• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Whats the best lighting kit for a RED cam?

my friend has an epic red cam. I have $5000 to spend on equipment. We want to get arri lights. Which ones are the best for our needs? We're filming comedy short films and maybe try a feature.

You, or he, is the cinematographer. There's no one light or kit of lights that is going to work for every single situation. And honestly, it shouldn't really matter whether you're shooting red epic, 7d, 35mm or Phantom Flex. Each camera is going to need slight lighting tweaks, but the base lighting should be pretty similar no matter what you're shooting on.

The Red Epic is also not a 'magic camera' that gives you amazing images as long as you point it at something and stick a light in there. To use it properly, you need to know how to light, design shots etc - essentially how to be a cinematographer.

What mood do you want out of the scene/scenes? What look? How do you want to light it?

I might light one scene with an HMI and a kino Flo, another scene with an open face 2k, and 150w kickers, and a third scene with 4 1k lights gelled with different colours.

It really depends on the look, mood, tone you want to set. As I say:

There's no one light or kit of lights that is going to work for every single situation.

Are you shooting mostly outside, or in daylight conditions? If so, then 1k and under lights are going to be tough to use, because balancing them is going to end up cutting your light output by 75%.

Same kit you'd use for lighting or an iPhone or aiptek.

learn to light, then re-ask the question. I like to have a couple of 500w+ lights on hand with barndoors, 650s would be better. It's nice to have a 1K or 2 to use when you need more light for exposure, or a longer throw (read up on the Inverse Square Law -- learn it, live it, love it).

Having a 2K or 5K on set is really nice for situations where you have to combat the sun, or where you have a REALLY long throw that's needed (or lots of filtration).

Plenty of good extension cords, power splitters, dimmers, gels (CTO, CTB, Diffusion), c-47s for attaching the gels, gloves so you don't burn yourself... etc are nice to have, and an outlet tester for your gaffer to figure out where there is power to use (watch out for overloading a circuit).

some guys selling an ARRILITE kit on craigslist

2x 300 watt Compact Fresnels,
1x 650 watt Fresnel
1x 1000 watt Arrilite Focus Flood.

for $3000
That's a cute little starter kit. I have all four of those lights and they are
fine in very limited situations. But not "the best" kit by any means. And
for your money you're not going to come close to the best.

When spending your five large do not forget light shaping equipment;
more commonly called the grip equipment. C-stands, flags, scrims, nets,
silks and all the accessories needed to use those items - items knightly
mentioned.

With the RED you really need a much better kit - but that's a fine starter.
If you're truly serious about the "best" lighting when using the RED you
should rent. Five large will get you the "best" kit for a couple of weeks.

Yeah, good call on renting here. I'm normally a huge proponent of equipment ownership, but if you've got hold of a camera that can REALLY show off quality work, you should get as much gear as you can to get the picture "Right!"

I actually think you're better off renting, granted depending on what your position on a film set is. If you are a small crew who make a lot of stuff, and are essentially your own production company, it can be better in the end to buy.

However, on a project by project basis, renting is much better and will give you way more bang for your buck. For $5k, you could probably almost get a gaffer and truck for your short, assuming a 3-4 day shoot.
For a longer feature you'd get a pretty good kit for a few weeks, or the top kit for a couple.

ok thanks a lot everyone!!!

man 5 large isnt good enough!? i was planning on the $3000 light kit and a $2000 shotgun mic

Three large is fine for a little starter light kit. Most of us here started
with far, far less. I started with about $250 in work lights and home
made flags and scrims. My first light kit was $750 which I bought
several years later. I'm with knightly, I'm a proponent of owning, but
there are times when renting is much better. If you and your friend
are teaming up (he with the camera, you with the lights and audio
gear) then owning is the way to go. If you are a serious filmmaker
you will "hire" an audio guy with gear and a gaffer with gear for your
production. Your friend who owns the camera would be the logical
choice to be the DP. But if he is just loaning you the camera and you
will be shooting then you really, really need an experienced gaffer to
make the lighting decisions.

Without knowing your production needs we're all stabbing in the dark.
So get the kit you already mentioned (it's a fine starter kit) and start
saving for more. Without the other lighting equipment you're still very
limited, but with that kit you can start.

Without knowing your production needs we're all stabbing in the dark.

This.
Plus, you or he as DP would/should have your own styles about lighting a scene. Just as Roger Deakins might light a scene by shooting an HMI into muslin, whereas other DPs would use 6 lights and create a completely different effect.

I'd also be definitely looking into acquiring an assortment of muslin, duvetyne, reflectors, foam core, cutters and flags, scrims/nets/diffusion, gels etc.

Back