What's Stopping the Revolution?

Here's our conversation, thus far:
"I'm going to attempt to do something that's virtually impossible."
"You shouldn't do that, it's virtually impossible."
"Yeah, I know. But chasing the dream is really fun for me. Plus, it isn't literally impossible, it's just virtually impossible."
"You shouldn't do that, it's virtually impossible."
"Did you not just hear me? I said this is fun for me. And why do you keep reminding me of the odds? I know the odds. That's part of the fun."

1. That's not our conversation so far. Our conversation so far has essentially been:
"It's a golden age of cinema, how do I become part of Hollywood?"
"Becoming part of Hollywood is damn difficult (not virtually impossible!), here are some of the facts which need addressing ..."
"Damn you and damn the facts, I'm going to ignore both and make films the way I enjoy"
"Then you're turning a dream which is "damn difficult" to realise into a "virtually impossible" to realise dream"
"I don't care, that's the fun of it. Now be specific, how do I become part of Hollywood?"
"Huh, are you nuts?"

2. You are not "chasing the dream", you are playing at/pretending to chase the dream, you are dreaming of chasing the dream!! You are deliberately avoiding those things necessary to actually chase the dream, you're either deluding yourself and/or trying to delude everyone reading your posts. The dream you're actually chasing is to become a skilled/talented hobbyist filmmaker. You then apparently have the really impossible additional dream of a revolution in which Hollywood ends up prizing hobbyist films above professional/commercial films.

Wow. You're something else, dude. I'm floored, I literally don't know how to react to this other than with laughter. Jesus Christ, why do you hate me so much?

I don't hate you at all. I'm just annoyed that you are (apparently deliberately) trying to perpetuate a belief in the myth, a belief which destroys "the dream" for so many. You're free to do and believe whatever you want, if you want to be a hobbyist filmmaker that's entirely up to you and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. I just object to you using semantics to make out you're "chasing the dream", it's demeaning to those who really are chasing the dream and highly misleading to those who aspire to!

G

1. That's not our conversation so far. Our conversation so far has essentially been:
"It's a golden age of cinema, how do I become part of Hollywood?"
"Becoming part of Hollywood is damn difficult (not virtually impossible!), here are some of the facts which need addressing ..."
"Damn you and damn the facts, I'm going to ignore both and make films the way I enjoy"
"Then you're turning a dream which is "damn difficult" to realise into a "virtually impossible" to realise dream"
"I don't care, that's the fun of it. Now be specific, how do I become part of Hollywood?"
"Huh, are you nuts?"

2. You are not "chasing the dream", you are playing at/pretending to chase the dream, you are dreaming of chasing the dream!! You are deliberately avoiding those things necessary to actually chase the dream, you're either deluding yourself and/or trying to delude everyone reading your posts. The dream you're actually chasing is to become a skilled/talented hobbyist filmmaker. You then apparently have the really impossible additional dream of a revolution in which Hollywood ends up prizing hobbyist films above professional/commercial films.

I don't hate you at all. I'm just annoyed that you are (apparently deliberately) trying to perpetuate a belief in the myth, a belief which destroys "the dream" for so many. You're free to do and believe whatever you want, if you want to be a hobbyist filmmaker that's entirely up to you and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. I just object to you using semantics to make out you're "chasing the dream", it's demeaning to those who really are chasing the dream and highly misleading to those who aspire to!

G

Wow, you chose this thread to comment in, when there's another much bigger one, addressing the same issues? It's high-noon, bruh! The ultimate showdown between you and I is now.

Let's keep things in their appropriate threads. From hence forth, your haterism will only be addressed in the thread I just directed you to. Any time you hate on me in any thread other than the one in which I've literally invited you to hate on me, I will make document of your hateration, in that thread.

I'm shutting your haterism down. It's done. I don't need to be an admin to do that.

:lol: Nice imagery.

True. I have a 19-page screenplay that begins with this exact imagery. Not kidding. I meant to produce it about 8 years ago but my lead actress pulled-out, 15-minutes before call-time, because she suddenly found morals (the script has lots of very low-brow humor). The production was ruined. I fell so hard into filmmaker-depression that I officially made the decision to quit. In my heart and mind, I officially was no longer a filmmaker.

That decision lasted about 15 minutes. The pendulum swung in the opposite direction, hard. By the end of the day, I had decided that I was going to make a feature film, on whatever tiny budget I could muster. By the end of the day, I also had the entire story mapped out for said feature. Not the finer details, but the general concept.

Funny how history repeats itself. Sometimes I consider rewriting and picking back up the production of the failed short that never made it to production. It's called "The Joy", and it opens with a flaming bag of poop. I'm not making any of this up.

Kismet!

I have visions of the flaming bag of poop being stomped on, but can't remember the film. As for door knocking gags, nothing beats the visitation of Otto's repo co-workers to his old grocery store boss' house.

I have visions of the flaming bag of poop being stomped on, but can't remember the film. As for door knocking gags, nothing beats the visitation of Otto's repo co-workers to his old grocery store boss' house.

I could be remembering wrong, but didn't Ferris Bueller's Day Off include a flaming bag of poop?

Back