern is the ability to increase the video bitrate -- this help cut down on compression artifacts on smooth gradients.

what multiplier do you use ? on what canon ? is it stable ? any heating issues ?

i'd kill fot the same bitrate upgrade than the GH2.

what multiplier do you use ? on what canon ? is it stable ? any heating issues ?

i'd kill fot the same bitrate upgrade than the GH2.

Canon 5D Mk II. I kept upping the bitrate until it got crashy, then went back down to the last stable setting (I forget the exact one). It worked fantastically! Didn't even overheat. Then for the last shot of my current short I forgot to set the bitrate and got some horrible compression artifacts in the out-of-focus background that I cannot get rid of, even with gaussian blur. Grr. Still, it was just a technical test for my (hopefully) up-coming first feature.

'Course, then I got the 5D Mk III which has the higher bitrate option built-in...

Its interesting you brought this subject up, as i was just going to write a blog post about how ML is an essential program for me.

I was cautious about installing it, but so glad I did. Never heard any problems from anyone using it, only slight problem I have incurred is sometimes it automatically stops recording :(

I will link my blog post when its done :D

Is it easily removed from my card if I decide I don't like it?

It's just a file, so it's easily deletable simply by plugging the card into your computer. The other great thing about Magic Lantern is that it never installs itself inside the camera. Need to stop using ML? Turn the camera off and then on again.

Is it easily removed from my card if I decide I don't like it?

You can:

1) Manually delete the files from your computer, or

2) Every time you reformat the card in your camera, you are prompted to either keep the ML files, or delete them, while reformatting.

ML doesn't change anything on your actual camera. It all runs from the memory card. If the memory card has no ML on it, your camera runs just like normal.

Huh??!?!?

I always though Magic Lantern replaced your cameras firmware, making it possible to brick the camera! If that's not the case, I'll be installing it tonight!

Cheers guys!

Huh??!?!?

I always though Magic Lantern replaced your cameras firmware, making it possible to brick the camera! If that's not the case, I'll be installing it tonight!

Cheers guys!

That's exactly what I thought too!

It's great, I haven't made use of many of its functions yet, but I can tell its going to be useful. So far I've used the more advanced histogram, the audio levels (though I was recording externally anyway), the custom crop image kind of thing you can put on it, so I have a better idea when converting to 2.40:1 and the interverlator (<- or however you spell it!)

The thing is the normal menu is still there anyway if you decide you would rather use it

ML does make ONE change to your cameras firmware.. you do have to flash your cameras firmware for it to work. So yes, its can POTENTIALLY brick your camera.

The one change to on camera firmware is to enable booting from the card.

I did it on my T2i, no problem. Be sure to use Canon brand battery FULLY charged. Running from an AC adapter runs the risk of losing power during the operation which would NOT be good.

Back