View Full Version : Talking Dead - Winner!

dylan61
11-01-2005, 01:13 AM
Here's the entry with a credits page...

www.fulvew.com/talkingdead

Spatula
11-01-2005, 01:16 AM
Ok.. I need to know- did you shoot this on film?

How do you get your image quality?

Amazing job, by and by- this film has such a clean look... every aspect is top notch!

DirectorX
11-01-2005, 01:19 AM
Great job. Very well executed.

dylan61
11-01-2005, 01:24 AM
This was shot by my amazing director of photography, producer and partner, Keith Golinski on our XL-2/mini DV.

Spatula
11-01-2005, 01:26 AM
Well, Dylan- the photography was amazing in this film. Quite impressed with the production values. What do you edit on?

Zensteve
11-01-2005, 01:28 AM
I'm clicking on the part that says "Click To View Movie"... but no movie cometh forth. :no:

Do you have a direct link?

dylan61
11-01-2005, 01:47 AM
Try this?

http://www.fulvew.com/talkingdead/talkingdead2.mp4

That's a direct link to the file. I'm having problems pulling up a few of the movies. Does being on a Mac make a difference for any of these? I have Windows Media Viewer for Mac and was able to see about half of the movies.

We edit on Final Cut Pro 5.

Zensteve
11-01-2005, 02:38 AM
Holy :censored:

You did that in six weeks, start to finish? http://www.stevenrichards.com/images/smiley_mono.gif

How did you get such great sound?

_______

Was like a condensed version of Tales From The Crypt. Good stuff. :cool:

Boz Uriel
11-01-2005, 02:49 AM
Very nicely done you guys.

knightly
11-01-2005, 09:56 AM
mp4's with the extension mp4 sometimes don't cooperate and download as text to the browser window. If you download it (right click save as...-windows or option click -mac). You can view it from your desktop. Mine (OSX) comes down with a .txt appended, I remove that and it works just fine.

dylan61
11-01-2005, 10:43 AM
We actually shot this on October 15th. We had a few really good days of pre-production. We edited over the next two weeks with a pickup scene shot on Oct. 19th. It was a pretty quick turnaround. We also were very lucky that we had such a great crew working for us. The sound was done by Jean-Yves Munch, and he's amazing at what he does.

Thanks everyone for the kind feedback. I finally got everyone's to work. There's some really good stuff that was submitted.

Terrasolo
11-01-2005, 01:34 PM
Wow.... wow.

Brilliant looking film, very professional and a great story.

Nicely Done.

EddieLeonardo
11-01-2005, 02:19 PM
I have agree, this is kind of filmmaking that inspires. Great shooting, acting, effects, plotline, ending. Very nice indeed.

tortilla
11-01-2005, 08:29 PM
The quality of this movie is incredible. Props to your talent & crew!

GirlsGripToo
11-01-2005, 09:06 PM
As others have said, there is something about this film that sets it apart. The props are really cool. The service elevator, the old fashioned wheel chair and not to mention that machine! I can tell there was a lot of thought and preparation put into this film that makes it work. It is believable and entirely creepy.

Well done.

CootDog
11-01-2005, 10:02 PM
I have to ask, Where did you shoot this? and how were you able to get a hospital?

dylan61
11-01-2005, 11:56 PM
The elevator and basement were shot in the building that our office is in. The hospital hallway was shot in the Health Sciences building of the University I graduated from. You'd think it would be easy, considering I'm alumni, but they tried to fight us a little. I guess the challenges are part of what we all love about it.

indietalk
11-02-2005, 12:37 AM
Can't view it. Gotta link?

dylan61
11-02-2005, 12:50 AM
Try this:

http://www.fulvew.com/talkingdead/talkingdead2.mp4

SteadySam
11-02-2005, 10:16 AM
Holy Cow!

Great Job...

dylan61
11-02-2005, 02:36 PM
So, there's been a couple problems for people when they try to view this. Please let me know if you can't view our movie for whatever reasons.

bird
11-02-2005, 05:05 PM
Hi Dylan61, I loaded your piece, but can't view it. I'm a ma-roon when it comes to these things, so here's my dumb question. In WMP and Quicktime it says it doesn't recognize the codec, do I need to load a new audio codec for this?

John@Bophe
11-02-2005, 05:13 PM
Bird -- This format works best with QuickTime. I have version 6.5 of QT and it plays fine. You may have to open Quicktime first, then open this file to play it.

bird
11-02-2005, 05:33 PM
Thanks John. Just tried it again and all I get is "Couldn't open the file 'talkingdead2.mp4' because it is not a file that Quicktime understands".

indietalk
11-02-2005, 05:34 PM
Bird, update your QT.

dylan61
11-02-2005, 05:34 PM
What version of Quicktime are you using?

bird
11-02-2005, 05:51 PM
Yes, I do have to load the latest version of QT...hmmmm, 4 hours and 15 minutes...arrggghhhh. :D

Spatula
11-02-2005, 11:08 PM
Bird- you're a super-fan... I think you've clocked at least 20 hours of time watching these entries! Kudos!

bird
11-02-2005, 11:23 PM
:tear: Finally, someone who appreciates me...'cause my momma don't.

dylan61
11-03-2005, 12:15 AM
Bird,

I feel really bad if you went through all the time to download our movie and then it didn't work. Did it work yet? Is there anything I can do?

bird
11-03-2005, 09:17 AM
Hey Dylan61,

I'm the forum whiner:D...I just have to load a new version of QT (which I will start just as I leave for work tonight), then I should be able to view your piece, can't wait considering the great reviews your getting!

