Movie of the Month Club -- who wants in?

Okay, so there were a couple threads in which I tried to get discussions going in which we deconstruct movies. Talk about what works and what doesn't, from a filmmakers' perspective. I think this kind of conversation can be not just fun, but really healthy in that it just gets your brain-juices flowing. Even more important is that you'll be able to hear perspectives from other filmmakers.

Neither thread really worked out the way I had hoped, but I'm not entirely convinced that it was because people weren't willing to make these types of comments. I think it might be because nobody had watched the movie very recently, so it's difficult to make in-depth comments on something you saw maybe 10 years ago.

So, with that in mind, what if we started a Movie of the Month Club? If you're in this "club", then you'll have an entire month to watch a movie and post a detailed comment on it. I don't think that's a huge time-commitment, and I think it would be fun.

Not entirely sure how movies would be chosen. Maybe each member would have their turn to choose. Or, maybe some kind of voting-system. Perhaps the method should be determined by how many people are in.

Oh, and the movie would have to be on Netflix instant queue. Sorry to all our non-US friends; this rule is of course not intended to be exclusionary. Instant queue is just so damn convenient!

So, is there enough interest in this? Respond in this thread if you want in. Benefit of membership -- you help determine which movie we watch. Requirement of membership -- you'll be expected to watch it, and comment. Non-members are welcome to take part in the discussion, but are encouraged to follow the same guidelines as members (watch the movie, and critique as a filmmaker).

:D

the film riot guys were doing something like that wernt they? Not that thats a reason NOT to do it.. Im game, im not sure how much longer Ill be doing netflix. but until I kill it.. im in.

I'm in, but under one condition. I get to create a video responce on the movie :)
When do we start?

And yes, I AM video making wh*re.. lol

Last edited:
Cliche, good to see ya! I didn't realize you had the same dislike of horror movies as Dready. I won't personally be recommending any horror, but if/when it happens, I think that is a perfectly fair reason to bow out for a month.

Aye. But I don't have netflix, so if I can't get it on Amazon instant streaming and it's not in my library, I might have to pass depending.

Edit*****

I hate to flake but I think I'm going to bow out and just be an observer. So skip #14. I'm looking forward to following along though.

Last edited:
In.

Random roll to determine who picks, each "member" assigned the number of their post in this thread (or another with instructions to only post once)?

Or just go in order?

Wow, lots of people want in. Excellent.

I'm thinking there should be a little bit of democratization in the movie-selection process, so that we don't end up with some totally-random movie that absolutely nobody wants to watch, save for the person who recommended it.

So, unless anybody has any major objections, or has some grand idea that would work way better, I'm going to go ahead and say that this is how the selection-process will work:

Each month, three people recommend a movie, a poll is created, and we vote on those three movies. The three people who get to make recommendations are in order of signing up to be club members, so the first month will be myself, Dready, and wheaty. Whoever's movie is chosen is taken out of the suggestion pool; the other two get to recommend a movie next month, along with the new third person (in this case, JoshL). If your movie never gets picked, you can just make recommendations forever, but hopefully one of your suggestions will get picked. Voting-period would be brief, with a window of maybe 3 days.

I'll give it until roughly 24 hours, and if nobody chimes in with any grand ideas, I'm moving forward with this proposed method, and the process will officially begin.

Hazzah!

Like some of the others, I'm in, so long as I have access to the film. I subscribe to LoveFilm, the UK's NetFlix, but I don't think it's quite as good...

Either way, if I can watch the months movie, I'm in.

I'm in but with time and film conditions. If I'm swamped with work and/or can't get access to the film then I won't be able to participate. But I'll do my best otherwise!

I think it'd be helpful if you'd post a current list of things on the Netflix queue because we Engles can't actually even see the queue...

Back