Covering up those walls!

sfoster

Staff Member
Turn plain white walls into a background at a real house!
Lets hear some ideas.

I'll begin..

1) A photo of the character and or/his friends framed on the wall.

2) An end table with a lamp. Or just a tall floor lamp.

Does anyone know about the legality of using figurines?

Like if I have a ceramic duck or a gnome or something, do I need creator permission to feature it?
Maybe a cookie jar in the shape of a cow.

I'm not talking about a specific likeness such as magneto or he-man figurines.

I don't know how the law works in the USA, but this seems to go to a level that you can't use props at all. It can't be that insane, right? Everything is designed by someone.

I think you're fine - we didn't license the garden gnomes in Surviving Family, and I had a legal/clearance review of the script before we shot it. :)

Thank! I was hoping you'd answer my gnomish question in here :)
Should make it much easier on me tomorrow morning as I decorate.

I don't know how the law works in the USA, but this seems to go to a level that you can't use props at all. It can't be that insane, right? Everything is designed by someone.

I didn't think so.. but it was so easy to ask. Thank goodness it isn't how the law works!

Last edited:
Realistically, you don't even have to worry about most of this.

Filmmakers just take the extra step of leaving all trademarked logos and images out of their shots just in case a litigious brand decides to sue based on defamation and to maintain a good relationship with those companies.

Brands are merely avoided; Not as a rule, just as good business practice. The reason you see unbranded goods in TV shows is simply to maintain good relations with brands, avoid potential litigation, and to maintain the value of product placement. (if you owned Coca-Cola, you wouldn't want to pay extra to appear in a film that'll show every other brand for free)

Odds are you can show whatever you want without worrying about it. And as for props and figurines, you'll NEVER have to worry about those.

Art and movie posters are another issue, though. Copyrighted images could get you into trouble, but "Fair Use" is a defense that will most likely protect you, especially depending on your intended use, the effect you have on the copyrighted work's market, and the amount it's used. (in court, a judge would probably rule in your favor if these are just on the walls in the background)

Last edited:
Back