• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Usage of my two lights

Hey guys.

Tomorrow I'll be shooting my first shortfilm with lighting gear. I've borrowed two lights from my school, but I've no clue how to use them. I know there is a lot of customization when it comes to lighting, but I'd like to hear your inputs.

I'm going to record inside a rather large guestroom with windows - in daylight. It's a comedy. Should I use any filter?

They look like this:

mnUri4N.jpg

Thanks in advance!

What's the scene? What's the mood? What are you shooting on? What lenses are you shooting on? What stop do you want to shoot at?

It's the intro scene to a shortfilm about a guy who realises he has grown his first pimple - just before his dream date. Starts with the guy inserting his iPhone in the loudspeakers, then dressing on, just taking a quick look in the mirror when he sees the pimple. He goes kinda crazy, decides to call his mom in order to ask what to do, but she doesn't answer. So, the mood is normal-good-ish.

Shooting on Canon 550D with Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 lens.

Can you please explain what you mean by "What >stop< do you want to shoot at?"? :)

Thank you!

What F-stop do you want to shoot at? With only two open-face lights, it's probably going to be difficult to much super-interesting. You'll probably want to gel them with 1/2 or Full CTB to match the outdoors. Without knowing the setup of the room it's hard to give much advice. I might use one as a backlight, or side light.

A lot of it will probably come down to the positioning of the protagonist. I'd probably position him side-on or with his back to the window, have one light probably with something like Opal Frost and 1/2 CTB as a backlight, and then I'd probably ND gel the other one, and put it through a frame of diffusion, a little bit more fronty if I wasn't reading enough on the front of the face.
I'd use blacks and flags to shape the light as necessary.

But, without knowing the location, the blocking etc. I'm sorta just guessing.

What F-stop do you want to shoot at? With only two open-face lights, it's probably going to be difficult to much super-interesting. You'll probably want to gel them with 1/2 or Full CTB to match the outdoors. Without knowing the setup of the room it's hard to give much advice. I might use one as a backlight, or side light.

A lot of it will probably come down to the positioning of the protagonist. I'd probably position him side-on or with his back to the window, have one light probably with something like Opal Frost and 1/2 CTB as a backlight, and then I'd probably ND gel the other one, and put it through a frame of diffusion, a little bit more fronty if I wasn't reading enough on the front of the face.
I'd use blacks and flags to shape the light as necessary.

But, without knowing the location, the blocking etc. I'm sorta just guessing.

I deeply appreciate your answer, but for someone without any knowledge about lighting whatsoever, that was very hard to understand. As I said, I haven't been playing around with lighting gear before - I don't even know how to avoid ugly shadows hehe - would probably be a start to learn that!

It was sort of touched upon above, but you want to ask yourself the following when lighting the scene:
QQMD: Quality of light, quantity of light, mood, and direction
PITS: Placement, intensity, texture, spread
DEC: Depth, exposure, contour.

You want to first block the scene, compose the shot, then expose with lighting that way you know exactly what's feasible as far as placement of the lights given your staging, and vice versa. QQMD, what sort of light am I gauging? This case daylight coming in from outside, which also answers the quality that you want to match. You already answered the mood of the scene, so your lights should reflect that. You probably dont want a high contrast ratio (something like a noir look) for a lighter comedy. And direction. What direction is the source of my key coming from? If you're establishing windows, chances are the sun is what you want to mimic as your key, which thus effects your placement of the key light.

PITS, Where am I placing the light? Again, answered dependent on your blocking, and the questions answered above. Intensity? How intense do you want the light. Is it a hard light with harsh shadows you want? Or a soft light with very diffuse shadows? Texture. Are you going for a wash over the character, eliminating the little details? Look for ways to add texture to the scene, or to highlight texture to give more depth and detail to your shot. Detail is always good. Spread. What's the spread of the light? Is it a direct beam through a doorway that give a very direct shaft of light, or an overall exposure for the room?

