What to do when frustrated or upset?

I am a beginning filmmaker, just graduated. Haven't worked in the real industry other than few jobs here and there on some indie movies. Some of the days, I am frustrated, upset, disappointed and even angry. It's very difficult to get job these days (I am in Los Angeles) and even the jobs I get, some aren't very good experience either. Recently, I was hired to edit (& color correct) a music video. Pay: 10 hour day, $100. I worked for 4 days as they asked me three different versions. At the end, they paid me only $200 and said they were overrun on the budget and they will keep me in mind and hire me for future projects. To me, it is not about the $200. It is about the integrity. Don't they know that they were short on budget before they hired me. If they have told me the real situation and be honest about it, I still would have taken the project. At this time, I am more towards developing my contacts than just making money. This is just one experience. Myself and my friends have other bad experiences too.

I know frustration and upsets are part of a package in this film making business. I am only 24 and I haven't even started working in the real industry. These days I go to gym and workout 15, 20 minutes to get my mind clear. Sometimes I go for a long walk. How do you all cope with diasspointments? Is that anything you do that makes it forget and start everyday new?

How do you all cope with diasspointments? Is that anything you do that makes it forget and start everyday new?

I get over it and move on.

This is an industry of crooks trying to make a dime. Have everything in legal documentation, sue the shit out of him if he doesn't pay.

If you don't want the hassle, just get over it and remove them as a contact (/resourse) because they are trash.

People try to take advantage of 1099 workers all the time, it's bullshit and very frustrating.

All you can do is get taken advantage of enough times that you learn what to look out for and learn how to avoid it happen again to you in the future.

What you got here was a valuable experience, so don't be too frustrated be happy that you've learned a lesson.
It's all about the upfront agreement - you put things in that agreement like if you ask me for 3 versions you're going to pay for each one. Pay some in the middle - don't wait til the end for all payment, etc.

Think about what you can do to protect yourself.

Hollywood is nothing but a culture of exploitation/sleaze (did you miss out on the half century of insider movies, Kenneth Angers "Hollywood Babylon"?, studios try to screw over big stars and producers all the time- why not you? every time? . I would suggest you buy an family size jar of lube, bend over, lock the knees and grab the ankles and expect the worst!

1. Always get it in writing.
2. Be a pain in the ass to them if they try to renege.
3. Don't hesitate to spread the bad word about them via social media - bad p.r. will cost them in the long run.

Also... You're the editor? Why did you send them a usable export?

Should have put a watermark through the entire thing. Only provide an export without some kind of watermark once you've got your full payment.

Include that in a contract as well, so they know right from the start that they can't screw you.

I know frustration and upsets are part of a package in this film making business.

It's part of contracting and freelance work.

How do you all cope with diasspointments? Is that anything you do that makes it forget and start everyday new?

I know this is going to sound really weird coming from me, but having an even keel is important.

There's a skill that took me a while to learn was the ability to size up an opportunity and work out how to maximize the potential (by asking questions and falling back on deal making experience) and/or learning when to say no and walk away. Learning to avoid these situations is more important than working out what to do when you get yourself into this corner.

While you seem to be getting advice about "contracts" and such, but for these low paying gigs, that's usually not going to happen. I doubt you're at that part of your career where you're ready for it. Getting something on paper is nice, but for small gigs like this, a lot of it is done over the phone.

While there are dodgy operators in which you should network so you can ask your peers if they're dodgy of legit, most operators are simply ill prepared to financially make a film.

This is an industry of crooks trying to make a dime. Have everything in legal documentation, sue the shit out of him if he doesn't pay.

It's good advice if you want to spend your life in court.

I'd suggest sending (or selling the debt if that is what happens where you are) to a debt collection business. You'll lose money but you can get on with work.

Should have put a watermark through the entire thing. Only provide an export without some kind of watermark once you've got your full payment.

I've thought about that as an option. It's not a bad option, most particularly when you're getting the work signed off in stages so the client doesn't release a half finished product. I don't like the idea as a method to induce payment but that's just a personal perspective.

Perhaps I've been lucky. I've never been stiffed on a job. In this industry, I've never had a client attempt to renegotiate after delivery, though I did have a couple incidents when I was working in sales a long time ago. I wasn't really prepared for it the first time, I just dealt with it, made the most of the bad situation, learned from it and move on. Then again, I pretty much pick the clients that pay fast to work with. It's not a money thing, I just like to wrap things up quickly.

It's all about the upfront agreement - you put things in that agreement like if you ask me for 3 versions you're going to pay for each one. Pay some in the middle - don't wait til the end for all payment, etc.

If your work can command this level, this is my preferred method. Set a payment schedule. In writing would be preferable for larger jobs. Once you build a rapport with clients, verbally will become more typical. I find it's also common for smaller jobs. X amount up front, Y and particular points of the job and Z after completion with the understanding that you own the material until all debts are paid. blah blah, whatever you feel you need. It fits working with corporations better where they need a long payment window (90+ days can be common and you're making them pay for the privilege).

The other method I do like is an agreed upon sum (hourly, daily, complete job) + alteration rates with serious discounts for prompt payments. This can also be combined with the above. It's a little more complicated.

If you were looking to work with a client with a bad reputation/bad history, getting paid up front or keeping funds in an escrew with terms in writing would be the only ways I'd suggest.

There are so many options. Myself, I prefer avoiding those who will screw you over. You need to build up a resume so getting into those "getting screwed" is what you need to build up your portfolio and that's fine, so long as your eyes are open to what you're getting yourself into. It's a long game. The money you earn (or get ripped off) now is inconsequential to what you'll earn when you're properly established and great at your craft.

You don't need to go through a lawyer to get things in writing.. Just write it down.
You also don't need to sue people just having it in writing will eliminate 90% of your problems!

You don't need to go through a lawyer to get things in writing.. Just write it down.
You also don't need to sue people just having it in writing will eliminate 90% of your problems!

It's very true. The thought of getting sued, generally makes people not do things that could get them sued.

:D Plus even if you did send a small claims lawsuit to them.. they'd most likely just settle knowing they were wrong and not wanting to pay for the small claim + your legal fees, as we know already they will always try to take the cheapest route.

How to deal with anything that upsets you:

do yoga and meditate.
(Not only does it 'empty the mind', it relaxes the body and nerves AND it helps to let go of useless things as it changes your perspective in a way where the 'ego' becomes less important.)

Learn from past experiences, but don't focus on them.
Focus on what you want.

What work do you want to do?
Are you specialized in editing?

Let's say you want to make corporate videos, but you are 'only' an editor.
Go find your own team and be the producer, so you can negotiate a fair pay for the whole team, including you.
Go networking to find clients.

For everything counts:
get out there to find the clients you want.
Build a strong portfolio, have a website, meet people.

And, like others have said: have agreements about pay in writing.

Last edited:
First of all i try to get around youtube and watch some of the fail videos or videos in genre.
If i can't access internet ,i do have an old collection of 'Whose line is it anyway' or Two and Half Men.
May be its for me,comedy is the thing working successfully.

Back