• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch First Attempt at a remix

Had my brother mix audio from my first 2 youtube videos and put it to a beat. this is my attempt to edit the footage to go along with the song. (and i realize there are a few mistakes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx0bW49cFC4

Okay,

Critique on music remix:

Wayyyy to roomy on the voices in the beginning. It sounds like this was recorded with an H2 or wide pattern condenser mic in a very reverberant room like a kitchen or linoleum floored, bare-walled area. I'd record the dialogue in a very cluttered room with a lot of carpet wall to wall, a bunch of cushions on the sofa and cushioned chairs, etc. The voices also sound extremely thin and over-limited. I'd notch a generous amount of 2K to 5K out of them, boost around 100-300 with a large bell, and also possibly notch the dirtiness around 10K. Do you know what mixing has been done to them?

Get the beat in and louder faster. It gradually fades up - make it grab you, in really emphatically.

Some of the dialogue is extremely distorted. I'm not sure if this was intentional or not (like a Gorillaz' album).

The repeats get quite repetitive sometimes.

The music mix:

It's very mono. Pretty much the only thing that is stereo is the acoustic guitar. It's also quite repetitive as well. Is there a way to spice it up with a bit of a guitar solo or dropping a beat or adding something in? I'd keep the bass and kick in the middle, pan the snare/claps to the left to about 15 (out of 100) and sent the shaker all the way left or right and the guitars panned equally 50/50 left and right. Did you record the instruments yourself? Are they live or loops?

I'd add a bit of verb to the voices, like a nice medium warm room with a decay of about .8 seconds on it and a pre-delay of about 60+ milliseconds.

Cool concept. I think you did put it together well.

Okay,

Critique on music remix:

Wayyyy to roomy on the voices in the beginning. It sounds like this was recorded with an H2 or wide pattern condenser mic in a very reverberant room like a kitchen or linoleum floored, bare-walled area. I'd record the dialogue in a very cluttered room with a lot of carpet wall to wall, a bunch of cushions on the sofa and cushioned chairs, etc. The voices also sound extremely thin and over-limited. I'd notch a generous amount of 2K to 5K out of them, boost around 100-300 with a large bell, and also possibly notch the dirtiness around 10K. Do you know what mixing has been done to them?

Get the beat in and louder faster. It gradually fades up - make it grab you, in really emphatically.

Some of the dialogue is extremely distorted. I'm not sure if this was intentional or not (like a Gorillaz' album).

The repeats get quite repetitive sometimes.

The music mix:

It's very mono. Pretty much the only thing that is stereo is the acoustic guitar. It's also quite repetitive as well. Is there a way to spice it up with a bit of a guitar solo or dropping a beat or adding something in? I'd keep the bass and kick in the middle, pan the snare/claps to the left to about 15 (out of 100) and sent the shaker all the way left or right and the guitars panned equally 50/50 left and right. Did you record the instruments yourself? Are they live or loops?

I'd add a bit of verb to the voices, like a nice medium warm room with a decay of about .8 seconds on it and a pre-delay of about 60+ milliseconds.

Cool concept. I think you did put it together well.

thanks a lot. this is really helpful. I didn't do the sound mixing (my brother did) so i honestly don't really understand a lot of wut ur talking about.(2k, 10k, dirtiness, large bell, overlimited seem like foriegn terms to me) but wut i do understand makes a lot of sense. but i'm definitely going to pass this critique along to my brother and see if ur speaking his language. thanks again.

Oh, heh, sorry.

Let me clear up some things for you:

2K is a frequency in audio which you can manipulate with an Equalizer (a piece of audio equipment that turns up or down those certain frequencies). A bell is one of the parameters you can use on the EQ - it looks like a Bell curve which is why it's called a bell, like a bell you ring in a church. Dirtiness is the quality of the sound that makes it sound harsh and scratchy in the high end up there around 10K (audio frequency). Overlimited means the person put way too much compression/limiting on an element of the soundtrack so it sounds like it's pumping and overall just cheap quality (like auto-gain does to sound in a camera).

Oh, heh, sorry.

Let me clear up some things for you:

2K is a frequency in audio which you can manipulate with an Equalizer (a piece of audio equipment that turns up or down those certain frequencies). A bell is one of the parameters you can use on the EQ - it looks like a Bell curve which is why it's called a bell, like a bell you ring in a church. Dirtiness is the quality of the sound that makes it sound harsh and scratchy in the high end up there around 10K (audio frequency). Overlimited means the person put way too much compression/limiting on an element of the soundtrack so it sounds like it's pumping and overall just cheap quality (like auto-gain does to sound in a camera).

Why aren't you a mod yet? :P

@Intergage heh naw they wouldn't want me :P

Besides, I just like helping people on here.

It's kind of like community service for me.

Back