movies What's the last film you watched? And rate it!

Prisoners

6.5/10

A decent story with decent acting. However, it has quite a few plot holes that I couldn't stop thinking of, which quite annoyed me.

The Maltese Falcon directed by John Huston - 10/10
Wow, just wow. This is one of those great Old Hollywood that just sweeps you up and makes you feel like never leaving its world. The film is one of those remarkable masterpieces of cinema that has a perfect blend of visuals, dialog, and a great story too. I can barely believe that this was a debut film!

The Maltese Falcon directed by John Huston - 10/10
Wow, just wow. This is one of those great Old Hollywood that just sweeps you up and makes you feel like never leaving its world. The film is one of those remarkable masterpieces of cinema that has a perfect blend of visuals, dialog, and a great story too. I can barely believe that this was a debut film!

I love Maltese Falcon! Probably Huston's finest film.

CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST - 6.5/10
Well... I dunno.
'CH' is kinduva historical reference point within the horror genré, and especially within the grindhouse/exploitation sub-genré.
I've heard plenty of references to it over the years, but have only just now gotten around to watching it, and... I dunno if I would recommend this to anyone outside of those interested in film as reference points.
The images were shocking, I suppose.
There's a lot of hoopla over the animal killings, but I've been around enough of that to know they didn't show anything that doesn't happen a bazillion times a day around the world. All three animal kills were pretty much about as good as it gets.
Mostly I'm impressed the producers found both late 1970's actors and a crew to make this film.
It gives me a new perspective on the original grindhouse/exploitation film movement.
(I still think grindhouse/exploitation is so ridiculous that modern homages should not be made with all the seriousness with which the originals were made. Pfft. Puh-leeeeze. They were reee-dik-o-lus then. They're absurd, now. The world has changed too much.)
Love the music score! Very well chosen. Made me think of John Carpenter's 'Assault on Precinct 13', which I love, own a copy of, and can easily recommend.
(Both films made for a reported $100k, BTW.)
And I'm certainly glad I watched 'CH' before eventually watching Eli Roth's upcoming release of 'The Green Inferno', directly inspired by 'CH'.

Last edited:
Wolf of Wall Street 8.5

A relentless ride through the mind of one hell of a charming sociopath with massive appetites for everything except humanity. Scorcese feels very engaged in this one. It was actually much funnier than I thought it was going to be.

People can say what they like about DiCaprio, but he gives it his all and more in this film.

However, it has much excess and could definitely have used some trimming. There are some obviously improv'd scenes that go on waaaaaaaay to long.

Agreed. For a movie that was just shy of three hours, it felt much shorter. I really enjoyed this flick. I laughed my ass off so hard that I will have to buy it on BluRay so I can go back and hear all of the jokes that I missed while I laughing my ass off.

"The Kid" Charles Chaplin

In regards to constant questions on what is the most important aspect of filmmaking,this film,4x3,b&w,silent,digitally projected from not a very good telecine, makes whole cinema laugh more than 90 years later. True genius!

Cabin in the Woods:

I liked this movie because it works on two levels. It works first as a cliche 'characters in an isolated location' horror film. It works on the second level because it is a commentary on not only the cliches found in these horror movies but about humans and our obsession with being voyeurs - watching reality television. I take this view because in the film one of the characters in the control center mentions that there's an audience out there that wants to be entertained, or something of that nature so they have to give them what they want.

The characters in the cabin situation do things that are found in many horror films but in this film it's not only because of their choice but because variables are adjusted to push them into making these choices.

