where do you find crew?

when you do your film projects? Do you ask friends or take only experiences crew and pay them... What if you don't have the funds? How do you make short films? or any other films?

I'm broke guy with own equiptment so I usually ask my friends who don't even know how to hold a mic :hmm:

i could never get any crew to show up. i had to hold the mic and direct at the same time, it sucked but we got it done. also sometimes i made an actor do it that wasn't in the scene

I tried very hard to keep friends off the set. You dont wanna go crazy and have them doing a bunch of stuff and get mad at you on a personal level. That being said the crew i did get ended up becoming friends and now we have a "movie family" that works on almost everything.

I got my crew from social media mainly and a couple ads on craigslist. Facebook can be a huge help. Join local filmmaker groups and just post the crap out of it. People will come.

I'm broke guy with own equiptment so I usually ask my friends who don't even know how to hold a mic
Can they learn? Can you inspire them to help you and learn
something new at the same time?

Volunteer on other sets. Meet people. Add them to your database. Build up favors. Cash them in when you need help.

As of right now I have some close friends that are more than happy to act for me.

I use one camera to shoot, then do all the post production myself.

They are really good to work with though.

I started two years ago by joining a local acting group, met a few people there. I've advertised in the local Kijiji (an online want ad site) for people interested in various aspects of filmmaking. A lot of people have come and gone; many people _think_ they want to make films, but in reality they aren't prepared to put in the effort required. Over time though, the group has grown and there are 3 or 4 of us that are very dedicated, and a few more who enjoy the production part more than the pre and post. From them, we seem to finally be able to get a decent crew together.

It's taken a long time, lots of work, constantly looking, talking to people, asking people, etc. But it all started with a Kijiji ad and joining a acting workshop.

CraigL

when you do your film projects? Do you ask friends or take only experiences crew and pay them... What if you don't have the funds? How do you make short films? or any other films?

I'm broke guy with own equiptment so I usually ask my friends who don't even know how to hold a mic :hmm:

I like to find people who could be interested and if they do something for me, I do something for them. As I'm based in London, I know there is a small group of people and keep running into the same people over and over again.

One of them, on this forum, is a pretty talented guy, much better than me with a camera and there's a great sound guy on here as well.

Back