• Popcorn Points determine how popular a video is. You can click the popcorn bucket or simply react (Like, Love, etc.) and it will register a vote.

The Bat and the Furious (Brickfilm Short)

Tried to be a bit more ambitious this time. Took me about four hours to shoot. I wanted to try out the cameras the kids will be using, as well as try out how I want them to make backdrops using a display board and crayons. The most challenging part by far was timing things out. I had a script and a storyboard, but then I had to act out the scene a few times with a timer and multiply the time by 12 fps to figure out how long each shot needed to be. Overall, had a lot of fun with this one.

Upvote 4
Nice work man!

It got me thinking, there is probably a way to make this way easier. I think that in the near future I can build a special pipe for stop motion, where all it does is just remove your hand and fill in the places where it was based on other frames. If so, you could basically do stop motion without having to take your hand out of frame for each shot. Might require a red glove or similar, but I think it can be done. Basically a more advanced version of wire removal.

Or, now that I think about it. Why not just use wires to move the cars, and then use wire removal, which is already available? Basically just some thread and a piece of scotch tape under cars, objects, maybe a transparent square of plastic under a character. You could essentially film in real time or close, allowing larger scenes with less work. Wouldn't work for everything, but when it did, it would save serious time.

Nice work man!

It got me thinking, there is probably a way to make this way easier. I think that in the near future I can build a special pipe for stop motion, where all it does is just remove your hand and fill in the places where it was based on other frames. If so, you could basically do stop motion without having to take your hand out of frame for each shot. Might require a red glove or similar, but I think it can be done. Basically a more advanced version of wire removal.

Or, now that I think about it. Why not just use wires to move the cars, and then use wire removal, which is already available? Basically just some thread and a piece of scotch tape under cars, objects, maybe a transparent square of plastic under a character. You could essentially film in real time or close, allowing larger scenes with less work. Wouldn't work for everything, but when it did, it would save serious time.
I did do something similar for one of the shots - where the guns pop out of the Batmobile. I didn't want to spend the time animating the covers flying off, so I did that shot with OBS. Had to lift the car up high and build a lever to toggle the gear that works the mechanism, but once I built that it took three seconds to record it in realtime.

I like your idea, it could be fun to experiment with, but I do enjoy the process of tradition stop-motion too.

Short and funny. I liked it!
Thanks!

Back