DEC. Depth. Always light for the farthest vista you will see. In the scenario described that's probably a wall or a hallway. Light those first highlighting detail, and nice shadows. Exposure. March your way forward to the next subject and light it. In this case if it is your actor, get him exposed to your desired Footcandles or Stop. This will include adding his/her key light, the fill (If marching forward, you will already have placed a backlight or side-kicker.) Contour. Use flags, cutters, things to shape the face to introduce contour and remove flatness. You want dimentionality in the face (think of it broken into four segments: one for each eye, one each for the lower parts of the face.) You want something different happening in each part of the face. That could be adding some highlights, or using cutters/fingers to remove spilled light and create some shadows along the jaw, etc. Play around with it.

But those are the basic questions you want to ask yourself when lighting a scene, and that'll let you know when you are set and ready to roll camera.

It was sort of touched upon above, but you want to ask yourself the following when lighting the scene:
QQMD: Quality of light, quantity of light, mood, and direction
PITS: Placement, intensity, texture, spread
DEC: Depth, exposure, contour.

You want to first block the scene, compose the shot, then expose with lighting that way you know exactly what's feasible as far as placement of the lights given your staging, and vice versa. QQMD, what sort of light am I gauging? This case daylight coming in from outside, which also answers the quality that you want to match. You already answered the mood of the scene, so your lights should reflect that. You probably dont want a high contrast ratio (something like a noir look) for a lighter comedy. And direction. What direction is the source of my key coming from? If you're establishing windows, chances are the sun is what you want to mimic as your key, which thus effects your placement of the key light.

PITS, Where am I placing the light? Again, answered dependent on your blocking, and the questions answered above. Intensity? How intense do you want the light. Is it a hard light with harsh shadows you want? Or a soft light with very diffuse shadows? Texture. Are you going for a wash over the character, eliminating the little details? Look for ways to add texture to the scene, or to highlight texture to give more depth and detail to your shot. Detail is always good. Spread. What's the spread of the light? Is it a direct beam through a doorway that give a very direct shaft of light, or an overall exposure for the room?

DEC. Depth. Always light for the farthest vista you will see. In the scenario described that's probably a wall or a hallway. Light those first highlighting detail, and nice shadows. Exposure. March your way forward to the next subject and light it. In this case if it is your actor, get him exposed to your desired Footcandles or Stop. This will include adding his/her key light, the fill (If marching forward, you will already have placed a backlight or side-kicker.) Contour. Use flags, cutters, things to shape the face to introduce contour and remove flatness. You want dimentionality in the face (think of it broken into four segments: one for each eye, one each for the lower parts of the face.) You want something different happening in each part of the face. That could be adding some highlights, or using cutters/fingers to remove spilled light and create some shadows along the jaw, etc. Play around with it.

But those are the basic questions you want to ask yourself when lighting a scene, and that'll let you know when you are set and ready to roll camera.

Thank you for the elaboration. The DEC - depth tip is very cool. I'll try that.

Just as an update - today I tried to film with these lights. Let's just put it this way - HUGE failure in every aspect, sadly. First of all, the lights got extremely hot. As a complete idiot when it comes to physics, electricity etc. I didn't know what I was doing wrong. The black 4-piece thing you put on (I don't know it's name, it's the one on the picture) started smoking! That's when I knew something was wrong. Also, I had no reflectors and the light was like a sun - it lit up the entire room. It was way too much. Eventually I recorded it all without the two big lights - I only used the natural light from the windows and a small lamp I had.

My big question is - where did you guys learn to do lighting? Learn-by-doing, read any books, started working for free at some production company? I'm aware that lighting is essential for a nice aesthetic look - and that's why I really want to get into it.

EDIT: Sorry, I should probably have posted this in the newbie section.

Last edited:
The part in question are called Barndoors. I learned lighting through my school (film school lol), but there are a number of great books. Plus practice makes perfect, and sometimes it's all experimentation. Try to find a gaffer or someone with lighting experience and watch what they do, and ask questions!!

Back