• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Using 1080p and 720p in one film?

Getting ready to shoot a short film basically in one day. Just now started wondering about some shots that might be good in slow motion. I have the T3i which shoots 60fps at 720p which I would use for the slo-mo shots, but I was planning on doing the whole film in 1080-24p. Would you see a big difference in these shots? Could I use 720p only for slo-mo shots and 1080p for the rest?

im also planning on using 720p-slowmo with the t3i in a 1080p timeline.

for me im guessing im going to convert to prores 422, then take 720p to AE, slowmo that mofo, export as 422 again, bring into fcpx slot into the 1080p timeline, which would mean upscaling, but i doubt there would be an problems, unless of course i just fit it into the middle then add some background with vignette to try to hide it...

not too sure to be honest, i think input from others would really help.

or we could just test it more ourselves, which in theory we should do..

I guess there's the possibility of downscaling all the 1080p footage to 720p, but I guess my only concern is that 720p is too low quality? But I've seen 720p stuff that looks really good, and a lot of people say it gets a bad rap......I don't know...all I know is I don't have much time to figure it out, haha. Probably should have thought about this before.

oh i thought about 1080 to 720 but for me i just dont think anyone would take it as a serious short film then just some muck around.

so im going to upscale, il do some comparisons later and post them up if i have time

Outputting terms of frame rate? Or like, to youtube, dvd, etc?

If all goes well I'd like to submit this to festivals, which will probably require putting it on a dvd.
Like I said before the final product will be 24fps.

Maybe I don't know what you're asking, haha. I'm still kind of a noob when it comes to rendering and formats and stuff....I've always just rendered my videos out in wmvs with no thought of the other options, but now I've started to realize that there are better configurations depending on the source footage.

To be honest, even the RED cameras use a lower resolution for slow motion. People mix and match 720P and 1080P footage all the time. If you didn't notice on theirs, you won't tell on yours either.

You can easily downscale or upscale, both will work perfectly fine. You won't have any issues with people taking your film less seriously; that's more dependent on the quality of film.

Thanks for the replies guys! Looks like I'll be fine then, while I'm here...anyone know about shutter speed for 60fps? I hear it should be 1/125 but others say to put it as high as possible depending on light.

I can select 25fps or 30fps for either 1080p or 720p.

But, the DVD authoring software specifies 720p is PAL and 1080p is NTSC.

I'm not sure what DVD authoring software you're using, but that's not what the difference is.

720 tends to be used in broadcast, often because of bandwidth limitations.

The difference between NTSC and PAL had to do with the power supply, the standard definition broadcast standard, and the frame-rate (which is linked to the power supply of the countries they take place in). PAL is used in 50Hz countries, and so shoots at 25fps (or 50 interlaced frames, say for SD broadcast), NTSC or 60Hz countries, compatible with 30fps(29.97) (or 60/59.94 interlaced frames), as well as 24fps(23.97).

This all relates to SD, more specifically SD broadcasting. It's not such an issue with HD, and you can quite easily shoot 24fps in a 50Hz country, just that you'd need a 172 degree shutter to reduce flicker, as opposed to 180 degree. You'd only really shoot 24fps in a 50hz country if you were planning on initially releasing into a 60Hz country, such as the US. Otherwise, if you were only planning to release in your own country, there'd be no point shooting 24fps in a 50Hz country, as you'd just be creating issues for yourself, especially with audio for absolutely no gain.

Back