At first I didn't like that they show us at the beginning that the events in the cabin and surrounding area are controlled. I wanted that to be revealed later but then again the back of the case of the dvd/blu-ray tells you anyway. I thought that all should have been kept secret. But later in the movie I changed my mind because it makes sense for them to have approached the story in this way,
because this isn't the major reveal, there's something more at work than what we are seeing been done by the 'puppeteers' in the control room, and it's much bigger even than they are.
9/10

Last edited:
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind directed by Michel Gondry; written by Charlie Kaufman - 9.5/10
This was a really impressive film! I loved the acting in it, the concept was awesome (one that I wish I'd come up with!), the writing was great, there are great cinematographic moments, and I've seen few films handle storytelling this way. I love the structure of this film is too, how it connects the beginning and end. I guess my only complaints are very minor, I just don't understand why some of the sub-plots are in the film. Also, I didn't quite connect with the protagonists at first, and even after I did it wasn't quite as deep of a connection than I have had with other characters in cinema. This is definitely one of those films I'll re-watch though, maybe I'll realize that my "complaints" were wrong, I sure hope so!

EDIT: I'm so sorry I forgot to mention the music which is absolutely gorgeous and used in a slightly unconventional (but perfect for the movie) manner.

"Clockwork Orange" - S.Kubrick

A lot of homage to Eisenstein. Use Ludwig Van's music is fenomenal! Gonna vid some more films!

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind directed by Michel Gondry; written by Charlie Kaufman - 9.5/10
This was a really impressive film! I loved the acting in it, the concept was awesome (one that I wish I'd come up with!), the writing was great, there are great cinematographic moments, and I've seen few films handle storytelling this way. I love the structure of this film is too, how it connects the beginning and end. I guess my only complaints are very minor, I just don't understand why some of the sub-plots are in the film. Also, I didn't quite connect with the protagonists at first, and even after I did it wasn't quite as deep of a connection than I have had with other characters in cinema. This is definitely one of those films I'll re-watch though, maybe I'll realize that my "complaints" were wrong, I sure hope so!

EDIT: I'm so sorry I forgot to mention the music which is absolutely gorgeous and used in a slightly unconventional (but perfect for the movie) manner.

Woohoo! I knew you'd like it! :)

Prologue directed by Béla Tarr - 8.5/10
I've always been skeptical of cinematic extremists. After hearing about Sátántangó and its seven hour running time and long slow contemplative shots, I've been intrigued by Tarr but at the same time cautious of his extremely contemplative style. I've finally gotten around to watching one of his films with this short. It's a contemplative one-shot film that implies many stories just by the faces it shows. The film is quite powerful, although it doesn't get very deep in its contemplation. I think I'm ready to watch more Tarr films though, as I am a fan of contemplative cinema and enjoyed this work a lot (although I'm not a big fan of long running times).

Venice 70: Future Reloaded: Yonfan directed by Yonfan - 7.5/10
It's funny how the film ends with the Chinese (Cantonese, Mandarin?) symbol for "rhythm" since that is the exact word I thought about while watching the film. It has a lot of rhythm and color, not much else but definitely worth watching since its only a minute long.

The World's End - 7/10
Like others, I found this the least of the "Three Flavours Cornetto trilogy", but fairly entertaining just the same - AFTER the 39min mark.
Groaaaaaaan.
Own the other two, don't think I'll be buying this one, tho.
Good to see both Pegg and Frost play completely different characters.
Dialog is great, as always.
The end of it reminded me a great deal of 'Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy'

Seven Samurai - 7/10
A good, historically significant film worth watching once for your own education.
Probably oughtta sandwich it with both 'The Hidden Fortress' and '13 Assassins'.
However, I don't believe '47 Ronin' should be associated with it. :lol:

Dark Star - 4/10
Just couldn't get into it.

Brazil - 4/10
Couldn't get into this one either.

Don Jon - 5/10
Ever watch the first ten, fifteen mintes of a film, feel like it's not really gonna throw you any curve balls, then you just wanna go look it up on wikipedia and read the synopsis in five minutes and save yourself the remaining... eighty minutes?
Yeah.
That.

Pain & Gain - 2/10
Turned it off fifteen minutes into it.
A whole lotta screen talent just wasted.
WTH was Michael Bay thinking?

Parkland - 9/10 if you liked 'Zero Dark Thirty', 6/10 if you don't really care for historical faux-documentaries.
Director did a great job of telling several of the side stories sourrounding the JFK assassination.
Very well done.

Last edited:
Back