Universal Basic Income

Their special skill is that they're cheaper than humans.
Really? Need more data, as the old school automatons used to say ... like actual costs (purchase, monthly subcription, software updates, energy supply). I don't see any of them for sale on Temu, so for now, humans would still be a heck of a lot cheaper (and more versatile) for any business I'm associated with.

You know those machines already exist, don't you? I've had one for twenty years - first appliance we bought for our house when we moved to France, even before fridge or cooker!
And yet roomates still get into fights with each other over dishes and plates in the sink, lol.
I know what you're saying, I have a dishwasher too, but it remains one of those things people want.. they want it to be more automated, to load and unload, etc.

There is literal decades of data about automation being cheaper than humans.
It's not with this specific machine, but there's still decades of data about automation. The results are in. Automation is cheaper than humans.
At first, new tech might be prohibitively expensive, but like time always shows, new tech drops in prices as it becomes old tech.

Last edited:
A report from MIT says the financial advantages of replacing humans with AI are still a long way off.
"...it will likely take many years for those costs to decrease to a level where these AI systems can be deployed by companies on a broad level, Thompson says."

Here's the link:
https://www.cnbc.com/2024/02/02/mit-study-using-ai-to-replace-humans-may-be-too-expensive.html
Thanks Mara.

From the link

The stuff that we’re seeing now is very exciting and wonderful, but I think it’s worth always putting it in context of this technology that, at least for the next five or 10 years, will be on a very steep improvement curve,” OpenAI CEO Sam Altman told Bill Gates during a recent episode of Gates’ “Unconfuse Me” podcast.

“These are the stupidest the models will ever be,” Altman said.

Very steep improvement curve for 5-10 years!
Truly incredible if these advacements keep coming this quickly for that long.

I hope we get the 3 day work week in America. A 4 day weekend!
What a difference that would make for everyone.

Any time someone predicts something (anything) happening in 5-10 years, read 25-30 years.

We could have a 4 day work week in this country now if....well, I won't go there :)

Small distinction, but he didn't predict anything happening in 5-10 years, he predicted the current rate of progress will CONTINUE for 5-10 more years.

And yet roomates still get into fights with each other over dishes and plates in the sink, lol.
See: it's a political problem, not a technological one! :D These roommates might eventually have the option of acquiring a Figure (kitchen assistant edition) but they'll probably end up fighting over who didn't renew the monthly subscription, or who clicked yes to the clothes-washing add-on without consulting the others, or whether or not to disable the foot-rub feature. Then someone will say they should have gone for the iMan 3 instead of Figure 15.0 ... :grrr:

See: it's a political problem, not a technological one! :D These roommates might eventually have the option of acquiring a Figure (kitchen assistant edition) but they'll probably end up fighting over who didn't renew the monthly subscription, or who clicked yes to the clothes-washing add-on without consulting the others, or whether or not to disable the foot-rub feature. Then someone will say they should have gone for the iMan 3 instead of Figure 15.0 ... :grrr:
And that's why they will hire lawyers like me. 😁

All these ChatGPT LLM type stuff are running on a chipset from 2022, and now...

New generation of AI chips announced!

a single Grace CPU can offer 30 times the performance for LLM inference workloads
one of these racks can support a 27-trillion parameter model. GPT-4 is rumored to be around a 1.7-trillion parameter model.

Jumping from 1.7 to 27 trillion parameters and 30x faster. What an increase, GPT-5 is gonna be noticably better.
With this hardware performance, we'll almost definitely get GPT-4 without any notable response delays

In another news... general purpose robot operating system

In OTHER NEWS - AI now generates 3d objects

Season 1 GIF

Last edited:
This is too funny 😄
After working on their robot for an entire decade, Boston Dynamics conceded that they cannot compete with Figure and retired it's robot.

Even with a decade head start they can't compete with this AI tech -it's that advanced.
It's the modern worlds 'great pyramid' a culmination of generations of people and millions of man-hours of work.

Boston Dynamics Robot GIF by Storyful

Last edited:
Back