Who gets paid better customarily?

The executive producer, creator, director, or talent of a feature film? I've read about feature film crews and most staff receiving peanuts for their work, but what about at the very top of the heap behind a feature film production? Who customarily gets paid more? Less? Why? Do you have any examples to tell? Will you?

At what level of filmmaking? Low/no/mini/micro budget? Hollywood mega-budget? Somewhere in between? What type of film? This is another "How long is a piece of string?" question.

The executive producer, creator, director, or talent of a feature film? I've read about feature film crews and most staff receiving peanuts for their work, but what about at the very top of the heap behind a feature film production? Who customarily gets paid more? Less? Why? Do you have any examples to tell? Will you?

...and to cap onto what Alcove Audio said, typically the Executive Producer doesn't make much, if anything, up front. How much executive producers get paid depends on whether they invested money, their contracts, and on how much a project earns in revenue.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/info_8124394_much-do-executive-producers-paid.html

I've read about feature film crews and most staff receiving peanuts for their work,

On a no budget films this is true. On a high budget film this is untrue.

Name talent gets paid better than crew.

If that name is the director the director customarily gets paid more. Although not always.

The executive producer sometimes gets paid more than the director. Sometimes the director is paid more.

Who do you mean when you say "creator"?

There is no answer for this.... it's different for every film. Furthermore, why does it matter?

There are films where the PA might make more than the director (self-funded micro). On the major productions, the director might have the biggest contract but make less per hour than 50% of everyone else on set. Again.... curious why this even matters?

A muli-milliom dollar feature film.

Multi-million dollar budgets will most likely be Unioned. Yea, no one in that situation is making "peanuts".

I'd recommend you look up the IATSE rates for your area. Everyone on crew will be making a few hundred per day at least.

Then if you want to compare that to the above the line positions like director, you'll need to look up rates for DGA. Then for talent you can look up SAG.

You'd have to do a lot of research... but generally you'll see that above the line makes more than crew, name talent makes the most. Certain people are known to make more, i.e. famous directors/directors of photography.

Again.... curious why this even matters?
Because he's curious. And curiosity is a good thing.

You're curious. He's curious.

I've read about feature film crews and most staff receiving peanuts for their work,
So you read that most staff on a multi-million dollar feature film make
peanuts? Here in L.A. the PA (an unskilled job) on a multi-million dollar
feature film makes $150/$200 per day. The skilled positions make closer
to $400 per day. A union grip makes $34.51/hr. A typical 12 hour day
is $483. The union rate for the Craft Service Person is $29.43/hr. The
Craft Service Foreperson is $33.00/hr.

The DGA minimum is $18,132 per week with a 13 week guarantee.

A muli-milliom dollar feature film.

When I say "Creator" of a feature film, I mean to describe a person who came up with the idea for the film and is also managing the entire production of it. A filmmaker who is turning his own creative idea into a feature film. I think "Creator" is an appropriate term, but the person who brainstorms the idea for the movie may not always direct and produce it themselves.

Like when someone is designated the "Creator" of a television series, they are usually the person who brainstormed the show in general.

When I say "Creator" of a feature film, I mean to describe a person who came up with the idea for the film
So the writer?

and is also managing the entire production of it.
So the producer?
I think "Creator" is an appropriate term, but the person who brainstorms the idea for the movie may not always direct and produce it themselves.
So the writer? The person who comes up with the idea for the movie,
writes the script but doesn't produce or direct the movie is usually called
the writer.

Like when someone is designated the "Creator" of a television series, they are usually the person who brainstormed the show in general.
So you're asking about the creator of a TV series rather than about the
writer of a feature film.

I think he might be talking about the "story by" credit

Such as Willow
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096446/

Story by George Lucas
Screenplay by Bob Dolman
Directed by Ron Howard
Produced by Nigel Wooll

With the case of Willow, as I assume most other people with the "Story by" credit...

Lucas is an Executive Producer of the film. He got a financial gain based on the outcome of the film, but we can also assume he invested a bit of that big budget.

Let's take another "Story by" credit case...

Pixels, the new Adam Sandler movie.

Patrick Jean has the "Story by" Credit. However as he's nothing big and most likely does not have much monetary power behind him, we an assume that his Executive Producer credit isn't a true executive. He was most likely given 1 of two options.

1) A large sum of money to purchase the feature film rights to his short film as well as giving him that exec credit.

or

2) He's been given a percentage of the profits that the film will eventually gain or potentially leave him as broke as before. As well as the wonderful new exec producer cred on his IMDb.

Back