• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

What do you call this type of lighting?

I really like the lighting in the first two James Bond movies, and want to practice doing it. Some examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfQYN19_LTU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k_LOWBvWCw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU98uP7pXA8

My filmmaking collaborators tell me that it's film noir they think. But when I got to youtube and google for film noir tutorials, the ones they give are much more extreme by comparison, like Sin City or The Big Combo extreme. What do you call this lighting style, if it has a name?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Thats the Hollywood fresnels... I wouldn't call it noir,even though some do. Classic era lighting?
You can pretty much forget trying to replicate that on a low budget

Edit: and it is not high key lolz

The trailer has EVERY thing in it so no point in describing it..

Here is my thoughts on the Train Cabin clip..

Id say its "Motivated Portrait Style" Lighting. Where the first job of the lighting is to make the actors look awesome, but the sources are "motivated" by practicals, windows, etc. Note how the gun shot that breaks the light bulb, "explains" the angle of the earlier light setup.

Okay thanks. What lights would be good for getting this look. I know they use super bright ones back then, which I will not use. But is 500 halogen or above okay, or should I use a different light entirely? Daylight balanced lights might look even better. But what is the best for this lighting look since I have to buy them first? Thanks.

Okay thanks. When it comes to my camera settings such as color tone, contrast, saturation, and sharpness, what settings are best for achieving that look?

Some say to shoot flat, but since my Canon T2i is H.264, their isn't a lot of room for color grading in post, and so far shooting flat does not produce the best results once graded. Though sometimes not shooting flat looks too overcolored in the camera too under certain lighting conditions.

Also can a 2000 watt halogen light be powered by regular outlets, or is their a catch?

Last edited:
Video 3 is pretty much the textbook example of high-key! Video 1 isn't entirely high-key, but mostly.

Video 2 starts high-key, and quickly becomes low-key. Maybe the transition to low-key is the only thing baoliun saw. Or, maybe he doesn't recognize high-key when he sees it.

I'm still waiting for my prize! H44, when are you going to start awarding people who answer your questions the fastest?

"High Key", if I understand it correctly, basically just means that everything is lit. You can see everybody and everything. There might be some shadows, but they're not dark enough to obscure your view of anything. :)

I think high key might mean that everything it's lit with a harsh light as oppose to soft. That's what I like. Hard just looks more cinematic to me, as oppose to using softer lights with soft boxes.

I think high key might mean that everything it's lit with a harsh light as oppose to soft. That's what I like. Hard just looks more cinematic to me, as oppose to using softer lights with soft boxes.

I fail to see what's 'not cinematic' about these images:

socialnetwork-251_zps72aa5800.jpg

socialnetwork-233_zps3c2e4410.jpg

socialnetwork-184_zps2fc43c78.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe it's just my personal taste, but a lot of times I find really soft lighting to be kind of documentary style or something like that. Nothing wrong with that, I just don't like the look personally as much.

Maybe it's just my personal taste, but a lot of times I find really soft lighting to be kind of documentary style or something like that. Nothing wrong with that, I just don't like the look personally as much.

Sure, but would you say the shots I posted above from The Social Network are not cinematic? They're all light using soft lights, just shaped soft lights. In some cases, really soft lights.

Can you find me some examples of Hollywood films that employ the non-cinematic soft lighting you're talking about?

No you're right, The Social Network is cinematic. I guess I just like harder lights with more shadow. Maybe cinematic was not the right word. I just don't like the style as much personally :) For some scenes but not the majority of a movie.

Back