Charles@Bophe
11-03-2005, 02:56 PM
I agree with all of the previous posts about the quality, production, (the fact that it's an inspiring piece of work), etc., but what held my attention was your set! I was enthralled the moment that elevator started moving. The basement looked amazing, and you did wonderful work with that corpse! Very eye-catching with a strong visual impact. Everything was captured very nicely. Thanks for sharing!

shawnmelton
11-04-2005, 10:52 AM
Just posted a .MOV version of the flick.
The .MP4 version seems to be giving people problems.

See it here...
http://www.fulvew.com/talkingdead/talkingdead2.mov

Shawn.

cibao
11-04-2005, 12:00 PM
Great job...can't add much more than the others, but I do have a suggestion...I want to see it as a feature!! Too many questions that I want to ask about!

Chris

dylan61
11-05-2005, 07:19 PM
I want to see it as a feature!! Too many questions that I want to ask about!

Hopefully some rich guy will feel like seeing a feature as well. Although, the feature we make most likely won't have anything to do with this story. Anyway, what kind of questions do you have?...Keeping in mind, this story is purposely open ended.

cibao
11-05-2005, 07:47 PM
Well now that you mention it...I've got a twenty here with your name on it...give me two weeks, and I MIGHT have another five!! You can start casting right away!!:lol:

The questions I have are all about the lead in...why, how and how long. Nothing that can be answered until you write the prequel!!

Chris

dylan61
11-05-2005, 07:53 PM
Send donations to:
FULVEW PRODUCTIONS
7 Ionia Suite 300
Grand Rapids, MI 49503
:yes:
Every little bit helps.

bird
11-10-2005, 09:40 AM
I'm glad I was able to view your piece. I second everything mentioned above. Text book example of classic composition, cutting, narrative. Nuanced sound and effects made it even creepier. Well done!

dylan61
11-13-2005, 02:26 PM
I will be withdrawing "Talking Dead" from the competition. I'll write more in the ITOOFC thread. Thanks to everyone who honestly voted for us and gave us honest feedback. We really do appreciate it. Unfortunately, the internet does allow for a lot of dishonesty although I couldn't be more honest in saying that we didn't intentionally try to be this way. Again, I'm sorry if it appears that we did.

indietalk
11-13-2005, 02:27 PM
I will be withdrawing "Talking Dead" from the competition. I'll write more in the ITOOFC thread. Thanks to everyone who honestly voted for us and gave us honest feedback. We really do appreciate it. Unfortunately, the internet does allow for a lot of dishonesty although I couldn't be more honest in saying that we didn't intentionally try to be this way. Again, I'm sorry if it appears that we did.
The poll is already closed for all films, and no one is being blamed, it's simply a management decision, but you are welcome to stay in the jury competition. Please let me know.

dylan61
11-13-2005, 02:51 PM
We'll stay in the judges competition. I just feel really bad about the way it all ended up looking. We want to take this film on to some film festivals and show it in many other venues. We don't want "bad vibes" surrounding it. I feel really bad for all the other entries that have had to watch all this crap go down. I guess since the people's choice has been closed, there's no reason not to see this through. Thanks to indietalk for trying to keep the integrity of this competition.

indietalk
11-13-2005, 02:56 PM
Great. :) Let's all move on and concentrate on the great films we have in this comp.

FilmJumper
11-13-2005, 09:03 PM
:tear: Finally, someone who appreciates me...'cause my momma don't.
Every last one of us...

filmy
:cool:

killedatschool
11-14-2005, 01:51 AM
That was freaking sweet. Very Tales From the Crypt. I especially liked the photography. You said you shot on the Xl2. Did you use the frame mode? Or was most of that done in post?

liquidrogue
11-14-2005, 07:48 AM
we shot 24p 2:3:3:2 and edited on a 24 frame timeline. I like the results. We also used the factory standard lens that came with it. We got really lucky with focus pulls, which is a huge downfall of the lens system. We also wanted to use a smoke machine for the entire shoot except for the hospital stuff to soften the background and any hard lines. We ended up with a hazer instead and I will definitely use it again. It lays out a mist and hangs longer than a smoke machine. I'm glad you liked the film. We're working on making more.

