Kodachrome S8 officially done

Well, it was supposed to happen in December of 2010 but last minute rushes kept it going a few extra weeks:

(Dwayne's) received "a tsunami of film" after announcing it would stop processing Kodachrome at the end of 2010.

The Kansas City Star reported that the stop date for processing the film has been postponed to Monday or Tuesday at the earliest.

Business has been so hectic that for a time, processing went on 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Source:
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2011/01/09/business/AP-US-Kodachromes-Last-Gasps.html

I 'spose you could overnight something there on Monday, but that's about it. Dwayne's was the last place on the planet to develop the small-gauge format, after Kodak stopped manufacturing the S8-size K-40 cartridges several years back.

I still have 4 unexposed carts in the fridge. Le sigh. (The project they were intended for mutated into something bigger).

Adios, K-40 Super-8 :cool:

I grew up with digi so I don't see the impact of this, but I'm sure it's a big deal to people who've been in film a while.

Is it just not worth the money to process this stuff any more? If they had the knowhow + integrity, could an Asian processing plant set up and make it cost effective? Or are there other factors involved apart from price?

I will miss this very distinct and unique film stock. It was hell on the environment, but sometimes it was worth it for these particular reds and blues in an impossible to emulate color pallette.

Is it just not worth the money to process this stuff any more? If they had the knowhow + integrity, could an Asian processing plant set up and make it cost effective? Or are there other factors involved apart from price?

Kodachrome 40 was a reversal film stock (meaning a "positive" and could be projected when developed without striking a print). It was also using certain dyes and chemicals that are extremely hazardous to dispose of.

I grew up with digi so I don't see the impact of this, but I'm sure it's a big deal to people who've been in film a while.

Really complicated processing that involved expensive chemicals that go bad whether used or not. Without a certain level of volume (same is true for all processes and labs) you lose money because you have to dump the chemicals without using them enough times to pay for them.

Thanks. I guessed it had something to do with complicated processing. I just couldn't figure out why they were stopping if they had so many orders. Heh.

Film stock, and the loving way directors and DP's talk about it, fascinates me...

I don't think film will ever really die. With all the advances coming out... who knows, in ten years or so there'll be a film resurgence and they'll work out ways to emulate or relaunch that stock using different chemicals...

Kodachrome 40 was a reversal film stock (meaning a "positive" and could be projected when developed without striking a print).

I can see how this'd be in demand.

They still make reversal film stocks, but Kodachrome 40 was unique of all the film stocks ever made. It was the primary Super 8 film stock for decades. Most people who viewed "home movies" shot on Super 8 or regular 8 could subconsciously recognize the look instantly. It had a very warm color temperature with deep, rich reds. You also needed a shit-ton of light to get an exposure since it was 40 ASA (hence the "40" in the name).

Kodak still makes Ektachrome 64 reversal for super 8 (and of course 16mm and 35mm), but that is not the same. Not even close.

Practically every Super8 camera on eBay has "Un-used film" included and the pictures always show Kodachrome. I'm talking about right now. Obviously they don't do their research before posting because those rolls are now useless.

Some day us young people will look back and remember the days when we used our favorite file format. Probably not. Everything is disposable these days. It's seems like nothing holds any kind of centimental value. Can anybody image the day when they go to an antique car show to see a restored 2000 Honda civic. Kinda funny to think about.

Back