Choosing a career.

I'm trying to choose a career and i really came here to ask questions for people who are film and video editors or audio and video equipment or camera operators,tv video and video picture.
What do you like most about your career?
What is hardest part of your career?
What do you wish you had known before going into this career?
What kind of person makes a good fit for this career?
What changes do you see in this career field in the next 5-10 years?

1: I myself have only had about a year and a half to 2 years of filmmaking experience. So far the best bit I like about filmmaking is storytelling. All about telling a story and you know this type of career isn’t just about making money.
If you really become passionate about filmmaking you start to realize it’s not all about the cash but that it’s actually about making a difference in the world. Cause films do make a difference to people’s lives.

2: Well it depends on your attitude. Filmmaking is all about solving problems, you have to make up a good story get equipment hire actors, actually making the thing in the first place wether it’s a short film or a feature can take years.
It all just depends on your commitment, if you just wanna make money out of it then yes. Down the road filmmaking can make you ALOT of money. But a lot of the time popular directors like Christopher Nolan, Steven Spielberg etc don’t make a living off filmmaking cause they focus only on the money. They succeeded because they actually have a huge passion for storytelling and like what they do.
The hardest part about filmmaking tho is probably the release, getting it into film competitions, releasing it online and making a profit is always the hardest part.
But if you have a passion for the actual storytelling and making the film, then in the end...it won’t actually seem “hard”.
More like a good challenge and nothing more.

3: Well I mean I’m not actually a big well known director or anything. And I’m not super knowledgeable I have a lot to learn myself. But I wish I knew more about sound design, camerawork, more about editing.
Like seriously just the more knowledge you have the better, just keep watching videos on YouTube maybe take some courses if you have the money.
And especially come onto online forums like this one for advice on your films.
In the end filmmaking really is about having fun, making a good story, making a difference in the world and just you know.
It’s amazing and if you stick to your guns you will get good pay.

4: Well I mean that’s up to you, really I mean.
If you think you have patience, if you like a good challenge, fixing issues and can be motivated to make a good story then yes it’s amazing. Along with the fact that you can save people’s lives with movies. The rewards can be great.

1: People can be motivated by your films
2: People are entertained you can make people smile, cry or laugh
3: If you stick to it eventually you will make a lot of money
4: You get to travel the world a lot to film different things
5: Meet new people make new friends and if your not that social it’s fine it’s still great

Traits which are useful:

1: Patience
2: Motivation
3: Passion
4: Trouble fixing
5: Curiosity

I mean filmmaking really helps you learn new things so it’s a great opportunity to have a good time.

5: This industry is only getting bigger and bigger

Films and movies are huge rn and people are thirsty for new original content to escape the harshness of life and the better story you have the more they will come back to your films.
I don’t see any way films or movies will fail.
In the end they are stories and stories have been about through all history, and will be here thousands, hundreds of thousands of years after our time.
So yea there is literally no need to worry that this career will “go dry” as such.
Stories are a bottomless bit of creativity and wonder.

Yea so I hope I helped :)

What kind of person makes a good fit for this career?[/TD]
Someone who doesn't mind working for peanuts unless and until they can get a job working for a big studio. A lucrative "career" as an editor is a long shot -- Like pursuing a career in music.

This thread reminds me of the guy (Eric Glatt) who gave up a $95,000 a year job at insurance company American International Group to pursue his dream of becoming a film editor. He found himself taking lunch orders, retrieving take-out, making coffee, cleaning the office kitchen, photocopying documents, compiling press clippings, assembling office furniture, booking flights and limousines for actors, checking scripts to make sure there are no missing pages, etc.

The guy took an editing course. The people teaching it even told him that the skills he had developed were not necessarily marketable.

On a side note, sitting and starring at a screen for many hours a day takes its toll on your health.

Last edited:
This thread reminds me of the guy (Eric Glatt) who gave up a $95,000 a year job at insurance company American International Group to pursue his dream of becoming a film editor. He found himself taking lunch orders, retrieving take-out, making coffee, cleaning the office kitchen, photocopying documents, compiling press clippings, assembling office furniture, booking flights and limousines for actors, checking scripts to make sure there are no missing pages, etc.

The guy took an editing course. The people teaching it even told him that the skills he had developed were not necessarily marketable.

On a side note, sitting and starring at a screen for many hours a day takes its toll on your health.

Well I mean when u dive into the film industry it’s not that great to think small. To be truthful what the film industry and what directors etc and funders want is ideas. They want big dreams, ideas, creativity and huge things that are extraordinary. Wanna make a big break in the industry then that’s what it has to be. If ur goin in, go in big.

Back