• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Would someone really do this?

I was playing Mafia II and there was a chapter where the main character, Vito, had to beat up his sister's husband, who was beating and cheating her. This reminded me of a similar scene from " the Godfather ". In that case, I think it was the Godfather's( don Corleone) daughter. Anyway, how comes a character beats his wife under such conditions? I mean, he must know that a close character to her works for or is in the Mafia...

If I recall correctly, in the Godfather book Carlo had beaten up Connie right after the wedding when she wanted to keep some of the wedding gift money for herself. Connie went to her parents and Carlo was nervous as heck as to what would happen. But surprise, Connie came back and apologized to her husband.

Her parents had reasoned that a good marriage could not happen if the in-laws kept interfering and they told Connie that she should have listened to Carlo and be a good wife. That's maybe why Carlo wasn't afraid to beat her up later.

Of course Sonny doesn't have the same perspective as the Don so.... Plus in that era there were a lot more wife beaters and men who "prided themselves" on minding their own business.

May not work in a script anymore in a contemporary setting.

If you think that kind of thing doesn't still happen, you're very wrong.

I don't doubt that. I was just saying it may be harder to get audiences to accept that. I assume the OP found it incredulous.

EDIT: I think I recall finding it a bit incredulous myself in the film but after reading the novel the backstory made it plausible and also lended to the characters of the Don and his 3 sons for letting their sister keep getting beat up.

Last edited:
3429275_orig.jpg

Back