• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch The Scream of the Screaming Screamer!

Originally posted on this thread...
http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=35681

Edvard Munch's masterpiece is in the news again and on the auction block.

the_scream_custom.jpg

It's even been rendered in inflatable plastic by entrepreneur Robert Fishbone.

on NPR
http://www.npr.org/2012/05/02/151706441/scream-still-echoes-after-more-than-a-century

The Scream of the Screaming Screamer!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Cedq1t52bA​

with German subtitles: Schreie die Nicht Enden Wollen!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Cedq1t52bA

Website
http://thescreamofthescreamingscreamer.info

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Ha ha ha! Nice job. I like the girl - she has this Ashley Judd type of thing going on. You've also connected with a really good composer; I'm a fan of his ever since the Snail video!

Thanks for the kind words about the music! The Scream is one of my favorite things that I've worked on, and it's been getting a pretty decent festival run!

Maybe not yet making the money for Flicker to put a bid in on the Scream auction, but YOU NEVER KNOW!!!!

The music rocks!

I'm just thankful that inspiration struck (for MidKnightly's contest) and we were able to soldier through the whirlwind process and end up with something fun (along with the other films.) Because if there was no contest, there wouldn't have been a movie, so it's nice how those things work out! :)

With the gross from this film I couldn't even buy a wallet size photo of this version!
images

Wait... but I could print a copy of it... hmmmmm...

Thanks for the kind words about the music! The Scream is one of my favorite things that I've worked on, and it's been getting a pretty decent festival run!

Great hairy apes!! I just made the connection that JoshL, the Indietalk member, is also Josh Loughrey, the composer! Hello, there.

Being a soundtrack junkie and fellow composer, I notice when someone has a timing for cinema. That's different than just being able to come up with pretty music and you have that gift, my friend.

I also heard an Access Virus on the first Snail video. I love that synth.

The music rocks!

Even moreso, is the collaboration that seems to be working. Spielberg has Williams, Cameron has Horner, Nolan has Zimmer, etc, etc. Great filmmakers need great composers. I think you and Loughrey click well together.

I'm just thankful that inspiration struck (for MidKnightly's contest) and we were able to soldier through the whirlwind process and end up with something fun (along with the other films.) Because if there was no contest, there wouldn't have been a movie

Jeff, you've just touched upon something I have been thinking a lot about. Competiton motivates! I just concluded my 5th 48 Hour Film (have yet to hear about the results) and had 3 other shorts in UNLV's Spring Flicks fest. (In addition to working with wheatgrinder on another, that same week!) Competition shows you where you stand. It motivates you to be better and to think hard about your choices.

I'm always amazed at how good some festival movies are, especially when cash prizes are involved. People who say that awards don't mean anything are either creative geniuses who have made it or those who know they don't have a chance to win. Whenever I think I'm hot shit, I go to one of these festivals and get put in my place by someone better. Just like any good movie protagonist (Karate Kid, etc.) getting my ass kicked really motivates me to figure out how to up my game. Competition often spawns greatness.

Yep, JoshL = Josh Loughrey ;) I couldn't have been happier with the results for TSOTSS. He also composed the music for the short doc Sheryl's Keyosk, which came out great.

I agree about the contests and challenges and peer-to-peer collaborations. Same with Mixed Messages. If it weren't for Wheatgrinder's challenge, there most likely wouldn't have been a film. Maybe I need to think about doing a 48 hour contest or something along those lines.

Deadlines DO motivate and I probably could use more of them in my life at the moment.

I'm with you. When I see good work out there it does inspire me to push myself and raise the stakes to make something on par or even better. The content of every film may not interest me, but the techniques involved and the creativity behind them often get my gears turning! :)

Great hairy apes!! I just made the connection that JoshL, the Indietalk member, is also Josh Loughrey, the composer! Hello, there.

Being a soundtrack junkie and fellow composer, I notice when someone has a timing for cinema. That's different than just being able to come up with pretty music and you have that gift, my friend.

Again, thanks for the kind words! I'm learning, and getting better, I think. I agree with you about the difference between a good composer, and a good film composer. It's a challenging art, and an entirely different skillset to learn. I've tried to study the work of others pretty closely; see what works, what doesn't (in addition to basic theory study, etc). The one thing I've found a challenge and am trying to get a good handle on is when NOT to compose. Silence is good and can be very effective, doubly so if the sound designer is good.

I also heard an Access Virus on the first Snail video. I love that synth.

Well spotted! It's my go-to synth these days, having recently upgraded from a B to a TI. My only complaint is voice drop when using "expensive" effects...love the reverb, but can't use it live or it'll drop half my notes. Not a problem doing scores though! All the theremin sounds on the Scream are also the Virus. It's a great tool, and always a blast to play!

Deadlines and specific project inspiration are always good. Jeff, you DO have to do a 48. They're tons of fun. It's not so much the competition for me (Pittsburgh doesn't even give out a music prize), but the motivation to work as fast as you can, and as best as you can. I've done it the past three years and have seen a dramatic increase in the quality and speed of my work each year. At the screenings I take notes; I try to learn at least one thing from every film I see.