Thanks again for watching

-Keith Golinski
DP/Editor
Talking Dead

aegriffin
11-14-2005, 11:22 AM
Howdy fellas,
Showed this at our quarterly Bad Movie Society (http://www.badmoviesociety.com) meeting this past weekend and the crowd went wild with excitement over it. Great work!
AEG

captain
11-14-2005, 11:23 AM
ITs all good ..great to see such good quality ..As many of you know im unable to get high speed at wreck-beach ..Im at the Local future shop using their highspeed puters to watch the films...I havea few more to go yey ,,Great job Bird ,,thats a lot of downloading arghh Matey arghh...

Spatula
11-14-2005, 11:31 AM
Remember to leave all the films open on the desktop when you leave, Capt! :P
Good exposure!

Eddie Rex
11-28-2005, 05:18 PM
What a creepy film!!!

Excellent storyline, picture quality, sound and photography. Well done!
Where did you get the dead body from?

dylan61
11-28-2005, 05:45 PM
The dead body was played by a talented actress named Nadyne Parr. We've had some people who have said they look really closely at her, trying to see her chest or eyes move, but they don't see it. We're really greatful that she could pull that off. It wasn't easy.

We have entered the film into about 4 festivals so far, all in Michigan. We're compiling a list of festivals we want to enter outside of Michigan right now. Not much of a budget for festival entries and attendance, so we're weighing our options.

Eddie Rex
11-28-2005, 06:05 PM
We have a short film festival here in Hull (UK) so check out www.hullfilm.co.uk or www.leedsfilm.com

CootDog
11-28-2005, 06:26 PM
Yea man when she looks at the cam at the end... it's unexpected but really cool...

Check out SonnyBoo's list of free festivals. I'd enter all of them and maybe even the TV stations too. I believe it's in the Festivals section.

Loud Orange Cat
11-28-2005, 06:56 PM
I must admit, Talking Dead was one of the most stunning entries in years.

Is there a fullscreen (720x480 H.264) version available for download? If not, why? :lol: (PLEASE?!)

FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC JOB!

dylan61
11-29-2005, 05:11 PM
Our actual "festival cut" has another 40 seconds of movie time and 1:20 of credits. We also have made a special edition DVD that has some cool little extra features. If you want, I can send DVDs to interested people. We'll need to charge you a little to recoup just the cost. I think that would be about $5 a DVD plus shipping. PM me if you're interested. Otherwise, I'll work on getting a fully downloadable, big huge file on the internet somewhere that you could spend about a half hour downloading. For Bird, that would be about 6 and half days.

Loud Orange Cat
11-29-2005, 05:30 PM
I'll work on getting a fully downloadable, big huge file on the internet somewhere that you could spend about a half hour downloading.You can get it hosted free at http://archive.org

CootDog
11-29-2005, 05:50 PM
I can host it for you! I hosted the original TalkingDead since everyone was having problems, so I put it on one of my servers... I have the room, that's not a problem.

Let me know, I can give you your own account (ftp) if you'd like?

dylan61
12-21-2005, 04:56 PM
The full length version of Talking Dead is now online with a whole 50 seconds of never before seen footage. Good luck picking it out. Also, there's some credits actually at the end of the movie with some of the original music that you wouldn't have heard in the shorter, competition version. You need flash 8 to view it. Here's the link:

www.fulvew.com/talkingdead

You can also link to it through our site at www.fulvew.com on the projects page.

We're working on some nice DVDs, packaging and all, for people who have expressed interest.

CootDog
12-21-2005, 05:32 PM
Awesome! And yes, I'd like to be one of those interested parties for the purchase of the DVD...

If you still need some webspace let me know.

dylan61
12-21-2005, 07:00 PM
Thanks CootDog. I think we're going to use that store the Indietalk set up. That looks like a great resource.

CurtisCandy
12-21-2005, 09:24 PM
Well, rock me to sleep tonight!

Nicely done! - Great feel!

Congratulations.

jbrndee
05-30-2006, 12:40 AM
Excellent film. Great lighting! The XL-2 is amazing.

CootDog
05-30-2006, 07:16 AM
Have you gone through any festivals?

What was the result?

I know this will win many awards! I should say, I know this will win mane MORE awards!

I just watched the extended version. A couple of things I noticed, maybe they were in there before but these things were really cool.

The down shot above the elevator. Really cool! But when you look at her on the table with the monitor and the clock. The clock is going crazy. It was so quick. I was like "Did I just see something?" Then I rewound it and did see the clock "spinning" nice!:yes:

dylan61
05-30-2006, 08:27 AM
We've been in a few festivals. The only awards so far were the one here and one at the Chicago Really Short Film Festival (Image Union award). Aparently the short will show on the Image Union show in Chicago sometime in the fall. We entered 4 more horror/thriller film fesivals that take place in September and October so we'll see what happens there. Thanks for the kind feedback. Nice to know people are still watching it.

Carloled
08-21-2006, 05:10 AM
This was creepy! And I usually dont get creeped out easily. Very well done, it reminds me of a Roald Dahl short story about an inventor who invents a device that can hear what plants are saying.