What genre should I put my short film in?

I am currently editing my third short film. I am trying to decide what genre it should be in. I originally had it as straight drama. But as I kept re writing I found myself adding more jokes in it to lighten up the mood because the story was so heavy to begin with. And after seeing the first edit there are parts that are actually quite funny. They worked well against the dramatic moments.

I am thinking of labeling it a comedy drama. What are your thoughts? I say comedy drama because it might make it easier to go to festivals. But if I label it as a drama then people at be surprised at how much they laughed, and that could be a good thing.

Thoughts?

Put it in the genre that you really like. Then, if you want more experience, put it in other genres.

Why not try it out as a table read first?

I don't think I was clear enough.

I have shot the film. I am trying to decide what drama to put it on. I'm trying to decide if I should label it as a comedy drama so people go in knowing there are jokes, or just label it drama and let people be surprised.

It was shot like an art film. We didn't really set out to make a comedy. But has comedic moments. It came out more along the lines of 50/50, Woody Allen/David O Russell/Kevin Smith/Judd Apatow type humor. Just with a really serious under tone. Maybe dark comedy?

Last edited:
It's impossible to help you categorize the film without seeing it. Is it really funny enough to call it a comedy. There's nothing worse than comedy that forgets the funny. Unless you're willing to share, you'll need to decide yourself.

I don't think I was clear enough.

I have shot the film. I am trying to decide what drama to put it on. I'm trying to decide if I should label it as a comedy drama so people go in knowing there are jokes, or just label it drama and let people be surprised.

It was shot like an art film. We didn't really set out to make a comedy. But has comedic moments. It came out more along the lines of 50/50, Woody Allen/David O Russell/Kevin Smith/Judd Apatow type humor. Just with a really serious under tone. Maybe dark comedy?

It's impossible to help you categorize the film without seeing it. Is it really funny enough to call it a comedy. There's nothing worse than comedy that forgets the funny. Unless you're willing to share, you'll need to decide yourself.

I agree. We would have to see it to really tell.
Because labeling something a comedy rather than a drama depends both on how many jokes there are, how funny they are to the general viewer, and how much levity they bring to the rest of the film as a whole. It also depends on how each person here might deem the use of the humor, and whether or not its execution warrants a label of comedy, or if its just jokes that help to alleviate tension, but nothing beyond that. Sort of like the difference between a piece of chocolate cake, or a glass of beer during a somewhat difficult time.

I mean, Breaking Bad has many funny moments within certain episodes. And even some of the more horrible moments can be seen as darkly funny if you're the right kind of person, and you're in the right mood. But no one would ever label Breaking Bad a comedy, or even a Dramedy, because there's just too too much darkness and disturbing acts of greed and violence. So the comedy therein serves only to help alleviate what might be too much of a dark and terrible story to bear without it.

Well the fine cut is done. But there composing and sound mixing hasn't been done yet so I don't want to put anything out there until the final result is in place. Though I spoke to a few people who watched it and they they it should be comedy drama.

FilmmakerJ: That is a great point about Breaking Bad. It was very funny sometimes. But really only because of how dark everything else was.

I guess once it out here I can I get more opinions. Right now I am leaning towards comedy drama.

Back