Myths and Misinformation Perpetuated by Hollywood

You can break a bottle over a person's head and they'll be momentarily dazed.

It takes 30 seconds or less to strangle a person to death.

You can begin mouth-to-mouth on a drowned person without first clearing the water from their lungs (kudos to James Cameron, who got this one right in The Abyss).

I like how women let some sweaty, dirty guy who was just out cutting grass or working on a farm jump right into bed with them for some passionate scene. If I tried that, my wife would say "Eww, are you crazy?!" Guess movie characters have no sense of smell. lol

You can find the complete list of Film Sound Cliches here:

http://www.filmsound.org/cliche/

But here are a few of my favorites:

Every button you press on a computer makes some kind of beep

Text being spelled out on screen (whether computer or lower third) MUST make some sort of typing and/or dot-matrix-printer type of sound.

People standing outside a running helicopter can always talk in normal or just slightly louder than normal voices

Every helicopter shutting down emits the chirp-chirp-chirp sound of the rubber drive belts disengaging, in spite of the fact that only the famous Bell 47G (the Mash chopper) actually makes this sound.

When a character pulls out a knife, even from his pants, you hear a sound of metal brushing metal

Anytime a person speaks into a microphone, their first words will cause the mic to feed back.

The first spoken words must be either 'Testing, Testing' or 'One Two,One Two'

When the star travels to...
-London, we see a shot of Big Ben and hear Rule,Britainia.
-Hong Kong: a Chinese junk and wooden xylophone music (or a deep gong).
-New York: a traffic jam on Broadway and frenetic xylophone music.
-Paris: the Eiffel Tower and accordion music.

Radio
-When listening to music on the radio in the car, the song on the radio never changes during a single scene. The scene rarely outlasts the song...if it does, one of the characters will turn the radio off before the end of the song.
-There are never any commercials on the radio.
-It's always easy to find romantic makeout music on the radio right when you need it.

And, in honor of JohnNetzlof:

Handguns: All handguns make a frightening clicking sound when handled as though to suggest that the parts are loose. The more advanced the gun (Men in Black) the louder, and more varried, the clicking. In real life any gun making noises like that would probably explode in your hand with the first discharge.
Note: All energy type weapons will power up with a loud hum.

Back