Uh oh - Apocalypse Now as SF?

Just read the article you linked. Was suprised to read my Cousin wrote the script (Tony Giglio, actually he's my fathers cousins son, so I think that makes him my 3rd cousin).

Sorry someone beat you to the punch! I did think it was a great idea (and still think Secret Sharer as a sci-fi short would be awesome!) Maybe time to rush a script to Asylum to get the mockbuster underway?

Related note, depending on the day, I think a remake of Casablanca set in Mos Eisley's Cantina (Star Wars, for the less nerdy) would be either awesome or painfully atrocious.

Then do it as a western or noir.

I'm not a western or noir fan, though I don't mind doing a short as a joke or something. But that project by Radar Films seems to have been stalled, because it's been two years, and nothing has happened. I checked out the Director's website as well as the studio's website, and no mention is made of the proposed film. There may be hope for me yet, but, if they do it, or if someone else does it, then I presume I should not, is that it?

I'm not a western or noir fan...
Me neither.
Just going in the opposite direction. ;)

There may be hope for me yet, but, if they do it, or if someone else does it, then I presume I should not, is that it?
H3ll, no!
MAKE YOUR VERSION!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_of_Darkness
The book's in the public domain.
Adapt away.

Look, the odds are pretty thin of you having very similar enough plot & story as someone else considering the different resources the two of you are sure to be enough to ensure "creative diversity" - even if given the same script to follow as an out line.
For God's sakes, look at the variety of submissions to any given 48hr film festival or similar challenge.

Furthermore, EVERYONE's gonna notice a difference between a homegrown film and a studio produced product.
Just... quit even trying to compete.
BUT... !
BUT... !
BUT... ! There are actually a lot of people that seek homegrown indie films and shun Hwood films, so... gopherit!

Just because a lot of other folks couldn't make a flying machine or sail around the world doesn't mean no one can.
Likewise, just because someone else can't find that magic opportunity to adapt 'HoD' doesn't mean everyone should just quit.

Last edited:
Secret Sharer or Lord Jim are possibilities, but I'm doing a web series. I was thinking that, with some twiddling, the first episode could be a low-budget film.

Hey why not?

I also like the idea of Casablanca in space.

Or how about Moby Dick in space? Already done by TOS? Oh well, you could still do it!

Anyway....

The Red Planet vs. Mission to Mars

Independence Day vs. The Arrival

Armageddon vs. Deep Impact

And those came out at roughly the same times.

I'm sure there are plenty more examples...

Oh you know what would be a fun idea? I was just reading this which says of Mark Twain's work, "All of this amazing American literary genius’s work is in the public domain." Somebody should try doing something from (as in shorts, I'm sure) Letters from the Earth.

Last edited:
Thanks, richy - I was hoping someone would say that. :)

Actually, an idea has been gelling in my mind. If no one knows anything, and, if The Artist can make it big, then there's no reason why a low-budget film can't also make it big, because, if no one knows anything, the odds are even by definition. So that opens possibilities.

I can do a Conrad adaptation on the cheap. :)

I think you're fine. If you've got a compelling story you can shoot, do it! The fact that you'll be working with such a completely different budget will force you to make completely different decisions than those other suckers, so you'll end up making a completely different movie. And who's to say that your version of the same basic story won't be just as worthy as the bigger budget version?

I'm gonna go for it.

But I've been thinking that, in my version, Kurtz comes back. I'm thinking of the stories about the Japanese soldiers who wandered in the jungles for decades before coming out, and there was an episode in the $6 million dollar man about Steve Austin going in to find such a soldier, and he does bring him back. That would be a nice change.

What say all of you? :)

Back