Well spotted! It's my go-to synth these days, having recently upgraded from a B to a TI. My only complaint is voice drop when using "expensive" effects...love the reverb, but can't use it live or it'll drop half my notes. Not a problem doing scores though! All the theremin sounds on the Scream are also the Virus. It's a great tool, and always a blast to play!

I know what you mean. Similarly, I upgraded from the C to the TI. I recently went through the 7000 programs available on the site and burned my faves into 9 new ROM banks. In fact, I used a lot of them on BUG COMPLEX. I only had about 3 hours to do the score, since it was a 48 HFP.

OS 5 is due out, anytime. It adds 2 more envelopes and more filter options in the FX section.

Last edited:
Wait until we start talking about using the Arp output to modulate oscillator PWM depth!

Yeah, electronic musicians are by definition pretty geeky. Once you say things like "NRPN programming" everyone's eyes just glaze over...

To that end, are you using the TI's vst interface? It's taken a bit of getting used to, but for patch management it's fantastic. I've recently started creating a new bank for every project, and dumping all the patches I use/develop into it, so I can pull up the same patches later on (with individual tweaks) for a different cue. The "infinite banks" nature of it makes it a little intimidating to browse patches, but on the other hand, gives you fantastic organizational tools, and being able to have two patch windows makes it easy to drag and drop. Also nice not having to overwrite a preset for every little tweak, or use automation because you want the filter two ticks below where you usually like it.

Back on topic, $120 million. Not too bad for such an iconic image! Too bad they don't sell like that when the artist is still alive....

:lol:

Oh by all means, geek away! I actually *used* to know a tiny bit about electronic synths from the late 80s and very early 90s, but that's as far as I got with it.

What you guys are able to create with patches and plug-ins blows my brains.

And all this time I thought you were using a real Theremin. :tear:

I wish! A good theremin isn't cheap, and a cheap one is barely playable. My skills with one are sub-par anyway (though I can do okay using the "marked yardstick" technique). But, hey, points to my synth patch programming techniques if you thought it was real ;)

But most of the odd instrumentation on Sheryl's Keyosk was real! And I've been brushing up on my hammered dulcimer skills for my current (and future) projects!

:yes:

Dang... Now I'll have to come up with a project for that sound. Big fan of the dulcimer!

:)

It's good stuff! Dead Can Dance was no small influence on me. Play lap dulcimer too, and was considering bringing the hammered dulcimer into Ghost Estate. But tuning is a pain, and I'm already tuning a 12 string, in addition to a 6 and the lap dulcimer. However, I've also been practicing one hammer on the lap dulcimer, to get the percussive melodic sound, and to be able to do those rolling trills.

What I REALLY want is a hurdy gurdy, but again, very expensive to get a good one.

:lol:

Oh by all means, geek away!

Your movie and Josh's music deserve some serious thread "bumping!"

are you using the TI's vst interface? It's taken a bit of getting used to, but for patch management it's fantastic. I've recently started creating a new bank for every project, and dumping all the patches I use/develop into it, so I can pull up the same patches later on (with individual tweaks) for a different cue.

I just use the computer for bringing in new patches and organizing the TI. I don't use a DAW; I'm still a dinosaur living in total hardware land. I recently took this pic and I like it. I hope you don't mind me posting it.

527358_10151476622505494_603930493_23731144_2010816682_n.jpg

Yeah, that's posed. I actually keep some of those synths in the garage studio, so it's not all tight like that. For what it's worth, I haven't bought anything since the TI, back in 2007. All that stuff is older, but I have 100s of songs and sounds that reside in their libraries.

For each project, I find about 30 sounds that I like and put them into Combis or Multis. You can reprogram them and it doesn't affect the original patch, so that works enough for me. I rarely sequence a TI Multi, since it is such a polyphony hog. I just use the Multis as a place holder (and for new edits) and record the patches to audio tracks.

Very nice shot! Looks like you've got most of the bases covered there (I've been drooling over the Oasys for a while, but way out of my budget. Been running a Karma myself)! Your collection has me beat by a long stretch, though I've had some neat gear pass through my hands. I've debated a Fantom for a while; I miss the effects section of my 909, but the XL7 I traded for is a much better live sequencer.

It's taken a while before I ended up DAW-wise (started as a noise artist; if I couldn't do it live from scratch, it didn't count), but I started as a guitarist, so my keyboard skills are not as great as my compositional skills. Improving though! My advantage/disadvantage is I want to do EVERYTHING. So I can do a bit of everything, but nothing all that great.

Moral of the story, if I ever can make it out to IndieMeet, we will have to jam! Live indie film score (ever hear Faust's improv take on Nosferatu? Amazing stuff)!

I've been drooling over the Oasys for a while, but way out of my budget. Been running a Karma myself)!

I made the Unofficial DVD for the OASYS.

Tutorialcover.jpg

I recommend a Kronos 61 for about $2,500. It does even more than the OASYS! You would go nuts with its endless possibilities and it doesn't compete with your TI, each unit has their own personality. I pretty much just use those two for everything, now.

62906_hr3.jpg

Moral of the story, if I ever can make it out to IndieMeet, we will have to jam! Live indie film score (ever hear Faust's improv take on Nosferatu? Amazing stuff)!

Aw, dude! While I suck as a live performer, this would be a lot of fun. I've been debating the live indie score, for a while. I would love to meet you; I like your movie sensibility.

Back