• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Underwater Film

Hey guys I need a little help.
I'm currently working on a short that calls for a short underwater scene. i've been looking around for guides/information on underwater lighting/color grading/ etc. All the info i can find is based around documentary and that kind, nothing on narrative filmmaking. Any advice on where I can find info? Oh - I'm also shooting on a T2i.

if its for one scene, you might consider finding a gopro HD for the shot. A lot less trouble underwater I imagine..

I think the lighting techniques would be the same, only the gear would be different... bets bet here is to look for examples in movies and try and deconstruct the lighting setup..

Tell us a bit more about the action in the shot, and we can look for a sample screen cap..

Basically the hero drops into the water, eyes closed. He slowly opens his eyes and see's a girl swimming toward him, he smiles ecstatically and kisses her, grabs her and pulls her to the surface.

Will you be using Scuba? Are you a certified diver? These are the first questions that popped into my head.

I've shot a good chunk of underwater photos and video. The issues you will encounter are very similar to that of a still photographer. If you Google 'underwater photography" you'll find many resources. Amazon should have many books on the subject, as well.

An underwater work environment is extremely challenging. Things that seem easy to us on the surface, are sometimes impossible when diving. You are wise to do some research.

Things to think about (but by no means a complete list):

Safety! I'm a dive instructor, and one of my outings turned into a life-threatening situation within the first 30 seconds of the dive. I was loaded with video gear, a light, and a spare tank (thank God). Frankly, I was damn lucky to survive the 20 minutes that followed (I still squirm when I think about it). Please use caution. Even shooting in a pool can seem deceptively safe.

- Water/weather conditions. (safety)
- Water/weather conditions. (look & lighting)
- Water clarity.
- Since every shot is handheld, surge & surface waves can make framing a shot very hard.
- Depending on your camera housing, your viewfinder may be difficult, or impossible to see.
- Camera controls generally set on the surface, prior to entering the water.
- If the housing leaks, the camera is ruined.
- No rack focus. Auto focus can be very easily fooled by refraction and ruin your shots.
- The distances as written in your focus ring are NOT VALID underwater.
- Generally, I aim for maximum DOF, and shoot hyperfocal.
- Refraction will distort and magnify your image. You MUST familiarize yourself with this phenomenon before you try to shoot, because you can easily end up with useless footage.
- Chromatic Aberration.
- Plan and rehearse everything with the camera & talent while on dry land. Once you are in the water it's much more difficult to make your needs known.
- Anybody using dive gear must be a certified diver.
- Learn proper breathing techniques for cinematographer.
- Learn proper swimming techniques for cinematographer.
- Never allow a non diver to breath from a scuba system.
- Communication while submerged is difficult but not impossible if you rehearse your signals before you dive.
- Water absorbs light. So without providing artificial lighting, you will end up with blue-ish footage. This is why underwater photographers always use a flash. The further the talent is from the camera, the cooler (blue) they will be. Since the red wavelength is simply not present, there's no easy way to correct this with color grading. - Shoot with a wide lens, and keep your subjects closer to camera. - There is also an underwater CC filter than can help reduce some of the blue tint caused by light absorption.

** Plan on re-shooting everything later that day. Trust me on this; after you wrap you'll sit down and review your shots and discover something you either forgot, screwed up, or could have done better. If the cast & crew are already expecting to go back in the water, they won't hate you for it.

Research, plan, rehearse, shoot slowly & deliberately, expect to reshoot, and don't get hurt.

Thomas.

Last edited:
If any part of my previous post seems out of your depth as a diver, or cinematographer, I suggest you shoot all the underwater material in a backyard swimming pool. This way you'll be close to food, heat, fresh towels, and a computer. Just take care not to frame anything that looks obviously pool-like.

The previous poster has a good idea with the Go-pro. It's simple to use and the consequences of the housing flooding won't ruin your DSLR.

A night shoot in a pool, could give some very cool results. But DO NOT use regular studio lighting fixtures in & around the pool. One mistake and someone gets zapped.

These guys: http://www.theunderwaterrealm.com/ are making an independant film shot entirely underwater. The cool thing is, is that they do a weekly blog explaining the process and what they've had to do that week in the production. It's really interesting stuff, and they are really nice people so if you ask them questions they will more than likely get back to you :)

If any part of my previous post seems out of your depth as a diver, or cinematographer, I suggest you shoot all the underwater material in a backyard swimming pool. This way you'll be close to food, heat, fresh towels, and a computer. Just take care not to frame anything that looks obviously pool-like.

The previous poster has a good idea with the Go-pro. It's simple to use and the consequences of the housing flooding won't ruin your DSLR.

A night shoot in a pool, could give some very cool results. But DO NOT use regular studio lighting fixtures in & around the pool. One mistake and someone gets zapped.

We'll be shooting night-time in a backyard pool!
Nobody will be using any scuba gear...each take will be <10 seconds.
Any one know a good place to rent underwater gear for a cannon t2i in LA? We won't be diving past 10ft.

Also...I'm very curious as to what this life threatening situation was!

All respect to the scuba man, but that is overkill, just get some underwater kit for the cam, test it first by putting tissue in it then dunk it few times, as tissue gets wet easily you'll be able to see any leaks immediately, then without a tank risk your life by holding your breath for ten seconds underwater with some goggles and adjust and shoot.. Never done it myself though..

Salacious offers another approach to consider. Along with best practices come infinite ways to handle most any situation. If you have any further questions, I'd be happy to help.

Salacious, please feel free to use my name, Thomas.

Regards,

Thomas

storyboard the shot out, you may not need very many...
dont bother with a master...

underwater \ surface cross overs..

a full of him jumping in
a full of the girl swiming
a close up of his face
a close up of her face
a close up of the kiss
they rise out of frame
Close up as their heads facing each other bob in the water, all sparkly and romantic like..

storyboard the shot out, you may not need very many...
dont bother with a master...

underwater \ surface cross overs..

a full of him jumping in
a full of the girl swiming
a close up of his face
a close up of her face
a close up of the kiss
they rise out of frame
Close up as their heads facing each other bob in the water, all sparkly and romantic like..

That's basically what I'm planning on doing! I'm wondering how I should light it though? I'm a bit nervous to set up large lights on the side of the pool. Anyone know a place that rents casing and underwater lights at a reasonable price in Los Angeles?

Your wish to use waterproof lighting puts you into a different league. Since this stuff is a specialty gear it's going to cost more money.

Here's a start: HYDROFLEX
Click on PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS for some good info on UW Cinematography.
You could phone them as ask for their advice. Be honest, tell them you are an indie on a no/low budget shoot. I bet they give you some excellent tips, and , maybe a lead to some inexpensive gear.

Other sources would be local dive shops, and larger camera retailers ( who sometimes offer underwater housings & gear for rental).

Please post any info that you think could advance this thread.

Thomas

Last edited:
Avoid lights and shoot a bit earlier maybe? Darken in post?

Also don't most pools have lights in them? Using black wrap and some underwater sticky stuff control those lights, cheat your shots to use them etc..

Last edited:
Back