What do you dislike most about the modern film industry?

So, if you talk to me you will here how I dislike modern film and don't watch them besides a few select ones do that I consider most of them are to make for the sake of having a film to produce. It feels like they are creatively died and try nothing new instead having the same characters, plot and motives with a few changes.

I also dislike the focus on actors and hoping that the brand name or some person involved will make the film good.

I also dislike Hollywood as it seems like a trap for anyone besides producers.

So. What are your current dislikes with modern film?

I love the modern film industry.

So many creative people doing amazing things. More and more ways for
people to see more and more movies. Filmmaking has never been more
accessible, vibrant and exciting as it is today.

I'm sorry, but I can't wollow in negativity with you. I just see too many
fantastic movies and too much potential to dislike modern film.

I like that modern cinema has enabled more regional films to be produced than ever before.

I am also into the fact that I can shoot a film without taking a mortgage out on my home.

I recently watched "The One I love" and was pleasantly surprised to see that Donnie Darko had sex with a rom-com. It was a pleasant surprise.

I dislike how the post production industry is being trampled. Specifically VFX artists.

I like the new Blur album. That is a cool thing too.

I hate that major studios are mainly banking on super hero and sequel films, and only taking risks on a few seasoned directors for original films.

But on the other hand, this leaves the door open for smaller production companies to release more original films and they don't have to compete with the major studios, so it's a trade off.

Will tell you if I ever get there!

In life, it's always the journey. If someone doesn't like it, then they should take a different path.

Hmm, think I'll use this in a feature film script I'm writing...

I'm very happy with the film industry in its current state. Technology and the internet make it easier than ever to find great films by extremely talented filmmakers. If I dislike anything, it's that the big studios and distributors are less willing to take risks, so we're seeing fewer truly creative and unique films in theaters anymore.

I hate youtube for watering everything down and creating a society that cannot watch a real movie and every numbnut with a cell phone will post crap and call it a movie or some sort. Everyone now days has to have snippets of guys being kicked in the nuts or crap like that.

I have a love/hate relationship with the accessibility of modern filmmaking. I like that some people who otherwise wouldn't have had the resources/time to create films are now able to do so, allowing for new and unique ideas to be executed. I also think that the ease of making a film ta lot of people
I hate youtube.
I hate the culture of "follow for follow", "subscribing", and web series. I think it's all garbage. It seems like a lot of the content you see on youtube is based on a "quantity over quality" mindset; youtube videos are half-assed and quickly uploaded just so the user can boast about their "every week a new episode" release schedule. People just want to click though as much content as they can without getting bored; the amount of time the average person will spend watching something, regardless of its production quality or artistic merit, is diminishing rapidly. This culture is perpetuated by both the creators and the consumers, so there's really no one to blame. It is what it is. People don't care about art anymore, they don't care about meaning. I think apathy is the quintessential trait of the developed world; apathy that is born out of the realization that past generations have destroyed the planet, and where we should be attempting to clean up that mess, we realize that we're far too addicted to the culture of consumption which creates that mess. We won't stop because we can't stop.

Woops, went on a rant about youtube. As this relates to the actual industry of hollywood filmmaking...I think 90% of it is watered down to appeal to the lowest common denominator (this isn't really a revolutionary sentiment, just thought it's important to mention). Michael Bay. nuff said.

TL;DR: the ability for more people to participate in filmmaking just puts more content into the pool. There is an increase in good, unique content, but there is also an increase in bad, boring content.

Last edited:
Kids funded by mummy and daddy shooting with reds they don't know how to use confusing ISO with shutter speed and going to film school for years and coming out knowing nothing.

I feel like the only reason people in their 20s and 30s start complaining about the current state of things is because they thought things were sooo different when they were kids. When really, they weren't, we just had no idea what was really going on because we weren't allowed to investigate and explore everything. The world seemed safer because the news never affected us. The movies seemed more exciting because each cliche was a brand-new experience for our new eyes. And of course, super-heroes were amazing, and in many ways still are.

So I don't have a problem with modern film. I think it's still fair to take issue with how there are too many sequels and reboots of established franchises and not enough original ideas, or at least adaptations of lesser known but equally strong works. There is a mountain of untapped literature, comic books, manga, video-games, cartoons, and anime. Plenty to choose from if you can't come up with something on your own. So why not adapt them too?

But I also think that if you disregard what the indie filmmakers and the small-time low-budget creators are doing both on the internet, on television, and with smaller production companies, then you are missing almost half (if not more) of the industry as a whole. And to discount that as a change for the better by only focusing on the downsides of the big-budget Hollywood trends is simply short-sighted and only ends up making you feel bitter for no good reason.

The superhero movies are getting a little stale, but they're not out yet. And we have plenty of new stories to look forward to with Star Wars as well. So long lasting franchises are not dying, they're only going to get bigger and more varied until this bubble bursts. And I'm pretty sure somewhere along the line, the bubble on big-budget films will burst. The prices cannot keep rising as they are if movie companies want to make any sort of reasonable profit for a reasonable price. And ticket prices cannot get higher than they are, or I myself may stop going as often as I do. And I absolutely love going to the theater, especially to IMAX ones.

The best thing that people in our position can do is journey forward, pursue the films we want to see made, and make them happen in what ever way we feasibly can. If they make an impact, or if they cause a change somewhere along the line to help improve the industry as a whole, then we've made our mark. If they don't make a change, at least we did something that made us feel happy and proud: to know that we made something that exemplifies who we are as individuals and what we care about. And if others like what we've done, all the better.

So get your head out of the gutter and look for the positives I say.

I hate how only big budget and small budget films are being made and the middle-budget films are fading away.

What would you call middle budget? And why would we need middle-budget films if small-budget are becoming more acceptable and possible despite all of the big-budget. Why spend $40,000,000 when you can get the same thing accomplished for $12,000,000? Almost every Oscar-bait/Film Fest movie out there lies below $20,000,000, right? So what's wrong with that. They all look great, they have solid casts, and they don't rely on effects too much. Besides which effects run about $10-$20,000,000 extra if that's really necessary for a story, which would put it around middle budget. But if people wanted to make middle budget films with big effects in them, I think more people would be doing it. But not everyone in Hollywood is like me: I love big fantastical effects and grand adventure stories, but not everybody wants to tell those. It takes a particular person with a whimsical eye, like Terry Gilliam, Wes Anderson, or Hayao Miyazaki if you want to involve animation as well.

Back