• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

Lights Film School

In 2008 a thread was open about this online school (Lights FIlm School) topic but was not followed. Recently I found thier site and was wondering if they really teach what the offer and if they are not a fishing site.

I am really interested in online courses and this one is the first in my list.

The other one is Film School Direct and I just found Better Film, they offer On-Line classes too.

The thing is that I wrote to the first two schools and at this moment I have not received an answer. I am not sure if they are real. At least, the first one has a channel in youtube and a lot of subscriptions, more than 200. May be I'll go with them.

Anyone who can guide me in this quest, is welcome.

Thanks to everyone.

Can you link to the original thread here, btw?

I just looked them up, and there's no way I'd pony up $300 for an "online film school" with a curiculum that sounds like it's a modified version of Adobe's Peachpit Press teach-yourself book/disc combos. (for $30)

Once you've completed the course you will be mailed a personalized 8x10 course completion certificate.

Well...
smiley_toot.gif

In my opinion, I'd tell them to get bent... just from what I briefly read from their website.

Why are you interetsed in online courses, and what are you looking to learn about in particular?

Thank You

Thank you Zensteve for the advise.

This is the first and only thread I found in promotion so I posted here too. I do not want to break the forum's rules and I was not sure where to post. I am new in this forum and it will take time for me to learn.

http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=12992&highlight=film+school

I think hat I will rent individual instructional videos. It is my other choice.

I need to learn a lot about filmmaking. I know a litle bit about editing but I have not studied it. I do it by heart. I know it is not the proper way, but this began as a hobby, now I think it could be profitable. So I need to do it right. Actually I edit home videos for other people, but my goal have not been reached yet.

I am not good at the camera, and I love to take videos. So I think I need to learn more about that, about all the proceses and stages involved in filmmaking. I need some structure for my work, some guidelines.

I have learned about the 180 rule and recently about the rule of the thirds and other things, but I need practice and I need critics. For me feedback is very important. it helps me grow.

Thanks Zensteve for your help. It is appreciated.

Last edited:
While it wont help for the production phase of making a film, once you get to post production there's a whole lot of great classes offered through fxphd... most of it is centered around visual effects work, but there are classes on editing and whatnot. Definitely worth a look, and when you figure the amount of information you get for the cost it's incredibly cheap.

If you're looking into that training dvd service I linked the other day, definitely check out the Hollywood Camera work stuff, or better yet, if you can afford it, it's definitely worth the price... Check out the Master Class.

Since it would be good to be able to reference it, purchase would probably be a better investment than renting, but it depends on your budget of course. I don't have any affiliation so it doesn't matter to me which option you choose.. but I think you'd be hard pressed to find a more informative series of videos on camera work.

I looked into the Lights Film School a year or two ago and decided against it having not been able to find anything outside of their own website talking about whether it was worthwhile or not.

WOW!

I appreciate the precious information you gave me, I really do. I was in doubt, I was unable to make a decision but the facts you gave me, helped me to clear my mind.

I am in a better position now and have more choices. It is really important for me to accomplish this goal. It is something that I wanted all my life and because of diferent factors, I could not realize until now.

Once again, Mr. Vincent and Mr. Zensteve, thanks.

Back